Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    I finished off Old Boy 7 and 8. That completes the series. The ending was a complete surprise... a little bit of a let down I suppose, but at the same time I really enjoyed the bulk of the series so over all it was a pleasure reading them.

im midway, well, more like most of the way through Y the last man. its an interesting look at things, its an enjoyable read.

i looked it up as some thing to break up my reading MiracleMan, alan moore's original run on it. only run really, but im all together struck by how forward thinking it is. ill admit im not far in, but it is laced with his perculiar take on things and makes me think of an early ultimates. it has that remarkable realism to it and i cannot help but love reading every page. its an absolute SOD to get issues of unfortunately.

sorry to go on, but im curious as to anyone's take on ultimates 3, is anyone else totally... underwhelmed?

I just finished a four book series called "Living in Infamy" that was excellent. I never saw it in the shops and stumbled on to it by accident on MySpace. My next read is going to be the new Heroes hardback graphic novel...that looks really good. Anyone opened it yet?

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miracleman View Post
    sorry to go on, but im curious as to anyone's take on ultimates 3, is anyone else totally... underwhelmed?
    Not to put too fine a point on it, it's rubbish. Loeb has been very poor for a good long while now and he seems to have missed the point of the series. There's no direction, no subtle humour and it's not like there's even a story, I'm giving the rest of this volume a miss.

New fantasy graphic novel series, 'Light Children'

So far, so good on this new fantasy series of graphic novels - lots of promise. I read the first three chapters online and then picked up the first book in the series (it's about 100 pages, full color), and I'm now waiting anxiously for the second: http://www.lightchildren.com

I'd like to see this translated to film someday.

PS - the site is really nice, too.

Uh, Moderator
    The fanboy in me insisted that I read the the first volume of the Heroes companion piece. Originally released as a series of 5-6 page web comics, these stories (and sometimes mini-arcs) fill in gaps between episodes and back stories to some of the characters. I think this is one for the completists only unfortunately - the brief nature of the stories mean that most are reliant on the narrative arc of the TV show for structure or meaning, and reading them consecutively in the graphic novel format doesn't really work.
    Haing said that, there are a few little gems that pop up from time to time, and one particular arc of 5 or 6 stories (probably the length of a normal comic book) set in the Vietnam war provides one of the more cohesive stories with a denouement that made me feel I'd had some value in my purchase - one of those "cool!" moments.

Uh, Moderator
    I recently finished volume 10 of Y: The Last Man (Why's and Wherefores), which is the concluding episode in the series. This is really good stuff. As well as continuing with the humour of the previous books, this one got me to tear up at the end as well. It's the first grapic novel to do that, so kudos to Vaughan. The last few pages are brilliant, poignant writing. I've got to say I'm sort of sad it's over.
    I read Pride of Baghdad a few weeks back - is Ex Machina the next best thing to get a BKV fix? Or do I need to wait for Lost to come back on telly?

EDIT:
    I see that Cory Doctorow just gave the concluding volume of Fables a big plug. Is it worth looking at? Th first volume doesn't seem that easy for me to get, so don't ant to chase it without a strong rec.
    Last edited by Eventine; August 18th, 2008 at 11:48 PM.

I'm reading The Long Halloween, based on some graphic novels recommendations in the newspaper for those who liked Dark Knight. And reading the introduction, I realized I've never read Year One, which I will hope to obtain shortly. So far so good -- I don't like the way Catwoman is drawn, but I'm enjoying the Bat so far.

Stone of Tears - Terry Goodkind
    The End of Faith - Sam Harris

I have to have two books on the go. Fiction/non-Fiction.

Not sure how many of the Sword of Truth books I will read, but am enjoying the first two.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendSeeker View Post
    Stone of Tears - Terry Goodkind
    The End of Faith - Sam Harris

I have to have two books on the go. Fiction/non-Fiction.

Not sure how many of the Sword of Truth books I will read, but am enjoying the first two.
    Doh! I meant to say I was just read Therefore Repent (graphic novel).

I did not like that.

I never had much interest in comics, no real reason I just didn't get around to it. Last year a friend pointed me to an on-line comic (though there are now some books too). It's basically a parody of fantasy role-playing games (which I know nothing about so miss some of the jokes) but it's good fun especially if you fancy a bit of lighter reading. Recently passed the 600th strip!

Click below to check out the very first one....

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    I'm on a graphic novel kick these days. I just finished up The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Millar, and now I am reading the first collection of the Sandman comics by Neil Gaiman called Preludes and Nocturnes. I liked the Dark Knight quite a bit, and I only just started the Gaiman book, so I cant really judge it yet.

Blog Entries
    Crossed by Garth Ennis which is frankly disturbing on a level surprising even for him.
    Criminal - nobody does noir like Brubaker and Phillips.
    Punisher MAX X-Mas special - wrong on so many levels yet quality Punisher MAX writing, here's hoping Jason Aaron will take over from Garth Ennis on the ongoing.
    Immortal Iron Fist - my surprise title of recent years, crazy kung-fu movies meets rich kid meets intriguing mythology. Me likey.

Blog Entries
    Super Human Resources by an acquaintance. #1 came out this week, it is made of win with some of the funniest characters I've seen in a comic for ages. It'll be a four issue run from March to June and then hopefully a trade.

Hi there ppl, i was wondering where do you guys buy comics/graphic novels online?

thanks