Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new Kearney?

Quote Originally Posted by Stromkern View Post
    Why would the same publisher release 2 mass-market paperbacks of one book within a month, with only a different cover?

Pretty sure the release dates got pushed back a bit and cover design was changed. They had the same cover for both volumes until now and people were criticizing that.
    Which is precisely why I'm asking, notice that both books have different ISBN numbers...

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Ha.../9781906735715

Everywhere I look it has that release coming out in July. Might it have outdated information? Yeah, but it might be just what it is, a different version with a different publication date, one that is coming soon too.

Why would they do this? I don't know... why do some book in the UK release paperback and hardcover simultaneously, while in the states it usually don't?

For their own, highly confused, reasons Solaris decided to issue 'placeholder' covers for their new books, followed by the 'real' cover a couple of months later. This has seriously confused Amazon, who have had to create entirely new entries for the new covers.

As far as I can tell, the covers and dates I posted are the accurate ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    For their own, highly confused, reasons Solaris decided to issue 'placeholder' covers for their new books, followed by the 'real' cover a couple of months later. This has seriously confused Amazon, who have had to create entirely new entries for the new covers.

As far as I can tell, the covers and dates I posted are the accurate ones.
    Yeah, it's a bit confusing, but ignoring the covers for the moment, why the different ISBN numbers and page numbers for that matter?

I wonder if they're simply releasing two different formats, or if they had planned to release one way initially, and now those plans are scratched.

Amazon is not the only one carrying both versions on their site, with different prices too.

I guess we'll have to wait and see I guess for the time being.

IIRC ISBN numbers can sometimes change if the cover artwork is changed, and the 'old' editions can sometimes float around on Amazon for a while before being deleted.

Paul has also confirmed the split in books: Hawkwood's Voyage and The Heretic Kings will comprise the first omnibus, whilst The Iron Wars, The Second Empire and a partially-rewritten Ships From the West will make up the second.

IIRC ISBN numbers can sometimes change if the cover artwork is changed, and the 'old' editions can sometimes float around on Amazon for a while before being deleted.

Paul has also confirmed the split in books: Hawkwood's Voyage and The Heretic Kings will comprise the first omnibus, whilst The Iron Wars, The Second Empire and a partially-rewritten Ships From the West will make up the second.
    Wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    I've waited, what seems like, forever for these omnibus editions. This summer is turning out to be rather nice indeed.

The final cover for Hawkwood and the Kings, complete with a solid recommendation from Steven Erikson on the cover.

There's an art blog here which also reveals the new maps for the books and why they chose to redraw them, and what elements went into the new cover art.
    Last edited by Werthead; June 8th, 2010 at 10:04 AM.

I had ordered the first book from bookdepository, but just cancelled it yesterday... I'm still confused about which books are which. I've tried to confirm with multiple sites with the ISBN numbers, and they all have particular variations that give me zero confidence in what I'm buying.

It's this one:

The ISBN-13 is 978-1-906735-70-8
    The ISBN-10 is 1906735700

It's the one on the official Solaris website and on the back of the book itself (see above image).

At least, that's the British one. What the American one is seems to be unclear.
    Last edited by Werthead; June 8th, 2010 at 02:21 PM.

It's this one:

The ISBN-13 is 978-1-906735-70-8
    The ISBN-10 is 1906735700

It's the one on the official Solaris website and on the back of the book itself (see above image).

At least, that's the British one. What the American one is seems to be unclear.
    And I take it this is the correct 2nd volume?
    http://www.solarisbooks.com/titles/t...msijr7fe82vb06

I guess I had ordered the right one. But one of the things the put me off was the page count in bookdepository, which is less than the one in the solaris website. Just a lot of little details like that that no website could agree upon.

And for example, if I use the ISBN-13 from the solaris website for Century of the Soldier on Bookdepository it brings me to a page that is titled The Heretic Kings, though it has the Century of the Soldier cover.

Amazon, Bookdepository, etc. just have a complete mess at the moment with the product details... particularly for books that are supposed to be released in 2 months or so. Makes little sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    And I take it this is the correct 2nd volume?
    http://www.solarisbooks.com/titles/t...msijr7fe82vb06

I guess I had ordered the right one. But one of the things the put me off was the page count in bookdepository, which is less than the one in the solaris website. Just a lot of little details like that that no website could agree upon.

And for example, if I use the ISBN-13 from the solaris website for Century of the Soldier on Bookdepository it brings me to a page that is titled The Heretic Kings, though it has the Century of the Soldier cover.

Amazon, Bookdepository, etc. just have a complete mess at the moment with the product details... particularly for books that are supposed to be released in 2 months or so. Makes little sense to me.
    I'd hold off on Century of the Soldier until they release the final cover (the current one is a placeholder) so we can double-check the ISBN on the back cover.

However, whilst various ISBNs point at different editions of the book due to placeholders and early copy, there is only one, big paperback edition of each omnibus that is going to be in existence. Even if you ended up ordering the 'wrong' edition via Amazon or Bookdepository, you should receive the right book because they'll only be selling the one edition. Worst case scenario is that the website will 'cancel' the order and not take your money, so you can then re-order the correct edition.

They have been confusing about this, it has to be said, by releasing early placeholder cover art which seems to have bemused Amazon's order-tracking system.

I'd hold off on Century of the Soldier until they release the final cover (the current one is a placeholder) so we can double-check the ISBN on the back cover.

However, whilst various ISBNs point at different editions of the book due to placeholders and early copy, there is only one, big paperback edition of each omnibus that is going to be in existence. Even if you ended up ordering the 'wrong' edition via Amazon or Bookdepository, you should receive the right book because they'll only be selling the one edition. Worst case scenario is that the website will 'cancel' the order and not take your money, so you can then re-order the correct edition.

They have been confusing about this, it has to be said, by releasing early placeholder cover art which seems to have bemused Amazon's order-tracking system.
    I'm just trying to take advantage of the 48% off @ $5.99 deal that Bookdepository has, and I want to buy the sequel omnibus too at the same time.

Hopefully it'll straighten out in the coming months before it gets released and the special is still available.

guys i think the numbers are both correct, the difference is if it is the US or the UK Edition (i had this problem with another Solaris book)

Hawkwood and the Kings:

US ISBN-13: 978-1906735715 (placeholder cover Amazon)

UK ISBN-13: 978-1906735708 (More updated cover but not final cover Amazon UK)

Century of the Soldier:

US ISBN-13: 978-1907519093 (Amazon)

UK ISBN-13:978-1907519086 (for some reason now called "The Heretic Kings" Amazon UK)

Amazon.com usually lists UK titles but only as "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available", that is why both editions are listed there

Because the Book Depository has both US and UK editions you have them both listed
    with the usual discount of 25% discount to $5.99 for a US paperback preorder
    and of 48% to $5.99 for a UK paperback preorder

also just for comparison the Solaris released book for last month
    "Banners In The Wind" by Juliet E McKenna, has 2 ISBN-13 Numbers both in stock
    US: 978-1906735753 (Amazon.com), UK: 978-1906735746 (Amazon UK, listed as "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available" on Amazon.com)

or "Dark Lady's Chosen" by Gail Martin, US: 978-1844168316, UK: 978-1844168309

and you can see this for most Solaris books
    Last edited by Phoenix555; June 9th, 2010 at 06:27 PM.

Cover art for Century of the Soldier, the second Monarchies omnibus.

More excitingly and less expectedly, the cover art for the third Macht book, The Kings of Morning. This will be published in July 2011, only eight months after Corvus.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For those in the know, is Kearney likely to manage a third book in the Sea Beggars series?