Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Read quite a bit lately, been lucky in picking up stuff I enjoy.

Love Hina, Volume 1
    Love Hina, Volume 2
    Romeo and Juliet (the manga)
    Domu, A Child's Dream
    DNAngel, Volume 2
    Saiyuki, Volume 1
    Saiyuki, Volume 2

Still to read are Saiyuki volumes 3 and 4, Eden volumes 2 and 3, Old Boy volume 4, Shaman King volumes 1-2.

currently reading dark knight returns- miller

but i am kind of dissapointed, im nearing the end and dont really see what all the fuss was about. its my first ever graphic novel. and if this is really one of the best in the genre then im not very optimistic about reading more, although i have the watchmen, and the first sandman from gaiman to read, so hopefully its just a frank miller thing

one thing that annoys me about him, is his inner monologue of batman, some of the thoughts he has, would simply never be thought by anyone, theres no subtelty to it. most of the other dialogue is fine, but who the hell thinks about........; " oh this guy is fast, real fast, faster than me,......i have to find an opening.....blah blah blah." (not a real quote, but basically sums up all of batman's thoughts throughout the novel )

the story is good, and the art is pretty decent, and i do like the way it cleverly cuts into and out of different running situations, (like a tv show, while batman's in a big fight) its clever, but maybe used a bit too much.

im sure my opinions aren't totally valid, being a total newbie to this genre, but these are the things im not too impressed with, i want to see what other think of this?

Just finished reading Bone by Jeff Smith. Really good, well-balanced fantasy story that was simulatenously funny, thrilling, sinister, and charming. I especially liked the witty dialogue.

Also read the first volume of Castle Waiting, which my friend had recommended me. It was definetly a pleasant surprise: starting out as a retelling of Sleeping Beauty to become something much more weird and wonderful. The bearded lady nuns were a riot.

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by grechzoo View Post
    currently reading dark knight returns- miller

but i am kind of dissapointed, im nearing the end and dont really see what all the fuss was about. its my first ever graphic novel. and if this is really one of the best in the genre then im not very optimistic about reading more, although i have the watchmen, and the first sandman from gaiman to read, so hopefully its just a frank miller thing

one thing that annoys me about him, is his inner monologue of batman, some of the thoughts he has, would simply never be thought by anyone, theres no subtelty to it. most of the other dialogue is fine, but who the hell thinks about........; " oh this guy is fast, real fast, faster than me,......i have to find an opening.....blah blah blah." (not a real quote, but basically sums up all of batman's thoughts throughout the novel )

the story is good, and the art is pretty decent, and i do like the way it cleverly cuts into and out of different running situations, (like a tv show, while batman's in a big fight) its clever, but maybe used a bit too much.

im sure my opinions aren't totally valid, being a total newbie to this genre, but these are the things im not too impressed with, i want to see what other think of this?
    Your criticism is very valid. But when Miller did this story,it was(for its time) a story that gave Batman a very different look,feel and re-arranged what people that of Batman. As to the inner dialogue and what, Miller's use of these techniques are more than a way to advance the story,but give us an even more insight into a man who does what Bruce Wayne does. In many ways Dark Knight Returns is an allegory of humanity's sense of justice,compassion and the inner demons that drive us.

Still coming into reading this story now, it might come off as being disconnective for you. I see DKR as homage of sorts for long time Batman fans and giving them a new look at their familiar hero.

i finished it now and overall i like dit but i stand by my earlier observation while respecting about what was aid in the above post,

sandman and watchmen to read now, ill let you know what i think, alan moore looks to be the main heavyweight, so if i dont like the watchman then maybe graphics novels aren;t for me,

however im pretty confident that wont be the case.

but i am kind of dissapointed, im nearing the end and dont really see what all the fuss was about.
    Check out Ronin, and Hard Boiled. They are much more interesting works, IMO. Dark Knight is ultimately Batman product. What was astonishing at the time, was how far out they let him go with the property. So it's a gimmick thing. And that gimmick has been done a million times since. Consequently, Dark Knight feels dated now.
    Last edited by ArthurFrayn; May 8th, 2007 at 07:33 PM.

The last manga I've read are Claymore, an insanely good seinen manga about half-demon women with large swords hunting other demons, and Mahou Sensei Negima, which I thought was a rather stupid premise for a harem manga (a 10 year old mage who works as a teacher in an all girls middle school) but turned out rather fun once the magic battles started.

Slaine: The Book of Invasions, Vol1

One word for this: Awesome

I'm going to need more of this, and soon!

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Chronicles of Wormwood by Garth Ennis (#1-3 available to date) classic Ennis, adult content with just some of the funniest scenes in recent memory. A must have and top of my list

Read the first volume of Eden which is a post-apocalyptic manga; mature and well realised.

Also read Shaman King volume 1 which was fun.

Oh boy, I think I've found a manga I'm going to love! Today I read the first volume of Basilisk and enjoyed it more than most mangas I've read in the past. Has anyone else read them? The art is so refreshing and clean, a lot of attention has gone into it. It's about fights between ninja clans.

After reading Shaman King volume 2 I don't think I'm going to continue with the series. I don't especially like the characters, other than some of the ghost summons, and it strikes me as over all too immature. Not to worry, there's plenty out there.

Also finished Eden volume 2. Read it much faster than the first one, good stuff.

EDIT: Today I read Basilisk volume 2. Confirms it as one of my favourite mangas at the moment.
    Last edited by Monty Mike; May 26th, 2007 at 05:16 PM.

Geez, what a quiet thread. Oh well.

Recently I've finished:

Old Boy Volume 4
    Old Boy Volume 5
    Old Boy Volume 6

Great series. Volume 7 is out on July 25th (not long) and 8 (the last volume) is out sometime in October.

Uh, Moderator
    I read League of Extrtaordinary Gentlemen for the first time over the weekend. Entertaining stuff. Geez the movie missed the mark.

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eventine View Post
    I read League of Extrtaordinary Gentlemen for the first time over the weekend. Entertaining stuff. Geez the movie missed the mark.
    Yes.Yes,it did. The second volume is just as wonderful. I highly recommend it.

Uh, Moderator
    I read it a few days ago, pretty entertaining. Some of the relationships between the characters seemed a bit askew to me, but considering the nature of the characters I'm not sure that it could be anything else.

I picked up V for Vendetta as well, not sure when I'll get started on that.