This club is open to all. Each month, we will choose one novel to read and then discuss it. Nominations usually begin six weeks before the designated month and Voting takes place four weeks before the designated month and lasts between 7 and 10 days. Discussions begin on the first of every month.
We do have some guidelines for the club. The purpose of the guidelines if to promote equal access to all and diversity.
The basic guidelines are as follows:
1) No author may be chosen more than once during any given six month period. There can be multiple nominations for any given author, but once that author has been chosen for a Book of the Month, he/she is cannot be nominated for another 6 months.
2) It takes two nominations for a book to enter the poll.
3) The book should be either a stand-alone novel or the first of a series.
4) The books should be available as a mass market paperback. However, we will accept nominations for trade paperbacks, but they will require at least three nominations to be considered for the poll. We will not accept nominations for books only available in hardback.
5) The books should be readily available in both North America and England. To determine the availability of a book, check amazon.com for the U.S. and amazon.co.uk for England. Sadly, this leaves our Australian (and other nationalities) to fend for themselves. Please let me know if a particular nomination is difficult or costly to acquire in your country. Once again, should a book not meet this criteria, it will take three nominations to get it a place on the poll.
If possible, I will alert our members to issues involving cost or availability on the poll itself, so we can choose whether or not to vote for any given novel.
The Science Fiction Book Club is an on-going and changing project. The above guidelines are simply that, guidelines, and not meant to be written in stone. I will continue to update this informational message as needs dictate.
I want everyone to feel comfortable making suggestions, so I will leave this thread open to reply. This book club is a group project and all members are free to comment, suggest or otherwise opine.