Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestvyrce
    but when Ellis took over with the Change or Die story arc is when Stormwatch took off. Ultimates is like reading an action filled summer blockbuster, but with some good characterization.
    Thanks priest, a friend has just lent me a copy of ultimates 1 & 2 with some praise so looking forward to that. On the Stormwatch issue, I'm a huge Ellis fan so will I be missing any important backstory if I start from Change or Die?

Quote Originally Posted by kater
    Same goes for the Ultimates - I just got into the New Avengers and was considering branching out into the Ultimate version but not certain, thoughts?
    e
    I read the first volume of Ultimates and thought it was entertaining but just OK. I'm not Mark Millar's biggest fan, though - I think the man is much better at hyping his comics than actually writing them. Wanted started out so great, but the last issue felt like such a cheat.

I'm enjoying the PLANET HULK storyline running through, you guessed it, HULK right now. I picked up the first issue of Moon Knight and enjoyed it, I'll probably continue on with the series.

I'm pretty sucked into the whole Infinite Crisis myself, and especially the Batman and Superman ONE YEAR LATER storylines. I'm a big Grant Morrison fan, so All Star Superman is a lot of fun and I've enjoyed most of Seven Soldiers, though I need to catch up with Mister Miracle

I picked up the first issue of The Portent a fantasy series published by Image. I need to catch up with both GODLAND and Rex Mundi, also published by Image.

I'm also enjoying Testament and what I consider one of the best monthlies on the shelves - Fables from Vertigo. I tried the first few issues of Brian Wood's DMZ and they didn't do much for me.

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by kater
    Thanks priest, a friend has just lent me a copy of ultimates 1 & 2 with some praise so looking forward to that. On the Stormwatch issue, I'm a huge Ellis fan so will I be missing any important backstory if I start from Change or Die?
    I didn't, but some back story might be needed. Ellis used some of this Stormwatch group to become The Authority.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestvyrce
    I didn't, but some back story might be needed. Ellis used some of this Stormwatch group to become The Authority.
    Yeah that's the main reason I was curious about them, I've expended all the Authority tpbs and was wondering if I could get some kind of fix off Stormwatch.

Is Moon Knight any good Rob? Whenever I see the character he reminds me a lot of Spectre but obviously with a lot less power, is it interesting?

I just finished reading A History of Violence. I was extremely impressed with the movie last year, and had heard that the comic was even better, so had high expectations.

Unfortunately, I was rather disappointed. While it was a rollicking good romp and a good fun story, it seemed to have lost most of the thematic and character complexity and subtlety that was in the movie. Which is odd, considering how much larger the story is in the comic.

It felt a little like the movie had taken some of the core themes and ideas briefly touched upon in the comic and really explored them in depth, while jettisoning a huge part of the story itself. The comic, meanwhile, has a lot more story but, for me, a lot less interest.

Beware: spoilers below for both the comic and the movie!

Spoiler:
    For example...the interaction between Tom and Edie. In the movie, I found their reactions extremely believable, from the natural portrayal of sex to Edie's horrified and conflicted reaction to events as they unfold. The horror and uncertainty she goes through is brilliant. In the comic, as soon as she's learnt what's going on she says "That's ok, I love you." All too easy, if you ask me.

Similarly, I found Tom's eagerness to divulge his story to anybody that wandered past a little strange. His desperate attempts to retain the facade in the movie seemed more compelling and convincing - I can't see him giving up 20 years of fabrication so easily.

Bottom line, I suppose, is that the characters in the movie are very different to the characters in the comic. Personally, I found the movie characters more interesting and multi-layered, whereas the comic characters seemed there only to serve the story.

On the other hand, the Richie story was far more interesting in the comic. The bizarrely comic Richie elements in the movie never did quite sit right with me (though I need to watch it a second time to make a proper judgement). Richie's 20 years of hell in the comic is a very powerful and horrifying concept. Certainly more interesting than a whiney brother who has never quite attained his 'rightful' place in mob society.

