Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Fantasy Epics (Ones to read, ones to steer clear of)

Hey what's up I'm pretty well read when it comes to the majority of the fantasy epics, so right now I'm kind of having some difficulty finding a real nice fantasy epic to chew on.

I've read a couple of Goodkind's SoT (thought they were pretty good though im iffy about the third, read one of Jordans books (a little too cliched and stereotypical hero stuff for my taste) read Martin (unimpressed greatly) read Feist (excellent stuff) read Kings Darktower (greatest epic in the fantasy realm) read Marcos series, both of em (great stuff, definetly like the gray area) read Hobb (not exactly my taste) and of course Tolkiens stuff (a little boring to me, but Similarion looks like something I should still read) and that's about it.

So if anyone can throw out some fantasy epics to check out it would be greatly appreciated, also just to add a little spice, tell me some that I should steer clear of. Thanks a bunch!

Oh forgot to add in that I've read Donaldson's stuff..very cool characters, really enjoyed that series, and dabbles a little bit in Ursula Leguins stuff to, not really my taste.

Well given that if you basically reversed the likes and dislikes in your first post you would get my likes and dislikes then I would not want to presume to give you any recommendations. I would not want to be adding to your dislike list...

You might want to try Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams.

Well, considering that the only two from your list I really enjoyed were Martin and Hobb, I may not be much help.

But I will mention the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. Not typical fantasy, but you might enjoy anyway. "Age of Unreason" by J. Gregory Keyes was a good set, even if the quality never returned to that of the first book. Also read "the Briar King" from him. It's only the first installment, but it's very promising. And lastly, "Heroes Die" and "Blade of Tyshalle" from Matthew Woodring Stover are some great kick-in-the-teeth kind of fantasy. Gritty and violent, but excellent.

Hmm, well I would have suggested checking out either Kate Elliott, J V Jones or Steven Erikson, however, I found Goodkind to be simplistic, uninvolving tosh, and I feel that Feist peaked with Magician... so probably no help

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Kate Elliott - Crown of Stars
    Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen
    J V Jones - Book of Words
    Melanie Rawn - Dragon Star and Dragon Prince trilogies
    Jaqueline Carey - Kushiels Legacy
    David Gemmel - John Shannow books, Drenai, Waylander

Your likes and dislikes are interesting

I can't think of any series that deserves to be avoided.

In my opinion Robert Jordan's, Wheel of Time is the Greatest story ever told. I'm sure you've all heard me say that.

Next to that, The Silmarillion was brilliant... I've read it countless times and it never looses anything.

What I wouldn't recommend? Charles De Lint...

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Sorry Shanoncia, but I have to disagree about Robert Jordan. It had the potential of being the greatest fantasy ever written but not anymore.
    I would avoid that series at all costs since it looks like it won't be finished until the Third Age actually roles around again.

Lol... sure the last book was a bit of a disapointment but the story is to complex to grasp the glory of it in a single novel. The entirety of it, including what Jordan hasn't written must be taken into consideration.

have you tried terry brooks shannara seris it is a great fantasy epic. another to try is RA Salvatores Demon War Saga.

Hello everyone. I'm new here, but am part of many forums.

I'm interested in a book that I recently picked up called "Seventh Son." It's a fantasy (the first of a series that was written back in the 80's) that is set in America, the map, only it apparently employs magic somewhere in there. The book has some amazing praise on it.

I was just wondering if any of you have come in contact with, or read this book... and I didn't want to start a whole new topic for this. I really wanted some feedback on this book from more people while I finish reading all of Raymond E. Feist's works. I'm on Rise of a Merchant Prince (book 2 of the serpentwar saga if any of you have read his amazing books).

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry about the choppy language.. i'ts 1AM and I should be in bed.

I'm a fan of Orson Scott Card's, and I liked his Alvin Maker series (the Seventh Son is the first installment). But I don't think it's his best work. My top two from him remain Ender's Game and Enchantment. The Seventh Son itself starts slow and it's not the high-point of the series, but it was still enjoyable.

Didn't like Fiest, though I plan on giving him another shot sometime.

Thank you for the comments.

As far as Feist is concerned... you really need to start with Magician: Apprentice. If you did that.. nevermind. lol

Originally posted by Shanoncia
    Lol... sure the last book was a bit of a disapointment but the story is to complex to grasp the glory of it in a single novel. The entirety of it, including what Jordan hasn't written must be taken into consideration.
    Given the fact that the story is not finished then how can anyone grasp it's glory?

More to the point how can you deem an unfinished story to be the greatest story ever written?

If the Dark One was defeated in Book 13 by an army of Smurfs, or Rand wakes up in a bedroom in Des Moines and finds that the whole thing was a dream (maybe nightmare would be more apt) would that reduce the stories quality?