Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    The Dark Tower - The Gunslinger: The Little Sisters of Eluria (HC)
    See you're getting this one - what did you think of the previous ones? I've only read the first, but as it was a re-telling of what happened in Wizard and Glass I knew I was going to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by chitman13 View Post
    See you're getting this one - what did you think of the previous ones? I've only read the first, but as it was a re-telling of what happened in Wizard and Glass I knew I was going to enjoy it.
    I have all of them to date in hardcover, which should really say it all.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    I recently read through all four of the Planetary trades back to back, to back, to back. Absolutely brilliant series, and easily the best stuff I've read in the world of comics so far.

Ellis' writing is top notch. Each individual issue reads like a standalone story, yet ties into a much more elaborate tapestry. I appreciated how each and every detail was vital to the story in some way, it was nice to read a comic devoid of fluff or superfluousness.

John Cassaday's art is beautiful to behold, and I was amazed that he managed to aptly illustrated all the weird and strange things the script threw at him.

All in all, as near to perfect as I've seen comics get. I recommend reading the series straight through as I did, one for the sheer enjoyment, and two because the story demands that each detail is remembered from beginning to end.

Great stuff. It'll be hard to top Planetary.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd be surprised if you did, I remember waiting a year or two for the last couple of issues was agonising but collecting it in singles was awesome because of the covers which were frankly brilliant.

My brother just loaned me volumes 3 - 10 of the Walking Dead. Just wrapping up #3, brutal stuff. So good. I am already seeing the tv show at the prison.

Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    I'd be surprised if you did, I remember waiting a year or two for the last couple of issues was agonising but collecting it in singles was awesome because of the covers which were frankly brilliant.
    The individual covers look quite brilliant. I'm pretty jealous you have this in single issues.

Blog Entries
    Absolute prize possessions because of the delays and availability problems

On another note I have not got round to reading any of the DC comics since the reboot, I have several #1's and a few #2's but they're in a pile that I keep avoiding. Not sure I can be bothered, it's certainly cheaper!

Out of the 7 DC relaunch titles I deemed worthy of checking out, I'm still reading 5, but out of those 5 only one, Batwoman, is something I'd really heap lots of praise on.

Started Walking Dead volume #7. Wow is this series ever down and out gritty. Forget the zombies, the "Governor" of the nearby town is brutal. And for those of you who have read this, Mischonne is one mysterious and ass kicking gal. I can feel an apocalyptic nightmare coming on!

Blog Entries
    You have no idea

So, it's taken me maybe three days, but I finished The Best of Archie. It's... not bad, I guess, but it felt a bit sterile. Instead of a collection of funny/entertaining pieces, it felt as if I was walking through a museum, although I will still keep trying bits and pieces of the Archie-verse.

Tonight it looks like I'll be bedding up with my beloved Steph Brown as I got Batgirl: The Lesson, which has the last 10 issues of her run.

Read even more since.

X-23 #18
    More X-23! I like Takeda's art... sort of. It's really good in that way Noto is, i.e. it's fairly modest and easy on the eye, but it has the same flaw in that facial expressions really don't change much. I know that's part of Laura's character, but I wish the art was a little bit more dynamic. As for the story, well, there's not much to go on really, so I won't comment on it.

Oh, and some twit decided to put an advert with Greg Land's "artwork" in the middle of it. Genius.

Stephen King's The Dark Tower - The Gunslinger: The Little Sisters of Eluria (Dark Tower #7/The Gunslinger #2)
    My favourite of the series so far. The art's pretty good, with a few little hiccups here and there, but I did really enjoy this. It's based on the short story that's collected in the Legends anthology, and whilst I've only read the first few pages of that, it seemed a fairly faithful adaptation if the introduction was anything to go by. It's the least violent of the set with not a lot of gunslinging action, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Batgirl: The Lesson
    Got to admit I'm a little disappointed. It seemed to go on a little too long for me and it felt a bit... all over the place. The art also seemed to be on the poorer side of things, and I thought the suspension of disbelief was really stretched at times. But still, some good jokes and some great moments, so it was a fairly good end. Shame it's the real end for Steph as Batgirl (although I believe she's in the just-released Batman, Inc.: Leviathan Strikes one shot as Batgirl) because she had some good potential.

And no, I didn't want to see her get with Supergirl... much. Not that it'd ever happen. Unless I wrote it. Which I wouldn't. Or would I?

The Comic Fix

Currently, I'm reading the New Mutants and the new Batwoman. Having been out of comics for ten years, I'm blown away by the artwork and the expanding scope of social issues tackled in the books. But I am surprised that there have been no seismic changes to the core elements of the superhero genre. Certain elements that I thought were ripe for change twenty years ago have been left unchanged, and I think this limits the genre.
    Last edited by Rat-Man; December 31st, 2011 at 02:32 PM.

I've been reading the World War Hulk omnibus as I really enjoyed the Planet Hulk omnibus. I think I've missed some story points as I never read Civil War, but I've enjoyed this one too.

Just ordered some more stuff today.

X-23 #19 & #20
    Batman Incorporated: Leviathan Strikes (One-shot)
    Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom (trade)

Still got Fables Trade #1 and Jenny Finn: Doom Messiah to read