Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
    Well, the thing with split duties is that they'd basically be doing less work each. You might get some issues with more of Williams, but he wouldn't be drawing a whole issue.

Be interesting to see what #0 thru #5 are like, though. Just waiting for the HC to come out now.

I'm currently reading through all my back issues of 2000AD, half for pleasure and half so I can get pedantically geeky when the new Dredd movie comes out (if it ever does).

Working through a re-read of the first two B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs omnibus editions in preparation for the third in April. Finished the first this afternoon and enjoyed it once again, and I started on the second not much later.

Guy Davis pretty much became one of my favourite artists overnight. Absolutely love his art style. Cameron Stewart is pretty good, but he's not used often - can't wait for his two-issue Exorcism run, though.

Might have to do a Hellboy re-read, too. Feel like I've forgotten half of it.

Registered User theonefirestorm's Avatar
    I'm reading The Fury of Firestorm right now.
    Way different than before Firestorms are created to be defenders of countries.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    A new title from Image that I thought was pretty good is Peter Panzerfaust. It's written by one of my favorite comic writers, Kurtis Wiebe. Here's my thoughts:

First off, the art here is pretty cool. It's got this loose energetic feel to it that fits very well with the narrative. What you have here is a hefty helping of WWII action and mayhem with a bit of a re-imagining of the Peter Pan story.

Yeah, the concept sounded a little iffy to me too, (I mean Peter Pan isn't exactly the coolest guy in school) but so far things are looking pretty good. I'm not sure yet if Peter is all that magical, or if his feats just seem magical through the eyes of the other orphan boys in his crew. So far the guy is an enigma. All in all this was a pretty solid first issue, and I'm definitely looking forward to learning more about the characters and seeing what else Peter Panzerfaust has to offer.

IdownloadedoveragigabyteoffreecomicsontomyiPodtoda yohgodI'llnevergetthroughthemall

In other words, I have the first issues of:
    Y: The Last Man
    The Sword
    Girls
    The Walking Dead

On top of that are previews, zero-issues, first issues and so forth of comics like Witchblade, Danger Girl, Atomic Robo and LOADS more. I'm not joking when I say I downloaded over one hundred different products. I've been thinking about moving more towards the mid-tier publishers (Dark Horse, Image, Wildstorm, Vertigo, Top Cow, etc) for a short while, and hopefully this'll push me in that direction.

Also grabbed the very-slow (but very pretty) Dark Horse Comics app, and I've got like four things to read on it - including a free B.P.R.D. comic.

Been reading the odd issue of Betty & Veronica Spectacular on my iPod, whenever I feel like buying one, and I quite like them. Entertaining, sure, but rarely hilarious. Should really start to think about buying Archie trades, but they're not a company big on trade collections, sadly.

That said, I ordered two more comics this morning. X-23 #21 which is the final issue of the now-cancelled series (thanks, Marvel. Love you too) and *apparently* Liu's script is dialogue-less, so it's pure, pure, pure Noto. Cannot wait. To maximise the postage cost, I also ordered Betty & Veronica Double-Digest #200, just to see how big the digests actually are (they're a good price on the Archie app, but I don't know if they're truly worth it compared to the cheaper issues).

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    In other words, I have the first issues of:
    Y: The Last Man
    The Sword
    Girls
    The Walking Dead
    To which I can only say you're doomed I have complete collections of the first three and am up-to-date on TWD, good comics all.

First post in this section in ages, apologies to CB mostly. I intended to get back on the horse sooner but then ended up needing neck surgery and woah all of a sudden lost the first two months of 2012. I'll be getting back on top of things by the end of next week hopefully with more comic talky on the agenda.

Good to hear you're mending, kater.

