Page 177 of 197 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 2954
    I r curious cuttlefish BlueAngel's Avatar
    PeteMC, I had no idea they were that long. I'd been looking for average lengths for novels in an attempt to have a goal in mind. Even if 70-90k is the average, I still have a half decent chunk done. Gotta keep going though, and my work's cut out for me.

I'm still amazed at just how many nuances end up in the work without me even having noticed it.

It's always good to have a goal!

Remember I said I'd seen 70-90k quoted as the minimum publishers seem to want, I don't think it's the average.

It depends on genre too - a Big Fat Fantasy like an installment of WOT or ASOIAF is something like 250k I think, whereas something like a Dresden Files is probably 80k-ish (guessing on that one).

I r curious cuttlefish BlueAngel's Avatar
    I think the average for scifi lies somewhere between 80k and 150k. I was looking it up last night, and it really does vary quite a bit. Still, it's good to have some numbers in mind so that you know where you stand.

Blog Entries
    Back from the honeymoon and now am a Mrs. Evans (though I think it will take at least a month to get through all that paperwork!)... Writing name stays the same because of course Tallen, Quest of the Demon aftermath is out Dec 1st!

Now hopefully I can get the ebook editing out for Smashwords because currently my publisher only does Amazon. The advantage of this - I'm on Amazon with my publisher and Tallen is out 3 days early! Quest of the Demon (book 1) has had a few sales so now for the never ending promotion trail... bloggers, reviews, library talks...

Hope all is well.

Welcome back and congratulations, Mrs. Evans!

This isn't about word-count progress, or completion progress, but a professional goal that I've finally attained. I made more money off my writing last month than I make at my day job. I never thought this would be possible (or at least, happen to me). It may never happen again, so I'm soaking up the feeling. It's crazy to see that one could, in theory at least, make a real living at this.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughhowey View Post
    I made more money off my writing last month than I make at my day job.
    WOOHOO!!!!!

That is wonderful. Take your partner out for a drink. I'll be drinking along with ya.

Blog Entries
    Yes congrats hughhowey! You've done something that a lot of people hear dream of. Well done (I found it exciting just to make money... it so far hasn't been a lot of money, but it's a start!)

Thanks, the both of you. I'm dying to see if this can last another month. I've become obsessive about checking my sales, Amazon rank, number of reviews, and things like that. I have to continuously remind myself to keep my nose over my keyboard and my fingers busy, to not gawk but to keep writing.

Busy and stressful week.
    -Got my first novel out this week on all the usual platforms (Actually got a sale in France today!).
    -Obviously did some marketing for the book as well.
    -Wrote another 8,000 words on the second book in the trilogy since Monday, bringing my total to about 77K.
    -Getting ready for the adoption of our second child (birthmother is due any day now).
    -Celebrating the 2nd birthday of our son today.

Back from my first cruise to the Caribbean. Uh, no, you really can't write for long on a cruise ship. Not gonna happen (grin). Anyways, returned to find that my last book in the Dancer series is now available in e-book, so some progress is better than a rum concoction in one hand and the best intentions in the other.

Kerry

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My book is clipping right along. I'm getting near the end and the progress always accelerates when I'm at this stage.

Blog Entries
    Tallen has been out for less than a month and I have a few good reviews. (and no one has trashed it yet!)

Royalty statement came - it's exciting when you actually achieve something you said you'd do when you were a kid... (now to work on being an astronaught or an adventerous whip cracking archeologist)

Elflings (book 3) is about half way through the the critters queue and book 5 (Deceiver) is getting closer to a complete first draft. Good times (now off to work back in the real world)

Blog Entries
    73,500 words - going to update spreadsheet now.

Blog Entries
    Finished the book...but it's too light for my tastes. I'll "fatten it up" during re-write but at the present time it came out to 76,500 words.