Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
    Quick reviews of some comics:

Adventure Time #4 - Good, but not great. Doesn't work quite as well as the TV show does.
    Whispers #1 & #2 - The name "Joshua Luna" should say it all. If not, then it's one of a number of creator-owned supernatural thrillers coming out from Image at the moment, but it's by far the easiest to grasp. Amazing covers, amazing internal art, great writing. Considering getting a pull list just for this title.
    Red Sonja: Blue - Peter V. Brett (yes, that Peter V. Brett), in a single longer issue, turns Red Sonja into a fairly plausible character. Good mix of snide humour, morality, faith discussion and classic sword & sorcery action. Some excellent art, too.
    B.P.R.D.: The Dead Remembered #1-3 - Semi-prequel series about Liz Sherman. One of the poorest B.P.R.D. arcs I've read as it adds almost nothing, is an issue or two too long and generally is a bit dull. But... it's not exactly terrible. Just not really necessary on any level whatsoever.
    Avenging Spider-Man #7 - Get it. Just get it. Kathryn & Stuart Immonen + She-Hulk + Spider-Man. It's a winning combination.

More quick reviews:

Alabaster: Wolves #2 - Good, but I enjoyed #1 more.
    The Guild/Buffy the Vampire Slayer FCBD Edition - The Guild was better than I expected, Buffy was a little odd.
    Star Wars/Firefly (or was it Serenity?) FCBD Edition - SW was Yawn, Firefly/Serenity wasn't bad considering I know nothing about it.
    Alabaster: Wolves 2-Part Mini (FCBD) - Quite good, too short to really mean much though.
    Aspen Comics (FCBD) - Boobs. Boobs. Boobs. Actually, one of the series (Idolized) looks really quite good.
    Bad Medicine #1 - My brain hurts.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I've started reading the Tintin albums by Herve. Been meaning to do this since I saw and liked Spielberg's movie, but the first 2 (Tintin in Russia and Congo) are rather bad. The 3rd one (America) is in color and an improvement in story too. Very much a children comic, but it has its fun moments, especially when the dog Snowy takes center stage.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    I've recently read some pretty fun comics. Read Darwyn Cooke's run on The Spirit, which he wrote and illustrated. I enjoyed it, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the plotting was so well done.

I've been bingeing again on Transmetropolitan. I'm nearly done with the final trade. Overall the series has been quite good, and has provided some extremely memorable moments. Overall, I'd say this is Ellis' second best effort, coming in just shy of Planetary. It's gonna be hard to find something to read after this that will provide the same quality.

Man in the High Castle Awesomov's Avatar
    I haven't read many comics or graphic novels, but I've read Watchmen and V for Vendetta, as well as some Valiant releases, including Rai, X-O Manowar, and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. For those who haven't heard of Valiant, I strongly suggest seeking some of their works out, because they're absolutely amazing.

In my continued drift from the cape and tights books, I'm leaning more towards SF comics.

Two of particular interest in recent weeks:

Planetoid, written, drawn, and lettered by Ken Garing. Anti-hero lands on a strange planet filled with old broken down machinery with AI viruses.
    Good stuff

The Massive by Brian Wood and Kristian Donaldson
    Near future SF - environmental disasters have ravaged the planet and an ocean ship has lost contact with its sister ship.

Have you read Channel Zero or any of its related comics, Rob? Just wondering as you're on The Massive.

Nope, I haven't.

Gah, you're no use!

I've mentioned this a few times on Twitter, but Comixology have a 99c/£0.69 (using app prices) sale on some more recent Image #1s - Mind the Gap (Buy), Whispers (Buy!!!), Saga (Buy!) and a whole host of others.

But buy Whispers. NOW. Joshua Luna's solo series is just 3 issues in (well, #3 is tomorrow), but it's absolutely jaw-droppingly stunning. The art, the writing. It's worth every penny/cent.

Just ordered the first two Deluxe hardbacks for 100 Bullets. I plan to get them all when they are released. I really enjoyed that series. Eduardo Risso's artwork is fantastic. I unfortunately don't pick up comics anymore save for the occasional trade. Criminal, Hellboy and BPRD being the usual suspects.

Has anyone been reading Spaceman by Azzarello and Risso or Fatale by Brubaker and Phillips? I was debating those trades when they become available.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    I've recently read some pretty fun comics. Read Darwyn Cooke's run on The Spirit, which he wrote and illustrated. I enjoyed it, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the plotting was so well done.

