Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    Wasn't too impressed with Dark Victory myself though. Sure the art's nice, but like Hush the story tends to take a back seat and serves as a vehicle to show off as much of the rogue's gallery as possible.

Did you spot all those godfather references in Long Halloween?

Oh and Kater, if you're wondering about Transmet, pick up the 1st trade as it does serve as a good indication of the tone used by the rest of the series (though the plot does drag a bit by the end of the series).
    Last edited by fluffy bunny; June 22nd, 2005 at 08:45 PM.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks fb I'm currently reading Sleeper trades, which is quite a clever idea with a mix of gritty and fantastic elements that make you curious from the word go. Anyone read Wildcats? They were mentioned in Sleeper and I was wondering if they were worth taking a dip on?

FB - It was almost as if Loeb cribbed some of the dialogue from Godfather, still I enjoyed it.

Haunted Knight from the DC Comics page:
    This graphic novel includes three dark tales of horror and intrigue featuring Batman facing off against his most demented and wicked foes. Taking place on the most evil of holidays, Halloween, the Darknight Detective confronts his deepest fears as he tries to stop the madness and horror created by Scarecrow, the Mad Hatter, the Penguin, Poison Ivy and the Joker.

The Mark Millar book you mentioned, kater, is Wanted a six issue series due to be published in trade soon. Great art by JG Jones with and interesting premise. Years ago Millar wanted to do an update of sorts to the DC Secret Society of Super-Villians that never panned out. He modified it and published it with Image/Top Cow last year. It started out pretty good, but not great. The ending was awful though.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Fitz I may take a look at that. I also took a look at Haunted Knight the other day to refresh my memory and of the three stories, the last one Ghosts is by far the weakest despite having Joker in it. I personally liked the second one, Madness the best but they aren't the best bat stories ever told - none of them could stand alone in a trade and it's all a bit run-of-the-mill though I do like the artwork throughout. The stories seem like filler, as if someone thought how great it would be to have a Batman set around Halloween but then ran out of ideas half way through. I'd pick it up if it's cheap, as I did luckily, or not bother.
    I've been hitting the trades hard recently and came across some decent reviews of Gen13 - has anyone read this, have any thoughts?

The only Image/Wildstorm books I got into prior to the past couple of years was Spawn.

As for Haunted Knight, I'm not surprised. I'm beginning to think Jeph Loeb is a bit overrated as a writer. Not bad ideas, as you say, but the execution is always a little hollow. This is one of the reasons I dropped Superman/Batman.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Juzza (or anyone else who knows)

Slaine: Warrior's Dawn, is that with new art or a reprint from the past?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    The only Image/Wildstorm books I got into prior to the past couple of years was Spawn.
    Yeah I really enjoyed Spawn but was only picking up the trades, which suddenly stopped a few years back at the point where Billy Kincaid is made a Hellspawn in order to torture Spawn (trade 14/15 I think) I sent an e-mail to McFarlane enterprises wondering why but they never responded, I still look occasionally but nothing has comeout since. Annoying when the story was not finished. Just read Miller's Daredevil, a one-off buy that was great for what I paid, especially when you throw in a little Cap America

Registered as What?
    Anyone reading Morrisson's The Seven Soldiers mini-series? I am loving The Guardian, Zantanna, The Shining Knight and Klarion the Witch Boy . Though I was hoping that the mini-series wouldn't run so long(it'll be a year until the ending).

I've never written in this section before, as I don't usually read comics, but I borrowed Midnight Nation by Straciznksy, who did bablyon 5 amd so far it is really good. The artwork is excellent, though the lead character is a tad unrealistic - I just don't think chain smoking caffeine addicts look like Arnold Schwartznegger. However it is atmospheric, and a good plot so far.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfânion
    Juzza (or anyone else who knows)

Slaine: Warrior's Dawn, is that with new art or a reprint from the past?

Taken straight out of the 2000AD pages, Mith.

Quote Originally Posted by Priestvyrce
    Anyone reading Morrisson's The Seven Soldiers mini-series? I am loving The Guardian, Zantanna, The Shining Knight and Klarion the Witch Boy . Though I was hoping that the mini-series wouldn't run so long(it'll be a year until the ending).
    The only one I wasn't too fond of was Klarion but I'm picking them up. I'm also looking forward to the Mister Miracle mini with Pascal Ferry on art.

Blog Entries
    I have to confess to reading more Warren Ellis with Planetary, I got the third trade cheap and was badly hooked so went and bought the rest

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by kater
    I have to confess to reading more Warren Ellis with Planetary, I got the third trade cheap and was badly hooked so went and bought the rest
    Yep. Planetary is addictive. I think that this Ellis' opus and his best work to date. It is suppose to be ending soon.

Blog Entries
    TBH I hope so because right now I'm playing catch up on The Authority, Planetary and Stormwatch and I'm not sure if I can afford trades of all three I bought the first Authority trade on the advice of a friend and have been hunting down anything I can find involving any of the three titles since - I found three cool crossover pieces; Planetary and Batman (I'm so there ) Planetary and JLA (as previous) and Planetary with The Authority (three for three )

Hmmm,

I read wonder woman pretty regulalry, all the JLA comics. Its all about the jLA