Magazines vs anthologies

I'm thinking of writing some SFF short stories, but I'm not sure where to send them. Which are best for starting writers - such magazines and ezines as exist, or these anthologies I see advertized?

And which actually gets read more?

Registered User CharlotteAshley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestertester View Post
    I'm thinking of writing some SFF short stories, but I'm not sure where to send them. Which are best for starting writers - such magazines and ezines as exist, or these anthologies I see advertized?

Hm, well, my experience, the key to getting published anywhere is to fit with what the zine or anthology is publishing. So it can sometimes be easier to get published in a themed anthology because you are writing specifically to the theme they want to see. Anthologies, however, are rarely read (in my experience). Free, online zines have more readership, but you're up against a wider range of work to get in.

If you are just starting, though, the question won't be "where do I want to appear" so much as it will be "who will take me?" You'll get a lot of rejections. Check out the Write One/Sub One thread! And do run your work through the Workshop here so that it's as good as you can make it...

Finding markets with Duotrope

I subscribe to Duotrope (http://www.duotrope.com) and find it great for spotting
    submission calls for anthologies. I just wrote and placed a story, my second with
    the same publisher. Can't say I'm making much...

Andrew MacRae

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteAshley View Post
    Hm, well, my experience, the key to getting published anywhere is to fit with what the zine or anthology is publishing. So it can sometimes be easier to get published in a themed anthology because you are writing specifically to the theme they want to see. Anthologies, however, are rarely read (in my experience). Free, online zines have more readership, but you're up against a wider range of work to get in.

If you are just starting, though, the question won't be "where do I want to appear" so much as it will be "who will take me?" You'll get a lot of rejections. Check out the Write One/Sub One thread! And do run your work through the Workshop here so that it's as good as you can make it...

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestertester View Post
    I think ezines (or magazines) see far more readers than anthologies. I think.

It really depends on the anthology. Obviously, if you end up in an anthology edited by GRRM or Dozois or Strahan or any other big-time editor, lots of folks are going to read it. If, however, you end up in any one of the standard short story compilations, then your readership will probably be limited to the editor and (maybe) your mom.

The best way to get your work widely distributed is to get your stuff published in a variety of formats (anthologies, ezines, free on the web, Wattpad, Amazon, Smashwords, etc). That might not translate into your work getting read, but you have a far better chance!