Hip, cool, jiggy wit' it emohawk's Avatar

Hal Clement dies

I always find it really sad when one of the old masters dies. From Locus:

Hal Clement Dies

Harry Clement Stubbs, who wrote science fiction as Hal Clement, died in his sleep [on] October 29, 2003, at his home in Milton, Massachusetts.

Born in 1922, Clement was a high school school teacher whose fiction gained a reputation as quintessential hard SF -- science fiction firmly based on established physics, chemistry, and astronomy. His novels often depicted highly imagined alien worlds; the most famous was Mission of Gravity, set on a heavy, fast-spinning planet where the force of gravity is several times greater at the poles than at the equator. His last novel, Noise, was published earlier this year.

Clement was named a Grand Master by the Science Fiction Writers of America in 1999. Among other honors was a Retro-Hugo Award in 1996 for his 1945 story "Uncommon Sense".

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't aware of this, emohawk, so Thank You for bringing it to our attention.

Another one gone....always sad. He was a real polymath, wasn't he?

I like Mission of Gravity. Old style Sf but with a solid grounding in science.

Hobbit
    Mark

Sad news indeed. I really enjoyed his novel "Needle" where an alien cop shaped like an ameba crash lands on earth while chasing a vicious criminal from his home world. These aliens are parasites that can invade another creatures body and take control. The cop in order to survive enters the body of a teenager and gets his cooperation to help find the criminal. Its all great stuff and I heard there was a sequal but have never found it.

Seeker of Stuff Moderator Kamakhya's Avatar
    Ah yes, now I remember. I found Needle at a used book shop for a quarter or some such price and bought it because I had never read any Clement. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Sigh...it is sad to see the "greats" passing on. Thankfully, there are plenty of authors to take their places.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For future reference, Raggedy -

As far as I can see, the sequel was called Through the Eye of a Needle. Quite hard to find now, but I guess if you look around (second hand stores or the Internet) then the details are that the paperback was published by Ballantine Books in 1978. The ISBN number was 0345284100.

Hobbit
    Mark

I've read a lot of Hal Clement's stuff and was sad to hear he passed.

I was at the World SF Convention in Winnipeg, Manitioba, which was in the early 1990s 1992, I think -- anyway, I was walking down the hall, and who do I see coming the other way -- two old guys - -they were wearing name tags, and one name tag read "Frederick Pohl," and the other was "Hal Clement."

I practically swooned. The person I was with at the time knew nothing at all about SF -- but I said to her: "I can't believe I just saw Hal Clement and Fred Pohl, walking along chatting with each other -- my God! I walked right past them!"

Clement had a very warm, friendly face -- you could see laughter in his eyes, I thought.