Page 3 of 197 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Zelazny Wannabe
    Tidied up Chapter 3 of Sleeping Dragon and stuck it on the website. It's the first one with some meat to it, in addition to some deeper exploration of the Montgomery character (who happens to be my favorite, ever ;p).

I also prettied up Withdrawal and submitted it to an actual magazine, as inspired by maus99. Cross yer fingers for me.

-Daniel

As of now my second Fantasy novel, STANDS THE ARCHER, was accepted and should be out fairly soon. This story is a follow-up to my first novel, COVINA, its a continuation of her adventures. Hoping I might be able to get two or three more books with this character.

Zelazny Wannabe
    Another great day today. I've just been absolutely cruising along lately with writing, and since I know what the other side of the coin looks like, I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

I finished part one of Holy Land, which is a short story that's going to be one of four introductions to a long series I've been planning for a while. The characters came through very strong after a little bit of a misfire.

Also wrote not one but TWO chapters of Twilight War, one of which is a big ole fashioned melee.

user123, is Covina in print? Where can I get a copy? ;p.

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    Three Flash Fiction stories written, edited and submited to Alien Skin Mag's flash fiction Title contest.

Since I had the bug, I wrote a story for all three of the titles they gave.

Crunch of Bone
    Stagnant Water
    The Open Window

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

So, user123, I've the same question: where can one get a copy of your book(s)?

and that's great getting picked up for a second novel! If the first didn't do well, you'd never get a second (or so I've heard).

PaxNoctis, Maus99
    You can find COVINA at Barnes & Noble and Amazon. As for Stands the Archer, it isn't in print yet, but will be soon. Thanks for your interest and if you do happen to pick-up a copy I would love to hear what you thought of it. Good, Bad, it doesn't matter since all feedback is good feedback.

Here is what the cover looks like.

lets see...

Alrighty here, lets see...

Almost finished with my first novel in a planned three-novel trilogy...all I really need is slight plot corrections and editing.

The one that really gets me is my sequel to it. I'm about halfway through it, but that guy keeps getting in my way...whats his name...Writer's Block. I've fallen on lack of inspiration, even though I know EXACTLY how I want the entire book to go, but I can't seem to write creatively nor do I have motivation. Which, is a real downer, seeing as I have LOTS of inspiration to write the third, but depending on how the second one ends (my co-writer decides that) depends on how it starts.

I wish there was an easy cure for writer's block...

Re: lets see...

Originally posted by Tasnek
    Alrighty here, lets see...

Almost finished with my first novel in a planned three-novel trilogy...all I really need is slight plot corrections and editing.

The one that really gets me is my sequel to it. I'm about halfway through it, but that guy keeps getting in my way...whats his name...Writer's Block. I've fallen on lack of inspiration, even though I know EXACTLY how I want the entire book to go, but I can't seem to write creatively nor do I have motivation. Which, is a real downer, seeing as I have LOTS of inspiration to write the third, but depending on how the second one ends (my co-writer decides that) depends on how it starts.

I wish there was an easy cure for writer's block...
    If you know exactly how you want Book 2 to go, that may be what's causing the writer's block. Planning everything out sometimes makes your brain feel that you've already created it, which is why you may be drawn to Book 3 where things are more up in the air. Or maybe you just reached a point in your story where it's less about creating than sloughing through. You could try writing bits of Book 3, since you don't have to start at the beginning, and that may jumpstart Book 2. Or you could have your partner write some parts which you could then react to, which may make it easier to get going. You could take a small break and work on something else for a bit, or you can force yourself to write, even if all you write is "I am blocked" over and over. There isn't an easy cure for writers block but try a few things and maybe one of them will work. Tim Powers said he makes deals with himself -- write the scene, then he can have a beer. Maybe bribery is the way to go.

Thanks KatG, you're always a good help. I'll work on that.

Work wore me down heavily this week and too many 'honey-dos' at home ate up my time. I ran into a slump. Nothing written thus far this week.

I also got two nicely worded rejections. Both were Fantasy short stories. I'll be reviewing them, rewording where needed, and submitting them to the other mags. Works out nicely. Both said it was nice writing, but were going to pass now on the story, and to send them something else.

I did, however, manage to read 3 books (or so I read 2 and finished one). I read two similar books and have an outstanding idea for a book. It'll go on the shelf and require TONS of research, but it'll tilt the views of religion on its head -- if I can pull it off that is. The book that keyed it all off was written in 1968 (well, published anyway). Chariots of the Gods. I had read it long ago and it sparked off greatly dormant ideas. I also read an associated book, but don't have the title handy (I hate leaving books at work). But are great reading, though the second has a large number of supporting research and documentation. Chariots is mostly a ramble of unsupported claims.

So I read, didn't write. I'm hoping the flash will erupt in my brain tonight after watching one of the very few TV shows I watch (Survivor). If not, I'll polish off the Dragonbone chair finally (only 100 pages left). Then I need to figure out what to read next.

I'm thinking, because of this thread and how much fun I have posting here, of starting a week blog on my web page. I have a tendency to ramble in these posts and thought it might be better aimed at a blog on my web site. I'll have to dwell on that one.

I've been SOOOOOO busy, I haven't had time to work on my screenplay or my short stories, let alone answer email. I keep popping onto this forum at work.

About blogs: I have one, and find it difficult to keep up. I just recently added a section in my About page that lists the public forums I hang out on, including this one. It also lists my AIM screen name. That way, if I ever have a fan...it's possible...they can find my up-to-date ramblings on any number of forums. I always post as "Abby".

Still haven't started that BLOG page as of yet though it is on my list of things to do.

I have, however, written a couple new short stories that I hadn't planned on writing. They just 'popped' in there.

Wooden Circle: a story about a Wood dragon -- he eats trees and grows wooden scales.
    Acid Arrow: A simple tale about a woman's revenge.

Couple interesting stories that still require editing . I made the mistake of writing down TOO much plot for A boy and his Dragon and it seems to have stalled me out on that story. I will, hopefully, be banging out chapters again real soon.

Work has been hectic and left precious little time to write. But I'm going to see if I can't do another story before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by maus99
    Work has been hectic and left precious little time to write. But I'm going to see if I can't do another story before bed.
    LOL; that's my mantra!

Blog Entries
    Well; sent a story off to Andromenda, waiting for the rejection. The Lichfield Prize 2004 short list is announced in June, waiting to see if I don't make it. *g*

If I don't I have a book re-edited to start sending out....

Still struggling to get the monster edited. I really need a tech edit on that, no comments on structure/ content/ way it is written. I can't or rather won't alter large amounts of it.. it stands or falls now. But a typo, incorrectly spelt etc edit is badly needed.

In fact I feel pretty sure I will contine to receive rejections....

Well, good luck, Holbrook! I hope you get an acceptance. It has to happen sometime, especially if you've been writing and trying to get published for a while. Then it'll happen soon.

Judging by the quality of your posts, you may not be as bad with grammar and spelling as you seem to think. It could be that you won't need to pay a proofreader for that service. Here's one my favorite sites for brushing up on grammar rules: http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html . It's a little disorganized, but it covers everything from comma usage to spelling errors that few people are aware of.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep us updated on those stories you send out.
    Last edited by Abby; April 29th, 2004 at 02:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    Andromenda; Well, the short story has gotten over the first hurdle, passed on to the second string readers... got this far before, even had stories held for three months pending a decision to print... See how far this one goes...

Monster half re-written now, need to get my finger out and finish this serious re-edit. Then try and proof read it for typos etc....

Five weeks about until the Lichfield Prize short list is announced....