Finding a Good Content Editor

My apologies if this topic is in another post. I did several searches but no post-titles jumped out at me, especially posts made in the last couple of years.

I am looking for a good content editor, one with experience in SFF short stories / novelettes / novellas. I am hesitant to approach anyone on a freelance site as it is very difficult to gage their level of experience.

I have researched content editors but as we all know the 'web' is an unfiltered mass of (mis)information and it is hard to find just what you are looking for.

I was hoping the members here could recommend someone that they've worked with in the past.

Thanks,
    D.

Registered User CharlotteAshley's Avatar
    I have a couple of suggestions for you, D.L., but you don't take private messages. Feel free to DM me or email me at charlotte at once-and-future dot com.

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jennifer P's mother is an editor with reasonable rates. I thought I had bookmarked her webpage but now I can't find it. Maybe she'll see this post and chime in for her ma.

You might also want to check your local area for editor associations. Here in the San Francisco bay area there is the Bay Area Editor's Forum. The editors whom are members are supposed to be vetted. Doesn't mean you will be happy with the results, but at least you won't be ripped off. Anyway, might there be something like that near where you are at?

Quote Originally Posted by D.L. Legg View Post
    My apologies if this topic is in another post. I did several searches but no post-titles jumped out at me, especially posts made in the last couple of years.

I am looking for a good content editor, one with experience in SFF short stories / novelettes / novellas. I am hesitant to approach anyone on a freelance site as it is very difficult to gage their level of experience.

I have researched content editors but as we all know the 'web' is an unfiltered mass of (mis)information and it is hard to find just what you are looking for.

I was hoping the members here could recommend someone that they've worked with in the past.

Thanks,
    D.
    It's always OK, when querying self-listed content editors, to ask about their experience in your field. You're hiring them; you have a right to know what they've done. What to ask? How many SFF projects have they worked on? How many SFF projects they worked on have been published? Where? Do they have publishing experience (e.g. worked as editor in a traditional publishing house?) How do they approach content editing? What kinds of stories do they like? (If you write only grim dystopic, and they personally like upbeat, light-hearted...they will find things "wrong" in your story that are right for grim dystopic. And vice versa. Editors try to do a good job with all stories, but personal taste does affect them, as it does all of us.)

A friend of mine who's a freelance editor (nonfiction, mostly) is tightly enough scheduled that she may not be able to take on a new project for several months...so another thing to ask (if you're now down to two or three) is how busy each one is...and how fast each one works.

The potential editor also needs to know exactly what you mean by "content editor" (it's not the same for all writers.) What is it that you want from the editor? Help with story structure? Help finding continuity errors (of all types, from "on page 8, Jim turned right to get to the bakery; on page 27, he turns left" to "for 32 pages, Janet is depicted as having a disabling fear of spiders, but on page 33, she brushes a spider off the curtain with her hand. What happened to the arachnophobia?") Copy editing?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteAshley View Post
    I have a couple of suggestions for you, D.L., but you don't take private messages. Feel free to DM me or email me at charlotte at once-and-future dot com.
    That's very good of you Charlotte, thank you. Try contacting me now, I've changed my settings.

Registered User CharlotteAshley's Avatar
    That's very good of you Charlotte, thank you. Try contacting me now, I've changed my settings.
    Hm, it still says "D.L. Legg has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

Want to just email me?

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Try contacting me now, I've changed my settings.
    For new members, you must post up to 10 times (I believe 10 times, or thereabouts) before Private Messaging privileges are instated.

We had to do this because spambots and spammers would create an account and then send spam via the PM messaging system.

Thanks for your understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by N. E. White View Post
    For new members, you must post up to 10 times (I believe 10 times, or thereabouts) before Private Messaging privileges are instated.

We had to do this because spambots and spammers would create an account and then send spam via the PM messaging system.

Thanks for your understanding.

I understand N.E. White, thank you. I will email Charlotte for the information.