Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
    I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Orc Stain by James Stokoe: One of the most gloriously illustrated and creative comics I've ever laid eyes on. I've got a full on review of the entirety of the series (first trade and the following two issues) up at my blog, but I wanted to gush about it here too.

Really great stuff. I highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Sorry to double post, just want to point out I've also ordered these. Love what I've seen of Kelly's art
    I've read both these now.

Really liked Saga. Staples' art is very good and though I thought the writing verged on gratuitous at times the story is intriguing. I thought it was a good first issue -- lots of worldbuidling but also kicks start the story with a bang.

I want to like Saucer Country because I like Cornell and the premise sounds really good. I actually found this issue to be quite confusing and I will have to reread it. Jury is still out for me but I continue to have high hopes.

I'll probably have to buy Saga digitally, or wait for the trade. I placed my order too late and it went out of stock.

Hopefully Saucer Country will be here tomorrow. Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    Really liked Saga. Staples' art is very good and though I thought the writing verged on gratuitous at times the story is intriguing. I thought it was a good first issue -- lots of worldbuidling but also kicks start the story with a bang.
    I enjoyed the first issue of Saga as well. It had an exciting plot while still managing to deliver some world(s) building, and hint at what lies ahead.

Not to mention 44 pages of story for $2.99. Hot deal!

Staples' art was cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    I want to like Saucer Country because I like Cornell and the premise sounds really good. I actually found this issue to be quite confusing and I will have to reread it. Jury is still out for me but I continue to have high hopes.
    It came today, and I've got to agree with this. It was a bit... weird.

Kelly's art was awesome, though.

Did some reading and reviewing recently. Up this time was The Arctic Marauder by Jacques Tardi. Great stuff. Artistically Pleasing. The writing was good too, but I felt like the whole thing ended a bit too abruptly.

Still, Tardi's stuff is pretty awesome, and I'll pretty much read whatever Fantagraphics chooses to reprint of his stuff here in the States.

I picked up my first ever (digital) Archie Double-Digest yesterday. Went for World of Archie Double-Digest #2 - Never had so much comic for my money before! Some stories were a bit weak, some were great, some were incredibly questionable (though they were from, say, the '50s/'60s, so understandable), but I was quite happy to read a Josie & the Pussycats story.

B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs Omnibus #3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday, and I cannot wait. Apparently it has some of the best B.P.R.D. stories to date in it, so I'm really eager to get into it.

Aaaand back on the topic of Archie Comics, I won a copy of the first Jinx trade. I'm quite happy about that.

Back up to date with The Dark Tower now, just finished The Battle of Tull which was absolutely superb. The eight collections so far (which I have completely in hardcover!) are brilliant, easily one of the better series I've been reading.

Tomorrow brings Morning Glories vol. 2, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Also pre-ordered B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth - Exorcism #1 (Mike Mignola, Cameron Stewart, Dave Stewart), which comes out June 27th, which is like FOREVER away.

Morning Glories vol. 2 - Clarifies things a little, but also makes them more complex. If my re-read of vol. 1 piqued my interest in this series, reading vol. 2 has hooked me. Cannot wait for vol. 3 in about two months (why is every trade, issue and so forth that I want coming out in June/July? Why? What great sin have I been involved in?), which I believe contains one of the more controversial issues.

On top of that, Jinx arrived this morning. Thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the best trades I've read this year, easily.

The wife just called on her way home from the comic shoppe, informing me that yes, she did indeed pick up my monthly stash including Saga #2 and this new beauty from Dark Horse, Alabaster #1 by Caitlin R. Kiernan:

Oh yes, that does look quite nice. Chances are I'll hold out for a trade, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    The wife just called on her way home from the comic shoppe, informing me that yes, she did indeed pick up my monthly stash including Saga #2 and this new beauty from Dark Horse, Alabaster #1 by Caitlin R. Kiernan:

That's super cool! Sounds like you got yourself a keeper there Rob!

I gave this one the flip check in my shop today...didn't buy but will have an eye out for it come trade collection time. Lieber's art looks a lot different from his earlier stuff on Whiteout.

Nice work picking up Saga, the first issue was very good. Hoping they continue to bring the thunder.

In other news... I forgot to mention it anywhere around here, but I went to the Emerald City Comicon a week or so ago. It was pretty nuts. Waaaay more packed than the past two years. I felt like I could hardly navigate the aisles to creator's tables. Still met some cool and very nice people. Even got to chat with Daryl Gregory for a bit. He's a real nice guy. Got a few things signed, picked up some goodies, and gawked at people in costume, so all in all, pretty successful.

I'm mulling over heading to the Stumptown Comics Fest in Portland a couple weeks from now. Lots of great indie creators on hand there.

Got my first 2000ad comics in... forever today.

Picked up digital copies of Prog 2012 and Prog 1764, largely for the Jana Birdy/Grey Area stories. 2012 was easily one of the best-value purchases I've made (followed really only by the Archie Double-Digests), whereas 1764 seemed a bit light. £2 for 30-something pages isn't bad (it's in-line with American comics here), but when you think most stories run in it for about 5-6 pages, it kinda feels like a bit of a downer, especially when you can't read half of them due to missing the previous parts.

I recently read (and reviewed) Brandon Graham's King City. Absolutely fantastic. This is easily one of the best comics I've ever experienced. I loved the art, and the story. This is my early front-runner for graphic novel of the year.

Registered User theonefirestorm's Avatar
    I think I'm going to get Villains for Hire. Shocker is a hugely underrated super villain, and maybe he's not wasted.