I read #1 of The Sword & Girls. The Luna Brothers are very... predictable in that regard - protag not introduced well, big event happens, protag finds key thing, end. But their art, their writing. Loved it. Both issues were better than I expected (I fell about laughing during the store scene in Girls) and I'll hopefully pick up the trades at some point (Girls is a short-ish run, right?). They're definitely moving onto my "To Watch" list. I'll likely give Ultra: Seven Days a re-read in the future, just to see if I'll like it more a second time around.

As for The Walking Dead - not that bothered about it. Only picked up #1 as it was free.

Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    First post in this section in ages, apologies to CB mostly. I intended to get back on the horse sooner but then ended up needing neck surgery and woah all of a sudden lost the first two months of 2012. I'll be getting back on top of things by the end of next week hopefully with more comic talky on the agenda.
    Neck surgery...damn. Hope all is well and that you are on the mend. Looking forward to talking shop!

Loerwyn: I hope you enjoy Y: The Last Man. It is one of my favorites, and probably the series most responsible for getting me back into comics as an adult.

On topic, recently discovered the wonders that is James Stokoe's Orc Stain...Wow. I've got the first trade all read, but I want to read issues 6 and 7 before I share my deep thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Loerwyn: I hope you enjoy Y: The Last Man. It is one of my favorites, and probably the series most responsible for getting me back into comics as an adult.
    CB, you're younger than me. "Adult", my arse!

I'll likely give it a read tonight. I believe kater spoke highly of it, and I've (ashamedly) not gotten around to it. But yes, I will definitely get to it soon.

Chances are that, at some point, I'll do a blog post about some of the stuff I've read.

CB, you're younger than me. "Adult", my arse!
    Wait, what? I'm confused. I'm 30, how old are you?

What I meant by that statement was that I read the Y: The Last Man series about 3 years ago, and that it was responsible for sparking my interest in comics, which I hadn't read since I was about 12. I hope I wasn't implying that anyone wasn't adult, or anything.

Chances are that, at some point, I'll do a blog post about some of the stuff I've read.
    Yeah, things have been quiet around there for a bit...though I did enjoy your Archie pieces earlier this week.

Wait, what? I'm confused. I'm 30, how old are you?
    *Coughs and splutters*

... Wow. I thought you were younger than me. Shush. Stop making me feel old.

What I meant by that statement was that I read the Y: The Last Man series about 3 years ago, and that it was responsible for sparking my interest in comics, which I hadn't read since I was about 12. I hope I wasn't implying that anyone wasn't adult, or anything.
    Nah, was me getting confused. But yes. I read Y: The Last Man last night. It was very good!

Yeah, things have been quiet around there for a bit...though I did enjoy your Archie pieces earlier this week.
    I explained all in the Radio Silence post. But thanks for that. Wasn't sure if anyone was actually reading them.

*Coughs and splutters*

... Wow. I thought you were younger than me. Shush. Stop making me feel old.
    Not sure whether to be flattered or wounded It all depends on just how young you thought I was.

I'm glad you enjoyed the first issue of Y: The Last Man. How are you liking digital comics? How do they compare to print? Do you have a kindle or an iPad or something else?

iPod Touch 4G - not the most ideal e-reader in the world.

I think my enjoyment depends more on the app with digital stuff. 'cos I don't have a big screen with the iPod, I tend to use the panel view modes (with Archie I tend to instead use the full page-view mode) and sometimes it can be a little problematic as it sometimes makes some panels harder to read, which also disrupts the flow. I can't see it working at all with something like BW: Elegy, although it'd likely be fine on the iPad.

Doesn't come close to beating print media, but once you begin to get used to each app and how they work, it's actually not too bad.

As for The Walking Dead - not that bothered about it. Only picked up #1 as it was free.
    That about sums up my experience now I've read it. I can see why it's popular, I did like the art, but it just... Hm. I don't know. Maybe I'll get it when Image stop finding excuses to reprint it in about eighteen thousand forms.

Read the whole of the Love Showdown arc from Archie today. Eh. Little underwhelmed, really, but it was worth it for the duel scene.