Page 4 of 198 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Spent the morning re writing two short stories.

"Jac" a twist on Jack the Ripper has gone off to Dark Corners.

"All Things Seen" A short story I love and which has a long history *g* well neatened it up a bit and sent off to Neo-opsis

See what happens... who knows.... (damn the smilie worked!)

Blog Entries
    Jac rejected, re submitted to Dark Anumus

All Things Seen passed on to main editor... Will have the yes or no in a few weeks....

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar

Found some time

I was able to write:

Acid Arrow - A tale of a woman's revenge
    Wooden Circle - a modern day dragon story

both are on the editing room floor.

I also got half way into writing:

The Cave

and when I got to where I thought the story was going to end, I was left hanging. The story will be at least double its current 4800 word length as I'm only half way into the story. As I wrote the story morphed on me. No I'm writing stuff I didn't know was going to happen.

Once I finish that story, if nothing else is screaming to get out, I'll get back to a boy and his dragon.

Zelazny Wannabe
    Been a long time. New job + drumming in a band = no time for writing.

Luckily, however, I'm comfortable enough in the new job to stark slacking, and so I'm back with a vengeance.

Withdrawal got rejected (of course) under the guise that it, "Had nothing to separate it from other stories of the type." At least they didn't say, "Damn this sucked." Or "Quit writing and focus your attention on something easy, like being a fry cook at McDonalds." But meh. I forsee self-publishing in my future.

Today I banged out a tremendously long chapter of Twilight War (http:\\cool.sapphiresoft.net\noctis\twilight.htm) , and it was hard because it involved the death of one of the main characters, and it happens to be one that: A) I liked a lot, and B) was involved in a very sweet relationship with another of my favorite characters. I rarely kill off my characters, and it was hard to bring myself to do it, but it really does advance the plot in interesting ways.

I'm taking a breather atm, then I'm going to dive into Holy Land and bang out some more delightful, Machiavellian intrigue.

Oh, and if any of you haven't listened to Evanescence, go buy their CD and listen to it. Wow.

-Daniel

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook
    Andromenda; Well, the short story has gotten over the first hurdle, passed on to the second string readers... got this far before, even had stories held for three months pending a decision to print... See how far this one goes...

Got through the second string readers, now being held waiting a decision. One in three make it through this....

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar

Important Announcement!

Because blowing your own trumpet is sometimes awkward,
    allow me:

Lucky Joe has a story now appearing in Antipodean SF:
    Antipodean SF

Well done, Lucky Joe!

A most excelent story Lucky Joe! Obviously the 'luck' part of your name is a misnomer. Keep up the great work!

I've been silent the part week or so. Dang nab-it. Work has been sucking in a mojor way. I work for a large comapny that has just announced a strike. Being that I am not of the union, I will be working 12 hour days. Drat. But life will roll on.

I wrote Don't Talk to the Dog, worked on the Cave and also worked on The Gate.

I had a few rejections and now have 7 stories that needed to be reviewed and resent. The worst rejection was a form letter from Asimov's after four and a half months of waiting. I have 14 somewhere in the process and I am waiting to hear word back on those.

I've reviewed my priorities. I'm going to attempt to edit book 1 again (ok, so I edited it, I just need to get those edits into the computer). Then I want to delve back into book 2. Interspersed between edits, I hope to do another short story or two.

Hopefully this strike will blow over quickly and the stress it's caused in my life gone as well. This has really put a damper on my creativity and I really want to get back at it. This slump has sucked.

An imaginary place in my brain where creativity is appreciated!
    Work is proceeding on 'Maiden's Point', a ghost story, while I submitted my book, the first novel of my trilogy to a publisher last week.
    Last edited by Jamza1986; December 15th, 2006 at 08:41 AM.

I just submitted my first manuscript "Tiiheläinen" (can't be translated, reason: made up word) to two publishers (would have submitted more but I ran out of paper when printing at school. Yes, that can be a reason). No agents are used around here so its "double or nothing" right away.

