Page 15 of 64 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Amazon, the Book Depository or Forbidden Planet mostly.

DMZ, The Walking Dead, and I just discovered an older one that I want to check out called Fade From Grace.

Amazon, the Book Depository or Forbidden Planet mostly.
    Thanks you so very much

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by n3kr0 View Post
    Thanks you so very much
    No worries. It will depend where in the world you are and whether you want to buy trades or singles (weekly, fortnightly, monthly etc), there are several good sites but obviously depending where you are shipping could be stupidly expensive.

author of Need for Magic swope01's Avatar

are Marvel comics respectable anymore?

So I'm a lifelong Marvel guy. I still subscribe and have been rumored to have a temple to Spiderman in my man cave. With the recent movies, fast food tie in's and the ridiculous overmarketing of everything does anyone still take the spiderman and X men titles seriously. I still like and subscribe to Spidey and xmen but whenever I mention them to other comic book people its like I'm mentioning fast food at a gourmet convention.

Blog Entries
    I think the dreadful One More Day ending and subsequent retcon of just about everything that preceded it put a lot of people off the 'new' spidey. Throw in the poor third movie (with metric poop-load of merchandise) and I think that right there was the spidey saturation point. X-Men and it's related teams have been at the same point for some time (see Garth Ennis The Boys for a great parody of the situation), with so many titles poor story decisions are inevitable and no guarantee on quality means buying an X-Men or related book is a gamble. Plus you know Wolverine in -- everything -- means anyone not in love with the character is kinda fed up of his guest appearances and multiple titles when other interesting titles are dying on the vine.

I think both Spidey and X-Men will always have their die-hard fans but the realisation is slowly dawning, especially with the advent of big comic book movies and the money involved, that these characters are huge cash cows and the comic storylines will always take a backseat to that.

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swope01 View Post
    So I'm a lifelong Marvel guy. I still subscribe and have been rumored to have a temple to Spiderman in my man cave. With the recent movies, fast food tie in's and the ridiculous overmarketing of everything does anyone still take the spiderman and X men titles seriously. I still like and subscribe to Spidey and xmen but whenever I mention them to other comic book people its like I'm mentioning fast food at a gourmet convention.
    I too am a Marvel man. However, I've never read Spiderman comics with any consistency. I am, however, a big X-Men fan.

I think people who don’t read them, don’t realise the quality of writing that is going on at the moment. Titles such as X-Factor written by Peter David are very strong at the moment. Matt Fraction’s work on Uncanny is also pretty strong since the move to San Francisco and Mark Miller’s Old Man Logan is a great story taking place in Wolverine at the moment. The Dark Reign era that is happening now is creating some interesting possibilities as well.

I’ve dropped some X-Men titles – particularly X-Men Legacy and Young X-Men (which has now been cancelled anyway). A couple of years ago X-Men went though a bad patch – the Rouge led team that contain Mystique and Sabertooth pushed my limits and I for one, didn’t care the Grant Morrison run on series either.

I dip in and out of DC comics, and I find them to be of a much lower quality. The Batman RIP thing was a massive publicity stunt and Final Crisis was confusing and bloated. I wouldn’t say that DC produced any higher quality mainstream comics that Marvel. Of course DC do own Wildstorm and Vertigo who do put out some more “high brow” comics.

What do these other comic book people read?

I've been following Green Lantern for most of my comic reading life and the stuff Geoff Johns has been doing since he relaunched the franchise (including Green Lantern Corps) has been great fun.

The only Marvel series I've been following is Thor and I really like what Straczynski is doing with the title. One of the benefits of the title is that it is fairly free of all that nonsensical Dark Reign/Secret Invasion/War of Kings/Annihilation/ continuity nonsense.

Blog Entries
    Yet strangely Thor, along with Black Panther, was probably the strongest Secret Invasion mini. Shows what you can do with good writing and continuity I guess. I'm enjoying War of Kings mostly because I love the space side of Marvel since my first Silver Surfer comic way back when, but Thor is definitely up there with Immortal Iron Fist, DD and both Cap's for consistent quality, plus one of those villains, Loki, you just have to hate

Uh, Moderator
    Would you say the recent Iron Fist trades are worth a look? I've seen some positive comments and am thinking of jumping in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eventine View Post
    Would you say the recent Iron Fist trades are worth a look? I've seen some positive comments and am thinking of jumping in.
    I would recommend them highly yes. I knew nothing about the character, nothing about Heroes for Hire (the old hero group he was in) or the Iron Fist's role in the Marvel Universe before picking up #1 on a whim.

25 issues later and I don't think you need to know any of that either, the character's origins and the world the Iron Fist inhabits is all explained to you. Brubaker is in top form at present and his skills bring out the best in Fraction who between them write an excellent, fun mix of mythology, kung-fu and modern ties to the Marvel Universe for the first two trades. The second is particularly awesome.

To me it's a lot like Punisher MAX without the X-rated stuff, you 'know' it takes place in the Marvel Universe but most of the time exists in its own little compelling world. The art at times isn't great in the second and third trades but it's such a vivid, interesting story they've created I was happy enough with the slight dips. Plus the storyline has actually gotten stronger with Duane Swierczynski taking over the writing, the third trade is a mix of stories about previous Iron Fists and the fourth is a really strong arc that takes us up to where the singles are at present.

I think if you like martial arts with a fun vibe, a deep history and an otherworldy mythology you really can't go wrong. With Ennis gone from Punisher MAX I really think Immortal Iron Fist, along with Brubaker's Daredevil and Captain America, is their strongest ongoing title. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    Yet strangely Thor, along with Black Panther, was probably the strongest Secret Invasion mini.
    How well do they stand on their own outside of SI? Thor particularly?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    How well do they stand on their own outside of SI? Thor particularly?
    I'm not quite clear what your asking, the SI mini's or the titles overall? The Thor and BP SI books don't require any knowledge of the actual event beyond 'Skrulls replacing humans to invade Earth'. Thor is written by Straczynski which gives it good continuity, some lovely art and as strong a storyline as can be given the event's over-arching limitations. BP is probably even better because Aaron pretty much ignores the event and goes all out, Wakanda vs Skrulls to the death with a fantastic 'soldier away from home' feel. I rate them both highly given SI being a let down in the end.

If it's the actual titles, which I don't think you mean but here goes just incase:
    Thor at the moment is getting tied to Dark Reign fairly heavily because Loki is one of Norman Osborn's secret evil cabal (seriously ) so it looks like the title is going to be split in two with one storyline about Loki and one with Thor, I can't really say more without spoiling what's actually happened to Thor very recently. I think the title is going to require the reader know a little about what's happening in the wider Marvel Universe, particularly as regards Osborn's 'Dark Reign' so I don't think it can be classed as 'stand alone', or outside of Marvel events as the first arc mostly was (probably due to Straczynski and Copell's success).

Black Panther is, disappointingly, in a reinvention phase and all the poorer for it. Avoid it for the moment if I were you, I certainly am

I just finished reading the entirety of Transmetropolitan, which was fantastic. Definitely a fan of the series (and of Warren Ellis, but I was before I started Transmet) and look forward to reading them again. Actually, I have been in a comic kick for a couple months now. I read Planetary shortly before Transmet and I have been bouncing around in the Batman comics. I read Fell, another Warren Ellis, a while back and loved that and only just now got around to buying the lot of them, so I should be reading those again here soon.

Rogue Warrior
    I just received a copy of The Wolverine Files, I won in a contest over on Blood of the Muse. First book I've ever won! It's really an awesome book, even though I'm not the biggest comic fan, but hey, it's Wolverine, ya gotta love him!