Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm going to read them when they're released; I just can't help myself. I'm such a DUNE geek.

My cynicism sense is tingling though - so they couldn't fit the story into one 'triumphant conclusion', they had to go for two more books. It's because the story is going to be so good that they couldn't bear to leave anything out, not anything to do with making more money at all, right? Right?

Please, at least get them a decent editor. Anything that will improve their prose.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I'm a bit disconcerted to hear that Dune 7 will now be two books.. what's the deal? I guess money, as Soon Lee said...

But what confuses me is that mention of the first volume in the "Paul of Dune" trilogy... I read over it several times and can't figure it out.

This is what I can figure out: They've done the Dune prequel trilogy (about the 3 houses, the only new ones I've read), now they're doing the Butlerian Jihad trilogy (haven't read it), then it mentions the 2 part Dune 7 and another short novel about Dune (whatever the heck that is), but what's this "Paul of Dune" trilogy talk? I can't figure it out. ANOTHER trilogy?!? This is just getting ridiculous.
    Last edited by Evil Agent; March 12th, 2004 at 02:05 PM.

The Paul of Dune trilogy is going to be the events that take place between House Corrino and Dune. Dune 7 must have been split into two books because of the neverending notes.

Um.. all I can say is that if you don't like them, you really don't have to buy them. Just pretend like it doesn't exist. But please don't say anything about those of us who like the books.

This is another of those issues that seems to get people polarized. I LOVED the original Dune series, as well as the second series by Herbert Sr. They were amazing. When his son picked up on the story, and did the prequals, I picked the first up and found out that I enjoyed it. I never bothered comparing to his father, what's the point... He is not his father. I just read it and decided I liked it. Although there were some continuity errors between his work and his fathers, that too is okay. Guess what, in history, facts become obscured or changed. I could 'see' how certain precepts grew and became what Herbert Sr. showed us in his novels. I have enjoyed all of his sons works thus far, and am really excited to read what he puts together based on his fathers notes from beyond Chapterhouse Dune... (more about the scattering... learning about the fate of prime characters, perhaps???)
    All good fun. Science fiction, space opera, whatever.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I think Dune 7 is necessary, the first prequel trilogy makes sense, and I GUESS the Butlerian Jihad one makes sense too, but squeezing another trilogy about Paul in between House Corrino and Dune seems a little insane to me! However, I'm not trashing the books in any way, it just seems a bit much.. like they might be milking it for all it's worth.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    it just seems a bit much.. like they might be milking it for all it's worth.
    ...And i'm sure there's room in the publishing world for Herbert Senior's 2000+ pages of notes too....

Hobbit
    Mark

I wonder if the Dune stories they are talking about are from the various chapbooks they have been selling.

There have been, in the black and white ads in Locus a couple of Dune chapbooks. They aren't from a major publisher, and they never say exactly what is inside.

I am not interested, because I am one of those who detest Herbert & Anderson and all their works, but I have a friend who is a Dune fanatic and he doesn't get Locus and its my job to keep him informed (he likes the new stuff). He never ordered one, because the prices were pretty steep, but he was always curious what was in them.

unconditional roach love
    I know that Wormhole Books released one Dune chapbook by Herbert and Anderson. Never heard of a series of the things though.

It's not even as if Dune was the only great thing Frank Herbert did - I find the planet Pandora in the Pandora trilogy far more fascinating.

Sacrilege!

Quote Originally Posted by Shehzad
    I won't read them, for the same reason I won't read the Foundation add-ons or Christopher Tolkien's Middle-Earth books: they're not by the original author.
    Eh? The Histories of Middle-Earth series is comprised solely of JRRT's works, with explanatory notes with regards to publication, etc by Christopher. The HoME series is more true to Middle-earth than the Silmarillion with WAS edited by Christopher, whereas HoME is straight from the gob of Tolkien.

I'm not going to eat anymore chicken because they're not coming from the same farm...

More like:
    "I like a nice corn-fed organic chicken so I won't eat an emaciated old stringy roasting fowl."

The characters may be the same but the writing style and IMHO the quality are lightyears apart. But as I've previously mentioned, I'll read them anyway. It still bothers me that because some concepts were presented in the prequel novels, concepts that showed up in Herbert senior's books, it now appears that Frank Herbert stole his ideas from his son and Kevin J. Anderson, the most egregious example being the no-ship in the prequels.

Read the Butlerian Jihad and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Throckmorton
    Read the Butlerian Jihad and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    The Machine Crusade is even better. I'm waiting until Christmas to get The Battle of Corrin.

*wonders if she should shanghai the BF into buying Machine Crusade for her birthday*

The first one didn't impress me, but if it gets better, I might be tempted to read it if I don't have to shell out for it myself.

/me is stingy.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardofPants
    *wonders if she should shanghai the BF into buying Machine Crusade for her birthday*

The first one didn't impress me, but if it gets better, I might be tempted to read it if I don't have to shell out for it myself.

/me is stingy.
    So you're going to make a loved one spend money on it? That's not nice....