Plan for the next couple of months: Sit by the front door when the mailman arrives. Sweat. Become paranoid. Go through different stages of self acceptance. Repeat.

Blog Entries
    Well my novel "The Hat Man" did not mke the short list for the Lichfield Prize 2004. *sigh*

Not that I expected it to, a fantasy novel, no matter how good ( and mine wasn't that good) would not stand much of a change in a "open" category comp... Still least the letter informing me was hand typed... lol...

Good do I feel as sick as a parrot over this. But it will pass, I hope... *g*

I need to start looking for publishers. I have re-edited it and added a chapter... so.....

I hate these times....

I hope the parrot mood passes quickly and you can get back at it. You shouldn't feel down as you do have great ideas and are quite talented.

For myself, I've been run through the ringer this week. The strike at my company only lasted 4 days, but its effects on me personally were devistating (working 12 hour days for 5 days). It was emotionally exhausting and mentally draining. Had a hard time sleep or concentrating.

To go along with my down mood I also recieved a couple rejections citing one story as 'dull in execution' . Kinda sorta took the wind out of my sails. I plan on abandoning much of my rejected works and move forward without them. I'll probably post them up on my web site and let others bash them. I do have a couple that I'll be re-writing and re-submitting to other places.

I plan on recharging my batteries this weekend (with a trip to Universal Studios) and come back next week with a fury. I need to regain my momentum that was taken away from me. I hope to have better progress to post next week.

Editing, Editing, Editing. I'm Strunk and Whited out. Argh.

I edited a lot of my short stories and decided that some of them are bunk. I'll be posting those on my web site due to the fact that I doubt they'll ever be published elsewhere.

I also wrote a story [b]Nightmare? Here Comes the Beast Again[b]. It was intended to be a little scary, but all in all it was silly. I'm going to edit it later and actually make it funny. One friend said it was 'cute' and I though NO! it's supposed to be scary. Argh! Oh well. It can always be a humorous, fright fest.

HEY! Where'd everybody go? No one has posted in a while. Did every one hit a writer's block at the same time?

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Technically, it's not fiction since most of it is true. I gained this information from interviews at a con... but it keeps me off the streets... and busy in the bars interviewing strangely dress people:
    10 Ways To Tell if your Star Trek Costume is Too Small

I tell ya sheepie, I worry about you more and more with each link you post.

I just visited your site. Congrats on the award! Albeit very late, but congrats. I wasn't aware that you wrote books for the younger set. Very interesting.

My latest foray into the writing world can be found at Alien Skin Mag this month. Please stop by and let me know what you think.

Blog Entries
    Writer's block.... errr... I call it avoiding doing anything. At the moment I am fine tuning it it will be a masterpiece of avoidance,once I am finished.

Seriously...

I am helping edit Juzzza's project.

Editing Map, but HE has blown his home computer up (I think this is his splatter the hard drive period or kiss the mother board goodbye... )

Still trying to edit Llafn Meistr... am one third of the way through and have lost all the steam in my boiler for this... It really needs another pair of eyes, but hell, no one is fool enough to read over 250,000 words. So I will keep plodding at it....

I have opened the file for Hat Man and closed it again... Since it failed to be short listed for the Lichfield Prize. I know I have to get it out there again. But I don't know what to do with the "floating chapter" This is a strange beastie. I was originally written as the last one. Then removed for submission. I feel it belongs in the book... but it could be both the last chapter or the first. I need to make a decision. I also have lost my chapter breakdown and synopsis for this sucker... it got lost during the transfer of stuff from my old machine to my new.

As for any newer projects, like Oracle.. those have died, or rather been shoved to the back of the cupboard like that hated piece of cross stitch the teacher wants you to finish over the summer holiday...

Real life in the form of work, builders and decorators in the house. Add to that generally can't be bothered and todding off to sit and watch a film is taking its toll on the writing...