Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Wow, only 7 hours ago I mention'd controlling the tempers.

Keep on the topic issue. Keep snarly remarks to yourself, or at least to PM.

If this continues...

Keyoke

Wow, I'd never even thought of the possiblities of PMs.

Originally posted by Caldazar
    Shan made a typo(I tink). Insert Jordan where she put Martin. Not that it matters.
    Lol thanks Cal... that is EXACTLY what I meant.

And Keyoke, I dunno... I kinda consider the "greatest story" debate to be on topic, for in my opinion the greatest is cerrainly an epic to involve yourself with. And in Eury's opinion people should steer clear of it. See?

Mod Edit: Shan, you have been warned re. attacks on other members. Sammie.

Originally posted by Shanoncia
    And in Eury's opinion people should steer clear of it. See?
    Actually you might want to re-read the thread. What I said was that you cannot call an unfinished story "the greatest of all time". A comment I stand by. Indeed a comment I find to be totally self-evident.

And calling me an "ass" shows a lot of class by the way.

Sorry but I was unimpressed by Martin's series unfortunatly. though it is notorized and ravd about to say the lest. Just found too many characters thrown into the mix at once, and I didn't reallly care about the characteres either, maybe I'lll eventuallly give it another go-around.
    How much did you read? Did you go beyond the first book? A Game of Thrones was decent but not great. I found it predictable and not all that engaging. Book 2 is a drastic improvement, though, and Book 3 was the best yet. If you can get past the not so great beginning, you might find yourself hooked. I certainly did.

you people just depress me sometimes :|

but hey, lets destroy that building depression with a bad joke eh?

Wow, only 7 hours ago I mention'd controlling the tempers.

Keep on the topic issue. Keep snarly remarks to yourself, or at least to PM.
    *cough*
    so.. here goes nothing..
    "I thought PMs... " - no, never mind..

Yeah!

Still new here; but cannot believe the serious levels of control being exerted.

Good points....yes I see/know them; bad points....let's talk censorship.
    Last edited by coercri; January 12th, 2004 at 12:11 PM.

Made it about 70 or eighty pages past the century mark with Game of Thrones before putting it down. Usually I'm pretty patient, but I just didn't see anything extraordinary awaiting me over the horizon.

Anyways has anyone checked out The Worthing Saga, if so what's your opinion on it?

I've heard a lot about Kate Elliot recently, anyone have some strong opinions on her work?

Luke-

As many others here would probably tell you, you should just STICK WITH IT! The beginning is a bit slow, that much is true. I wonder why Martin started the series with such a complicated and slow event. I mean, you're assaulted with dozens and dozens of names, relationships, and such right off the bat.

But trust me, it is the only part of the series so far that is like that. After the events at Winterfell start to conclude, things get both better paced and more interesting.

I personally didn't mind the beginning, but it's just a matter of opinion. All I really can say is do NOT judge the series by the beginning of the first book. Things get really, really good very fast. Wade through the first couple hundred pages and you'll be hooked.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've heard a lot about Kate Elliot recently, anyone have some strong opinions on her work?
    Well her Crown of Stars series is my third favourite and Alain is one of my favourite characters. Not sure if you would like it though based on your stated dislikes of other epic fantasy.

Eurytus, will you knock it off?!! Let Shan have her opinion for God's sake! If a person thinks a certain book/series is the greatest book/series in the world, and just because you think they're wrung and think their views are so inferior to yours, doesn't give you the right to go spouting your mouth off! Can't somebody have an opinion without people like you relentlessly flaming and criticizing them for it?!! Geez! I'm sorry if this post makes the administrators and mods want to start hootin' and hollerin' at me, and possibly ban me, but I just can't tolerate this crap of people flaming others for their opinions, and if my feelings about this make me out of line, then I guess I'm waaaaaay out of line then.

Shan, I stand behind you 100%, kid!

I personally didn't mind the beginning, but it's just a matter of opinion. All I really can say is do NOT judge the series by the beginning of the first book. Things get really, really good very fast. Wade through the first couple hundred pages and you'll be hooked.
    I wasn't crazy about the entire first novel. It had some great scenes, definitely, but it was a bit predictable and drawn out in ways that didn't agree with me. Really, it wasn't until the second half of the book that I really got interested, because it took me about that much time to give a damn about his characters.

That being said, once the hook sank (the end of AGOT did that for me), it didn't let go. And the next two books were awesome.

I reccomend trudging along, Luke.

I'm sorry if this post makes the administrators and mods want to start hootin' and hollerin' at me, and possibly ban me, but I just can't tolerate this crap of people flaming others for their opinions.
    Your opinion is wrong. (Teehee).

I never thought Game of Thrones was slow. It hooked me in the Prologue.

As a big fan of the Wheel of Time, I went into Song of Ice and Fire wanting to dislike it just because of some of the extremely annoying Wheel of Time haters/Martin adorers I've seen (not necessarily here).

The first book was good, but didn't amaze me, the following two were awesome however and I look forward to re-reading them before the next one comes out. So I would definitely stick with it if the first one was boring you. But I understand how first opinions can go, it's always hard for me to motivate myself after a first disappointment.

As for the Wheel of Time, I've read and thought about everything bad people can say about them, and agree with a lot of it, but it still doesn't make me want to stop reading them, because I enjoy so much that is in the books other than what everyone criticizes. I would definitely consider it a Fantasy Epic worth reading.

I haven't gotten around to reading Memory, Sorrow and Thorn yet, but I can't wait until I do. I absolutely love Otherland, which is definitely epic, if not fantasy.

Originally posted by Zsinj
    Eurytus, will you knock it off?!! Let Shan have her opinion for God's sake! If a person thinks a certain book/series is the greatest book/series in the world, and just because you think they're wrung and think their views are so inferior to yours, doesn't give you the right to go spouting your mouth off!
    Another person who actually needs to read what I said. I SAID that no unfinished story could be proclaimed “the greatest of all time”.
    This is simple logic and applies whether the subject be Jordan, Martin, Erikson or whomever.

But if you would rather turn this into another anti-Jordan thread then I’m afraid you’re on your own.