Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    I've finally decided to work through the Wolverine stories in my Wolverine & Deadpool reprints. Works out at around 2 issues of Wolverine per reprint, and I've got 8 more to read so that's about 16 issues.

I read Wolverine #57 + #58 (I think) last night, and they were alright. I can't help but feel they're a bit silly though.

Spoiler:
    When Wolverine dies he goes to a sort of purgatory and has to defeat Erazer or someone to "continue living" but in one fight he loses and ends up with a soulless body so Doctor Strange appears and he explains to Wolverine what's going on. Bloody weird stuff!

"How many roads must a man walk down, before he gives up and steals a car?"

So those Wolvie comics? They're vol 2 issues #57-61 and the arc is named "Logan Dies". I've finished reading that arc and... Wasn't a fan. The art was fairly poor (Every male character looked the same, and that same look reminds me of Sly Stallone, not to mention the really awkward poses - especially in part 5.) and the story was a bit too out there for me.

Moved onto "Get Mystique" which comprises of Wolverine vol 2 #62-65. Only read part 1 so far, and the art has really improved. The story is a bit strange although I expect it'll be explained better later on. However, it's about my favourite blue-skinned lady (Mystique, of course) and I'm sure it'll be a great read.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Any fans out there of those old school Choose Your Own Adventure books?

The 17th issue of The Unwritten has a choose your own adventure format...Sounds pretty awesome. I read the first trade of this comic, and wasn't a fan, but Carey and Gross keep doing awesome things that grab my interest again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
    So those Wolvie comics? They're vol 2 issues #57-61 and the arc is named "Logan Dies". I've finished reading that arc and... Wasn't a fan. The art was fairly poor (Every male character looked the same, and that same look reminds me of Sly Stallone, not to mention the really awkward poses - especially in part 5.) and the story was a bit too out there for me.

Moved onto "Get Mystique" which comprises of Wolverine vol 2 #62-65. Only read part 1 so far, and the art has really improved. The story is a bit strange although I expect it'll be explained better later on. However, it's about my favourite blue-skinned lady (Mystique, of course) and I'm sure it'll be a great read.
    Hey Dwagginz- Have you read the Wolvie story Old Man Logan? The premise of that one is that 20 or so years ago the baddies got together and kicked the good guys' butts, once and for all. Now the villains rule America. Wolverine lives on a crummy little farm, has a family, and pays rent to some Hulk-folks. Hawkeye is also in the story, and he and Logan take off on an adventure across America to do some sort of job, and make a few bucks. It is written by Mark Millar, the guy who wrote Kick-Ass.

The first issue has been reprinted and is available for $1, but I haven't read more than that. You seem to be the resident Wolverine expert, just wondering if you'd read it and if so, what you thought?

I was a HUGE choose your own adventure fan back in the day!

I had the whole series and then lent them to a cousin years ago and they were never seen again

Quote Originally Posted by tbonepearson View Post
    I had the whole series and then lent them to a cousin years ago and they were never seen again
    Oh man! I'm sorry. That is sad...I was a pretty big fan myself, owned a fair chunk of 'em, but I don't know what happened to them. I'll admit that I've thought about trying to start a Choose Your Own Adventure collection, but I've never gotten around to it.

I'll be picking this comic up though.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Hey Dwagginz- Have you read the Wolvie story Old Man Logan? The premise of that one is that 20 or so years ago the baddies got together and kicked the good guys' butts, once and for all. Now the villains rule America. Wolverine lives on a crummy little farm, has a family, and pays rent to some Hulk-folks. Hawkeye is also in the story, and he and Logan take off on an adventure across America to do some sort of job, and make a few bucks. It is written by Mark Millar, the guy who wrote Kick-Ass.

The first issue has been reprinted and is available for $1, but I haven't read more than that. You seem to be the resident Wolverine expert, just wondering if you'd read it and if so, what you thought?
    I haven't got them, at least to my knowledge. They might appear in Wolverine & Deadpool, though, or I can just pick up the trade.

P.S. I'm faaaaaaar from a Wolverine expert. I just know some things about him from X-Men and Deadpool.

Now onto the Original Sin (I think it's Origins #28 onwards) story arc with Daken and Romulus. I know vaguely who Daken is, but I've no idea about Romulus. Best keep reading, eh?

Choose your own adventure

Might have to hit ebay and pick up the collection
    Really liked the Final Fantasy series as well.
    The comic looks cool.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
    Now onto the Original Sin (I think it's Origins #28 onwards) story arc with Daken and Romulus. I know vaguely who Daken is, but I've no idea about Romulus. Best keep reading, eh?
    Origins is poop, they will explain who Romulus is but you'll just go HUH at the end.

Also RE: the Wolverine/Mystique story - kinda weak imo. Best interesting to see what you think.

CB - Old Man Logan is hugely over-rated to me, the art is amazing and some of the ideas good but the ending is epic meh.

Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    Origins is poop, they will explain who Romulus is but you'll just go HUH at the end.
    I've not stopped doing that since I started the Wolverine comics.

Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    Also RE: the Wolverine/Mystique story - kinda weak imo. Best interesting to see what you think.
    I went WTF, to be honest. I didn't get why Mystique stripped off towards the end. I mean, yes, she's extremely pretty and veeeeeeeery pleasing to the eye, but that story was just weird.

Got a few new graphics to keep me going. Mass Effect: Redemption arrived today (not expecting much, truth be told), X-Force #1 should be here tomorrow or on Monday, and I picked up 300 and Prelude to Deadpool Corps (hardcover) today. Gotta love clearing out the cupboard and bartering with the local collectible shop, eh?

Oh, and on a Hellboy theme, I picked up a Liz Sherman (from Hellboy 2) figure. Tehe

I've been slowly going through The Walking Dead, and the words "grossly" and "overrated" keep spinning in my head. I'm reviewing the tpbs as I read through them on my blog. Can't really post quotes of all five I've read, the post will get too long...

Just read Prelude to Deadpool Crops, and... Eh.

Issues 1-4 were good, with #1 being my favourite (Sorry, got a tiny thing for Lady Deadpool). Each of those issues introduced a character - #1 Lady Deadpool, #2 Kidpool, #3 Dogpool, #4 Headpool (Sorry, I mean Boobs, Tito, Cujo and Shorty No Pockets) - with the fifth explaining why they were together.

Issues 1-4 worked fine. They were funny, the art was pretty good (although Lady Deadpool is often drawn poorly) and they were consistent with standard Deadpool. Sadly, Issue #5 was poor. The art was terrible. I think it was done in 3D modeling software (WHY?!) and the story itself didn't make much sense. All I remember is... I don't know. It was a mess.

I can't remember exactly, but I think I had the same thoughts about Deadpool Corps #1, but I'd have to go back and read it. Either way, if you're into Deadpool and you have all the ones so far, get this as the first four issues are good. If you're not that into Deadpool, or you've not got all the releases so far, then wait for the TPB and a price drop. It's just not "great".

Oh, Lady Deadpool <3

Btw, could anyone tell me a decent reading order for The Siege event hardcovers?

Read Mass Effect: Redemption last night, which covers Mass Effect: Redemption #1-4. Baaaaasically, it comes between two parts of Mass Effect 2 - the start and the start (if you've played through ME2, you'll know what I mean). It focuses on Liara T'Soni who was a major character in ME1 and a minor (soon-to-be-major-perhaps) character in ME2, and she could either be the friend or lover of your player character. Right, we got that out of the way.

And without going into too much detail, Redemption tells us the story of how Liara worked sort-of-with Cerberus to find someone (Kinda obvious who if you've played the games) blah-de-blah which sets off the major events of ME2.

Problems:
    The art is HORRIBLE. Liara's armor is horrible, people have really funny looking faces (which have the ability to change slightly) and none of the characters who feature in the games look that similar to their in-game counterparts. Secondly, it's showing another variation to The Illusive Man. Combined with the novels, that means we have three Illusive Men, all of which are the same man (i.e. there's bugger all continuity) yet all act/look differently. Oh, and it serves to further increase the divide between ME1 and ME2. It's almost as if it's a completely different game series, it really is.

Good Points:
    Furthers the story a bit and also gives a little background on the ME2 events and how Cerberus work. Oh, and it's probably got a fair bit to do with the upcoming DLC for ME2! Another good point was it continued to keep Shepard's gender indeterminate (just as the books do), so that's nice.

Overall:
    If you don't care for Mass Effect, why did you read this? But really, it's for Mass Effect die-hards only. Casual fans of the series, or those who don't like Liara, won't get anything worthwhile from it. Stick to the games and perhaps read the books, 'cos you'll get more from them.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland 85 View Post
    Btw, could anyone tell me a decent reading order for The Siege event hardcovers?
    I'd read the main Siege title first then Thor, the rest are pretty much pathetic cash-in tie-in titles that had zero need to be involved. The trouble with the trades is that the event jumps from issue to issue but the trade is a lump of one title, so you read one trade - Thor for example - and you've pretty much spoiled the entire event. So I'd say read the main Siege first or even one of those ghastly 'Road to Siege' then read around the event with the character titles. If, big If, you have the majority of trades then this is probably the best reading order I've seen with all the nonsense cut out:

1. Dark avengers 13
    2. Dark avengers 14
    3. Siege the Cabal
    4. Dark avengers 15
    5. Siege 1 - The Directors Cut
    6. Siege 2
    7. Thor 607
    8. Siege 3
    9. Thor 608
    10. Siege - Loki One-shot
    11. Thor 609
    12. Siege 4
    13. Dark Avengers 16
    14. The Sentry - Fallen Sun
    15. New Avengers Finale 1

Or for absolutely everything, follow what the first post on this thread suggests: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=310777 but be warned there are descriptions full of spoilers for some of the titles, also it will cost an absolute fortune