Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    I read the nine issues of Fell (Ellis/Templesmith) sometime last year and I loved them then. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I finally got around to ordering them. So I plan to do a reread of the lot of them over the next few days. I haven't been reading all that many comics lately, I kinda burned myself out tearing through Transmet (though I'd reread the lot of them in an instant). Atmospherics (another Ellis, because I am not much of a comics reader and am an Ellis fanboy) was pretty good, but I think I enjoyed the backmatter more.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Went on a comics binge this past week. Here's what I read:

Kingdom Come: This one I liked. I think the art was better than the story, which I felt was a little bit lacking. I've never been a fan of Superman, but I thought he was well done here, seemed more human and not so perfect.

Planetary: At first I felt like it was ok, kinda reminded me of x-files, but then as it went along, I really got into it, and by the end was pretty well hooked, and I really want to read the next one.

Batman: The Long Halloween: I feel like I cant go wrong with Batman titles. He's hands down my favorite superhero, and this GN was really great. I liked everything about it, and I really liked how the Batman characters were drawn. I loved the drawing where the Joker gets his teeth smashed with brass knuckles.

The Authority: This comic was badass. I flat out loved it. I cant wait to read more. All the characters/heroes are cool, and they have cool powers. I felt like this title had more to offer in terms of potential than some of the others I read. I thought the title did some new things, namely having two homosexual characters...who reminded me of Batman and Superman. I cant wait to read more of these titles.

The Invisibles: Which I did not like. I actually didn't finish it. I found little redeeming qualities in this. I didn't like the story, the characters, or the art. I can see that this title would be interesting for some folks given how it is vastly differnt from anything I've ever read before, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Read some more comics this past week.

The Authority Vol. 2 which I really enjoyed...I dont know if there is a super hero team I like more. I also liked how they battled a bunch of imitations of various super hero teams from Marvel Comics.

Y: The Last Man I loved this one, I am officially hooked by this comic. I have more of them on the way from my local library.

The Walking Dead Not my favorite. It felt a little juvenile for me at times, and the whole plot was predictable. I kinda felt like I had read it before, even though I hadn't.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    The Walking Dead Not my favorite. It felt a little juvenile for me at times, and the whole plot was predictable. I kinda felt like I had read it before, even though I hadn't.
    Stick with it if you can, it becomes one of the least predictable titles out there - there are massacres and surprise killings everywhere, it's something that really grew on me.

A few days ago I finished reading a wonderful graphic novel by the name of Palestine by Joe Sacco. I gotta say that I really enjoyed it. I make no claims of having much understanding or knowledge of the political, cultural, or individual struggles in that part of the world, I guess I've always remained willfully ignorant of the events there. I think that is why Palestine was good for me. I think if I ever knew anything about the struggles in Israel, I knew them only from the Israeli side. This graphic novel shows the individual stories and outlooks from the Palestinian side, and I thought it was quite interesting. I appreciated Sacco's willingness to get the whole story and make a presentation that didn't pull any punches, but at the same time, stay personally remved from the situations. I always felt that Sacco didn't try to push any views on me, or try to deliberately present only one side of the story, he simply showed me, the reader what he saw and heard when he visited and spoke with the people of Palestine. I really appreciated that.
    This is most definately a graphic novel I would reccomend not only to fans of the medium, but to anybody, I think it is worth a read for anyone. It certainly opened my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    I
    Thor at the moment is getting tied to Dark Reign fairly heavily because Loki is one of Norman Osborn's secret evil cabal (seriously ) so it looks like the title is going to be split in two with one storyline about Loki and one with Thor, I can't really say more without spoiling what's actually happened to Thor very recently. I think the title is going to require the reader know a little about what's happening in the wider Marvel Universe, particularly as regards Osborn's 'Dark Reign' so I don't think it can be classed as 'stand alone', or outside of Marvel events as the first arc mostly was (probably due to Straczynski and Copell's success).
    ...this is probably old news by now, but all this Dark Reign nonsense has caused Straczynski to leave the title. Which is a shame because it was really terrific stuff, even if it came out semi-regularly.

Blog Entries
    Yeah it seems like a few of the better creative teams have been nudged aside recently, which is a shame because Marvel's policy at the start of the new millenium to have top class indy talent on their books - Bendis, Fraction, Straczynski, Brubaker and more recently Hickman, Aaron has really paid off. That said Marvel have appeared from the start, to me, to treat Strac a bit shabbily. Whatever he ends up on I'll be reading it.

I also noticed recently that the hardcover versions of new trades, I was looking for Thor v2 and Sub-Mariner, have gone up steeply. I like having the HC versions but not if I have to pay a fortune, seems dumb business given the current climate but at least they do consistent HC versions *cough* DC *cough*
    Last edited by kater; August 4th, 2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: More griping

I'm rereading Cerebus and even now, some 30 years later it is still brilliant and revolutionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    A few days ago I finished reading a wonderful graphic novel by the name of Palestine by Joe Sacco. I gotta say that I really enjoyed it. I make no claims of having much understanding or knowledge of the political, cultural, or individual struggles in that part of the world, I guess I've always remained willfully ignorant of the events there. I think that is why Palestine was good for me. I think if I ever knew anything about the struggles in Israel, I knew them only from the Israeli side. This graphic novel shows the individual stories and outlooks from the Palestinian side, and I thought it was quite interesting. I appreciated Sacco's willingness to get the whole story and make a presentation that didn't pull any punches, but at the same time, stay personally remved from the situations. I always felt that Sacco didn't try to push any views on me, or try to deliberately present only one side of the story, he simply showed me, the reader what he saw and heard when he visited and spoke with the people of Palestine. I really appreciated that.
    This is most definately a graphic novel I would reccomend not only to fans of the medium, but to anybody, I think it is worth a read for anyone. It certainly opened my eyes.
    Seconded!!!

And his Safe Area Gorazde is even better. Probably one of the best graphic novels ever.

Comics I'm reading:
    Iron Fist (which is so-so right now), Daredevil (which is awesome - Brubaker rocks!), Hellblazer (the jury's out on the Milligan's run but John Constantine is one of my favorite characters so I'll keep on buying it no matter what), Fables (somewhat overrated but still good) and The Incredible Hercules (fun, fun and fun).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Surt View Post
    Daredevil (which is awesome - Brubaker rocks!)
    Are you reading the singles? Having just finished Brubaker's last DD issue I was wondering what other people thought of it.

I buy the singles, but unfortunately I only get comics every three months, so I've only read the first two parts of Return... Those rocked, though!

Blog Entries
    I won't spoilt it then

I actually just finished reading the Gargoyles comics. I loved the cartoon, and when the local comic book shop was having a massive sale, I went in to see if they had them. They did, and only at one dollar per comic.

I liked the fact that they were dark, the medieval references and really, the fantasy element of it all. It's a shame there are only twelve issues.

Today, I finished the final book in the Y The Last Man series. I read the entire series without any gaps and I am glad I did. This was a great series. I loved every page. I really cant say too much without straight up gushing, but I will say that I loved them. Probably the best thing I've read all year.

I was bored, did not really feel like reading and definitely did not want to watch any tv, so I took Iron Man: Extremis off the shelf. My first experience with Iron Man and, to be honest, probably my last. Could not stand the art and despite it being written by Warren Ellis, I was left bored with the writing.