Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User CharlotteAshley's Avatar

March/April 2014 Short Story Contest

I have to admit to being a little under-inspired this time around: March and April mean, to much of the world, spring and rebirth, but up here at the mouth of a thousand hells (Canada) March and April are just the tail end of interminable winter, the time by which we have forgotten entirely what grass and leaves look like, and by which even our potatoes are going black and tasteless. There is no spring, very little rebirth, and we're all pretty bloody sick of it.

Ahem.

So I'm going to fling out there a big-idea topic, something you can interpret any way you choose (as long as it is fantasy/scifi/horror/weird, 6000 words or less, and turned in by the 25th of April 2014), and something which will probably land so far from here that I don't have to think about our lack of spring any longer.

50,000 Years Ago

Got that? Maybe your story takes place 50,000 years ago. Maybe it takes place 200,000 years from now, at the culmination of a 50,000 year old long war. Maybe we're unearthing ancient Gods, decrypting ancient tablets, coming to the end of an Ice Age, toppling the ancient Titan Empire that has held power these last 50,000 years.... whatever. Go where you will. Please do go as far afield as possible: it will make me feel better.

Cheers!

I love the topic almost as much as your descriptor at the mouth of a thousand hells - is this a common way of describing Canada, and if yes or no, why?

known as Noumenon no more Andrew Leon Hudson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slynt View Post
    ...and if yes or no, why?
    Well put!

Also, message board? Here, have at least ten characters.

Blog Entries
    I love the topic almost as much as your descriptor at the mouth of a thousand hells - is this a common way of describing Canada, and if yes or no, why?
    I do believe Charlotte is referring to the agonizing winter that we've been having. The past few years had been so mild that I think people forgot what a hard winter looks like, until this year; we were hit with an ice storm that caused power outages and millions of dollars worth in damages across Toronto and surrounding cities, beyond frigid temperatures throughout January and February, and constant snowfall since November. Just last week there was a sudden blinding snow storm that caused a 100 car pile-up on one of the highways about 45 minutes north of Toronto.

Needless to say, people are getting sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by norm View Post
    I do believe Charlotte is referring to the agonizing winter that we've been having.

Needless to say, people are getting sick of it.
    To be fair, I have always hated winter. -.- My childhood is scarred with memories of trick-or-treating in snowpants through 5-foot snowbanks; sledding in April. Grrragh, enough already!

Am moving to the south of France at the earliest opportunity.

Here I hoped that - the mouth of a thousand hells - was the actual theme.

It's a great title and/or topic. As for snow, I am so used to it every year that I don't mind it at all. The North remembers.

I got excited about a concept this morning and wrote the first scene. Now I hope to find the same enthusiasm for the rest of the story, which isn't always the case with me. Anyone else started writing?

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I got excited about a concept this morning and wrote the first scene. Now I hope to find the same enthusiasm for the rest of the story, which isn't always the case with me. Anyone else started writing?
    I actually wrote a 300 snippet for Mark Lawrence's contest (over on Bloody Cake News) that used the 50,000 year concept of Charlotte's. I may expand it or use it as a seed...maybe...

All right, a rough first draft done @ 4396 words. now to make it readable and entertaining

known as Noumenon no more Andrew Leon Hudson's Avatar
    I was just reading the lamentations regarding the dwindling number of entries to the flash contests, which I share (while simultaneously failing to help counter). My writing output is a fraction of what it was last year. I guess I have other things occupying my mental plate, some of which I'm happy to have, others of which feel more like space wasting. I don't know where my anthology entry is in this mix either; the kernel I started with hasn't sprouted at all so far.

Anyway, I very recently had an idea for a completely unrelated short story for the first time in quite a while, and discussing it with a friend yesterday it morphed so far that I think I now have the germ for two stories on a shared theme. Perhaps, I thought as I walked home, I could spin this out and do a series of them, if only I had more...

50,000 years ago... maybe I have the third.

Blog Entries
    I'll start on my story tonight!

How is it coming along? My short stalled during second draft as I have been really motivated to work o my novel, rewriting drafts up to three years old. Something about my short that doesn't click with me and I don't know what it is.. but I will try to get something up soonish.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J. View Post
    ...but I will try to get something up soonish.
    I hope you do, because I have nothing.

ACK, I don't know why, but I thought this was April/May. My brain is mothballed. I blame the endless winter. I'm struggling with the WiP, not sure I'll make it to a 2nd story this month. We'll have to see...