Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What's it about? I've just got reading the new Jonah Hex and it seems quite good, if a little too 'villain of the week'.

how about Planetary? i've always been hearing rave reviews about it, but putting me off is the time between issues.

any of you read it?

I just finished reading the Supreme Power spin-off 'Nighthawk', which was rather good. Gripping crime thriller, along the lines of Seven etc, and continuing the Nighthawk/Batman parallels by having the villain reflect The Joker. Quite clever really, and an exciting read.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glaz
    how about Planetary? i've always been hearing rave reviews about it, but putting me off is the time between issues.

any of you read it?
    I have and it's decent, more reserved than the Authority with more in the way of an actual on-going plot. I've only picked up the first four trades, not sure whether the actual comic is still going, but it's quite intelligent with a lot of literary and mythical references that may elude some. It has an adventure style that is part detective, part action with an interesting over-arching storyline and mythos. I'd classify it as an intriguing novelty and worth a look if you have the cash and patience to wait for it to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarn
    I just finished reading the Supreme Power spin-off 'Nighthawk', which was rather good. Gripping crime thriller, along the lines of Seven etc, and continuing the Nighthawk/Batman parallels by having the villain reflect The Joker. Quite clever really, and an exciting read.
    Good to hear, I'd been sitting on the fence about picking it up along with the Hyperion trade

I highly recommend the Nighthawk mini.

Hyperion, on the other hand, I'm not sure about. It's far more fantastical and 'out there' than Supreme Power, which rather took me aback at first. However, the ending is rather nifty and makes it all more than worthwhile, so if you're not sure about it at first, make sure you get to the end.

The other problem is that the artwork isn't by Gary Frank, which is rather jarrring.

Blog Entries
    That is strange, I really like his art even if he is a bit arrogant about how good he is. Can I talk you into a review of one of them?

I caught a preview copy of a new Oni title Wasteland yesterday and it looks pretty good, it's by some of the people who did Queen and Country although I'm not sure if I like a black and white colour scheme in comics. The first issue is a 48 page bumper start so I may pick that up and see what happens.

Also been catching up on Y The Last Man and it's getting a little bit so-so to me, some of the recent events have been a touch on the ludicrous side and it's not as exciting as it was originally.
    I read Identity Crisis on the weekend, bit slow to catch up I know, and it was a bit weak tbh. The eventual killer that triggers all these events was a damp squib and has strengthened my belief major events suck. Still onward to Infinite Crisis, not holding my breath.

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by kater
    That is strange, I really like his art even if he is a bit arrogant about how good he is. Can I talk you into a review of one of them?

I caught a preview copy of a new Oni title Wasteland yesterday and it looks pretty good, it's by some of the people who did Queen and Country although I'm not sure if I like a black and white colour scheme in comics. The first issue is a 48 page bumper start so I may pick that up and see what happens.

Also been catching up on Y The Last Man and it's getting a little bit so-so to me, some of the recent events have been a touch on the ludicrous side and it's not as exciting as it was originally.
    I read Identity Crisis on the weekend, bit slow to catch up I know, and it was a bit weak tbh. The eventual killer that triggers all these events was a damp squib and has strengthened my belief major events suck. Still onward to Infinite Crisis, not holding my breath.
    Yeah, IC was pretty insulting on many levels. Infinite Crisis is fun though it is a bit stupid in many ways. I'll just say this "Beware of Superboy Prime's retcon PUNCH!. You'll get it, when you read the mini-series.

I read Identity Crisis on the weekend, bit slow to catch up I know, and it was a bit weak tbh. The eventual killer that triggers all these events was a damp squib
    Rags's art is nice, but Meltzer really dropped the ball on this series. It sold boatloads and I assume that's why DC is lettling Meltzer relaunch JLA. Blech. Give it back to Morrison or even Geoff Johns.

Still onward to Infinite Crisis, not holding my breath.
    Still liking this quite a bit. Last issue hits stands next week!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B
    Rags's art is nice, but Meltzer really dropped the ball on this series. It sold boatloads and I assume that's why DC is lettling Meltzer relaunch JLA. Blech.
    Any idea what the line-up will be or will that give away too much of the end to Infinite Crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B
    Still liking this quite a bit. Last issue hits stands next week!
    Is that issue 7 or 8? I'm only caught up to 5 but it seems like there can't be much left.

Registered as What?
    Any idea what the line-up will be or will that give away too much of the end to Infinite Crisis?

Is that issue 7 or 8? I'm only caught up to 5 but it seems like there can't be much left.
    7 issues and alot of Aftermath series like Battle for Bludhaven.

I think it will be the Big 7, there will be a zero issue in about a month. Meltzer pissed me off too much with Identity Crisis, and I just can't afford to add another book.

A LOT of aftermath stuff

...One Year Later...
    ...Secret Six....
    ...Shadowpact...
    ...Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters...

I think that is only the TIP of the iceberg, but a lot of it looks interesting.

Uh, Moderator
    Where are you up to with that?
    I recently finished the Safeword trade, and found it to be stalling a bit - the whole trek across America thing doesn't really work for me, and there hasn't been enough info on the tragedy to justify the story getting bogged down there - I want some exposition dammit!

Blog Entries
    I've just read issue 43, so I'm at least three trades ahead. It's getting a bit repetitive tbh and I'm starting to dislike Yorick quite a lot. The storyline has moved on with some daft events and a disappointing lack of variety beyond the 'Yorick gets in trouble - 355 bales him out' theme. I'm thinking of stopping reading it in favour of giving somehting else a chance.

Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    Sleeper Vol 2: All False Moves - Decent read, but it didn't quite capture my attention in the same way as the 1st one. Just seemed to be 'more of the same' to me.

Queen and Country Declassified vol 1 - I've enjoyed a number of the Queen and Country trades over the years (even if they don't have deep multilayered plots, they do raise some interesting points about the espionage game). Welcome return to the form of the 1st 2 trades.

Punisher Hardcover (collects vol 4 of the series - ie the Welcome Back Frank trade) - impulse buy, but not a bad candyflossy read.

Grendel - God and the Devil - The Grendel storyline's difficult to get into as there's so much backstory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grendel_%28comics%29). This particular storyline didn't quite appeal to me though.

Need to catch up on Lucifer, Fables and Gotham Central at some point.
    Last edited by fluffy bunny; May 8th, 2006 at 01:56 PM.

I just bought the Tron comic. Short, but interesting for those who liked the Tron 2.0 video game. Very good artwork.