Don't get me wrong, though - I still thoroughly enjoyed the comic. I just felt it lacked the depth that I was expecting.

p.s. Just read your review of the movie, Kater. Excellent review, though I come down on the positive side of the fence a bit more than you. But I've always had a soft spot for Cronenberg's deliberately slow pacing.
    Last edited by Tarn; April 20th, 2006 at 04:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I stumbled across the graphic novel a few years ago and agree with a lot of what you said.

Spoiler:
    I think Tom's story in the gn of ripping off mobsters with Richie using tear gas and automatic weapons was more typically OTT comic book stuff than the movie, which was much more subtle - it never really delved into Tom's origins too much and let the audience wonder. The gn does ring hollow as regards Tom and Edie, they're barely together and it doesn't work when they are, unlike the Bello-Mortensen relationship in the film which was it's strongest asset. I think both endings leave a lot to be desired, in the gn Tom blabbing all to the cops straight away and them being blase about it is just dumb scripting, then Richie is revealed and it's pretty nasty but again ott. Also how someone chokes/breaks a man's neck with his legs AFTER having had holes drilled in them by an electric drill is beyond me. With the film the whole Richie 'issue' seems forced, like a tacked on ending just so there's some action that defeats the message of the film in many ways.

I think in both cases they are flawed works and having read the gn again recently my opinion of the film has gone up a few notches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B
    I tried the first few issues of Brian Wood's DMZ and they didn't do much for me.
    I just got hold of the first six and quite like the idea, it's similar in a way to Global Frequency in that each issue is a self-encapsulated story as well as part of a bigger whole. The art style is quite dark and detailed, just not sure about the actual overarching story. I'm gonna give it some time

im reading Batman and Detective Comics in One Year Later.
    yep, he's changed.

also, Fables, Fell, Astro City, Justice, and Ultimate Iron Man.

thinking of getting that Rising Stars hardcover next week. i got bits and pieces of those separate issues, and i liked it.

any of you guys read that already?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glaz
    thinking of getting that Rising Stars hardcover next week. i got bits and pieces of those separate issues, and i liked it.
    I have it on order, should be with me in the next week or two according to Amazon.

I've read all of Rising Stars and it is very, very good.

The first volume (I have it in 3 trades) is excellent, with some brilliant ideas and a nicely told story. Artwork is on and off, but the book overall is very thought provoking and gripping.

The middle act goes a bit wobbly, as it goes a bit too 'superheroey', something which Straczynski himself has said he now regrets. It's still jolly good stuff, it's just much more action based than the first part. Still has some utterly, utterly classic moments in it, though, so don't be put off at all.

The final act is back to the form of the first and is really quite superb and hugely moving. I'd love to hear your comments once you've read it. Another thing - make sure you avoid spoilers as much as you can, as Rising Stars is a story that is best read when you know as little as possible.

i live in the Philippines before, and i got 3 issues from the first act, 5 from the 2nd and 5 from the 3rd. then i gave all of them to my friends when we moved to Canada.

can't wait to get my hands on that hardcover.

anyway, what do you people think is the best non-superhero ongoing comic book series right now?

Blog Entries
    That's tough, I couldn't pick one. Three I'm currently reading are 100 Bullets, Loveless and Y The Last Man, but that's only the tip of the iceberg

Registered as What?
    i live in the Philippines before, and i got 3 issues from the first act, 5 from the 2nd and 5 from the 3rd. then i gave all of them to my friends when we moved to Canada.

can't wait to get my hands on that hardcover.

anyway, what do you people think is the best non-superhero ongoing comic book series right now?
    I still love Hellblazer, I agree with two of Katar's picks( 100 Bullets and Y: The Last Man), also Fables is great and Vertigo's American Virgin is pretty interesting.

Fables has got to be my fave right now.

also, i really like Fell.

Registered as What?
    Fables has got to be my fave right now.

also, i really like Fell.
    Fell is amazing, it just comes out eratically. I think, it is bi-monthly, but not really sure .