I've been bingeing again on Transmetropolitan. I'm nearly done with the final trade. Overall the series has been quite good, and has provided some extremely memorable moments. Overall, I'd say this is Ellis' second best effort, coming in just shy of Planetary. It's gonna be hard to find something to read after this that will provide the same quality.
    Planetary is up there as one of my favorites. Have you read Cooke's Parker series based on the Stark novels? Good stuff. The short run of Nextwave by Ellis and Immonen was enjoyable too.
    Last edited by Quimby; June 27th, 2012 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
    ts.
    Has anyone been reading Spaceman by Azzarello and Risso or Fatale by Brubaker and Phillips? I was debating those trades when they become available.
    Fatale got rec'd by one of the comic shops I visit. Apparently it's very good, but I know nothing more than that.

Today's haul:
    Girls vol. 1: Conception (£3 for a trade? F-Yes!)
    Whispers #3
    Mind the Gap #2
    Nonplayer #1 (Second Printing; think it's just had a reprint from Image)
    Alabaster: Wolves #3
    Fatima: The Blood Spinners #1 (Gilbert Hernandez mini-series)
    B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth - Exorcism #1
    Idolized #0 (The awesome photo cover, too)
    The New Deadwardians #1
    Supercrooks #1

Also won a copy of Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files vol. 19 and I'm working my way through that. First time I've really read Grant Morrison or Garth Ennis, y'know, and it's my first experience of Mark Millar's comic work (though I've read one or two 2000AD short stories he's done).

Mini review time!

Whispers #3
    Perhaps the weakest so far, but still a cut above most others. Has me champing at the bit for August(?) and issue four.

Mind the Gap #2
    Things seem a little clearer but not. I reckon this will be like Morning Glories (Rodin Esquejo, MtG's artist, does covers for Morning Glories too!) in that it'll read better in chunks and after a few passes.

Nonplayer #1
    Some very interesting (but not exactly unique) ideas. Not sure what to think, but in a positive way.

Alabaster: Wolves #3
    Like Whispers #3, I think this is the weakest so far, but it's still good and quite interesting.

Fatima: The Blood Spinners #1
    Awesome. Some questionable artistic design choices (particularly the uniform Fatima wears at one point which looks like a catsuit, a utility vest and a pair of white Y-fronts), but otherwise brilliant. Rare to see a black and white comic these days, and I think it made Fatima so, so much more unique.

B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth - Exorcism #1
    It's B.P.R.D., do you honestly think I have anything bad to say about it?

Idolized #0
    It's like a blurb with pictures. It does actually work quite well at what it does - introduces the main character, gives some plot points and says "well, this is where I end up", meaning it hooks you in with no more than a few pages. There's some fluff material in it, such as interviews (reminding me a lot of Watchmen and Ultra: Seven Days, actually), which I've not yet read. Quite interested in it, we'll see where it goes.

The New Deadwardians #1
    Yaaaaawwwwnnnnnnnnnn. Boring art, absolutely vile stereotypical accents (come on, Dan, you're better than that - Cor Blimey, Guvna!). From what I've experienced of Dan Abnett, this is very weak.

Supercrooks #1
    Fairly interesting ideas behind it, focusing on the bad guys rather than the good guys, and it does kind of riff off the typical superhero genre, but for all of that it seems very by-the-numbers and a bit... flat. Wouldn't be surprised if I just forget about it.

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files vol. 19
    This deserves a proper review, but I'll summarise it. Wildly inconsistent in terms of quality but also Rebellion's wish to give details on who did which stories. Some of the stories seem a little over-long, others are a little too short. And some of the... um... racial representations are rather troubling.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
    Planetary is up there as one of my favorites. Have you read Cooke's Parker series based on the Stark novels? Good stuff. The short run of Nextwave by Ellis and Immonen was enjoyable too.
    I've read some of the Parker novels by Stark, but not the comics. I want to, but just haven't had the opportunity yet.

@Loerwyn,

I wasn't a fan of The Massive. Brian Wood's stuff doesn't jive with me for some reason.

I've been reading and enjoying Fatale, but I recommend reading it in collected edition. The story is dense and complex, and I feel a bit lost reading it in monthlies. I need to go back and reread the whole damn thing.

Read Fatale. A good horror crime book. I don't think there is a better team working than Brubaker and Phillips for my dollar.

I just ordered the Score the latest Parker novel adaptation by Darwin Cooke. Looking forward to it.

I also picked up the complete zombie, amazon and robots(whatever the hell it's called) book by Ashley Wood. Sadly, I don't really expect much from the story but I do enjoy his artwork.