Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast
    Drat, Amazon had a problem with The Little Sisters of Eluria, so I've cancelled it. I've got enough coming anyway, so I'll save getting it for later, plus it'll give me a bit more time to finally read the novella of the same name.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Read the second issue of Rocketeer Adventures last night. Brilliant stuff. Darwyn Cooke wrote a great story, and Geof Darrow blew me away with that pin-up. Absolutely gorgeous. The pin-up alone is worth the 3.99 price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Let me know what you think about Morning Glories...I've heard mixed reviews.
    Having just finished it, I think 'mixed' is about as accurate as you're going to get.

It's got fairly good artwork, if you ignore the cover, although none of the girls seem to know what a bra is and they're all the same build, size, shape, etc. It kinda goes for the guys, too, although there's a bit more variation. That said, the art is clear and does the job really well.

However, it's the story that counts, right? Let's just say Morning Glories is not something you should read at 9am if you're not a morning person. It's quite surreal, and it does screw with your head a bit. I won't spoil it for you, but I will say that I was left, by the end of volume 1, rather confused and puzzled. I know where one plot line is going and what it's formed of, but as for the rest? It's quite confusing.

I dread to think what it would have been like in separate issues, though. I think I would have given up on it very quickly, but it does work sort of well as a trade as all the pieces are there in one go, rather than smaller chunks released over a certain length of time.

I'd say it's a six out of ten, perhaps a seven at a stretch.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Loerwyn. I think I'll probably stay away. I've got enough to keep me super busy in the comics department anyway. I just scored the first 5 Hellboy trades yesterday at a second hand book shop. I'm half way through with Ex Machina and I wanna finish that series up before I move on to some other stuff.

I just scored the first 5 Hellboy trades yesterday at a second hand book shop.
    Excellent! Whilst I rarely find Hellboy to be outstanding, if ever, I think it's very consistent in terms of quality which is perhaps why I keep going back to it. Once you get to about Hellboy 6, that's when the B.P.R.D. spin-off kicks in so you could probably read both at the same time. I have a link to a reading order somewhere, if you'd like it when you get to that point? I also highly recommend Mignola's non-Hellboy release The Amazing Screw-On Head & Other Curious Objects, which is probably my single favourite graphic novel (The pilot episode was brilliant too. "Pardon me if I say 'poppycock'?" "Say it, then." "Poppycock!")

If you see Morning Glories second hand or really cheap, then do get it, because I think someone like you or kater would probably get on with it a bit better than I did. It wasn't bad as such, just on the good side of average.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    If you see Morning Glories second hand or really cheap, then do get it, because I think someone like you or kater would probably get on with it a bit better than I did. It wasn't bad as such, just on the good side of average.
    Been following it in singles and yeah too many questions unanswered for this to go much longer without it losing decent sales, including mine - I've almost given up on anything being explained. I've followed to #10 and I'll give it #12, a one year run on a new title is fair crack I think.

Indeed, kater. I'll save my money and wait for the second trade

Edit: I forgot to add what I also read yesterday. I went through the whole of The Dark Tower: Fall of Gilead, and like the previous trades, it was a good, but not excellent, read. I like the art style, even if it is a bit wobbly at times (Alain seems to have two different noses that he switches between). Aileen is a really good addition to this series, too.

I do still think it holds little for the non-Dark Tower fan, though. It seems to me as if it's written with you having read the series in mind.
    Last edited by Loerwyn; June 26th, 2011 at 08:59 AM.

Excellent! Whilst I rarely find Hellboy to be outstanding, if ever, I think it's very consistent in terms of quality which is perhaps why I keep going back to it. Once you get to about Hellboy 6, that's when the B.P.R.D. spin-off kicks in so you could probably read both at the same time. I have a link to a reading order somewhere, if you'd like it when you get to that point? I also highly recommend Mignola's non-Hellboy release The Amazing Screw-On Head & Other Curious Objects, which is probably my single favourite graphic novel (The pilot episode was brilliant too. "Pardon me if I say 'poppycock'?" "Say it, then." "Poppycock!")

Hellboy got recommended to me by a reliable source and from what I've read about it, the comics look like they'll be a hit with me.

If you find that link to the reading order I'd love to take a look at it. It would be nice to read things in the ideal order.

Hellboy got recommended to me by a reliable source and from what I've read about it, the comics look like they'll be a hit with me.

If you find that link to the reading order I'd love to take a look at it. It would be nice to read things in the ideal order.
    The problem with the reading order (Here) is it's a little out of date, but there's also a lot of jumping back and forth between volumes and series. I'm doing a straight read with it initially, largely because I don't have the patience to jump back and forth between them. My favourite so far is Volume 5 (Conqueror Worm)

I finished The Dark Tower: The Battle of Jericho Hill and The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Journey Begins this afternoon. The former is pretty strong, but like the rest, never gets beyond excellent. I think volumes 3 thru 5 make a nice arc that works well.

The Journey Begins is also pretty good, and it's the start of a new story. It links in a bit more with The Gunslinger, and it takes off when Roland has no ka-tet left for whatever reasons (Notice how I elegantly dance around spoilers?), I'd say it's half a retelling of the initial part of The Gunslinger and half a new story. There's two very big foreshadowing scenes to the books in it, too, which made me grin a little.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I finished The Dark Tower: The Battle of Jericho Hill and The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Journey Begins this afternoon. The former is pretty strong, but like the rest, never gets beyond excellent. I think volumes 3 thru 5 make a nice arc that works well.
    Never gets beyond excellent. Tough judge much?

Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    Never gets beyond excellent. Tough judge much?
    Drat biscuits upon rotten crow corpses. I meant never gets to excellent.

Thanks for the linky Loerwyn. It looks pretty convoluted. I'll might just end up taking them one at a time. We'll see, I got plenty of comics to read while I think on it.

Thanks for the linky Loerwyn. It looks pretty convoluted. I'll might just end up taking them one at a time. We'll see, I got plenty of comics to read while I think on it.
    Take it from me, your experience won't be ruined by anything if you don't follow the reading order. They do work well on their own and in publication order, although you will get a little bit of cross-referencing here and there (Volume #1, for example, has a reference to Volume #3), but thankfully Dark Horse do generally put in details of those references, so you know which volume it's in.

I would recommend starting BPRD Volume #1 (Or Omnibus #1, actually) after Volume #6 of Hellboy, however, because that's where they have a massive link. It's like the series splits at that point.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the tip. It'll be hard to keep me away from BPRD anyway thanks to that fancy hardcover edition.

Witch Doctor

I'm not reading it yet, but will be in a few short hours. I'm pretty excited about this one!