Page 101 of 197 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2953
    I haven't posted on this thread in awhile, but after a major rewrite to get me caught up, and ignoring another rewrite, I was finally able to move into a new chapter.

And I just finished that chapter.

Why am I excited? Cause it took me 5 days to write 2 lousy scenes and I finally got through them (and they're pretty decent for draft 1). So, I'm down to 3 chapters and an epilogue - about 60 scenes total. In a perfect world, that'd finish the book's initial draft in 2 months. In reality, probably a bit longer. But I finished another, and 60 scenes doesn't sound too bad, especially when you consider that I tend to add scenes in the outline that I realize I don't need when I write (of course, I also realize that I need more scenes as I write so it probably equals out, but let me live in my delusion for a bit longer).

Anyway, YEAH FOR ME!

wf

Im working on my first book ever, yay me! I think I got some good characters and I plan on finishing it around summer of next year

Auburn-furred Alien
    I'm trying to get back to writing. I've got several ideas in mind.

Hey, it's me (...who else would I be?)

I will appear in flashshots May 20th, http://www.gwthomas.org/flashshotindex.htm

This will be my second appearance. If anyone thinks writing a story in a hundred words or less, feel free to try it. Anyway, it's free, I hope you all read and enjoy it.

Also, I'm still sending querys to agents, and waiting to hear from them concerning Escapade and Goodbye. I'm also finishing the latest, and I hope last, anxiety-driven edit of the work. I have it up to 81K. --so what is this "patience" stuff and where am I supposed to get it?

Thekherham--ideas are good, getting them on paper is better. Enjoy yourself.

WillLavens--That sound's exciting. How do you know when you'll finish? I'm terrible at that kind of planning.

warfitz45--Progress is a wonderful thing. Keep plugging.
    Last edited by MrBF1V3; May 19th, 2008 at 01:03 AM.

Rowan of the Wood Update

So -- the galleys are going out this week to the major reviewers. We're still set for the August 2nd Release Party at BookPeople here in Austin.

I'm starting on the promotion schedule for this fall, and we're going to be busy! After the BookPeople release, the following weekend we'll be at the World Fantasy Convention as part of their "Rising Star" Program. The next week is ArmadilloCon here in Austin, and it just keeps going from there with a mixture of fantasy conventions, book signings, and celtic/renaissance faires.

Dalton Publishing (our publisher) has put up an excerpt for those who are interested.

We would love some early reviews from fantasy fans/reviewers. So please let me know if you are (or know someone who is) a reviewer, and I can send you the PDF.

You can sign up for monthly newsletters that will keep you informed of schedules and such. They also include short stories and poetry for your enjoyment. Official site: www.rowanofthewood.com & author page: www.christineandethanrose.com

Release the Magic!

Hi. I am an experienced writer and I have done everything from Copywriting to Press Releases to keyword articles. I am trying to strike out on my own rather than being the middle man. Does anyone have any good ideas where I would go to advertise myself and my business?

I have a ton of experience writing real estate articles and also doing market reports. If anyone has any ideas can you shoot me an email or PM or even a post, lol.

Thanks so much.

My website is fresh-web-content.com... that could give you an idea on what I do.

It's been slow going but I have finally introduced some major players in my story, those being Sandman and the twins, finally moving the plot forward to where the real action can begin. And with none of my crazy deviations into utter nonsense.

The only problem is that I have my beginning done, my ending all planned out and a good feel for all of the major characters and all that what, where, hows and whys -- but the middle is a big empty space in my head. Always the middle, it's like my kryptonite. ;_; How to get from point A to point C. I have scenes planned out but with no idea how to connect them into a coherent flow...darn the Middle.

I just sent the first part of my fantasy novel to an online critique group which I joined a few weeks back. I've had feedback from one person so far (which is very dissapointing---I'd been hoping for at least 3 or 4 critiques) but I am hoping that perhaps the delay is due to the fact that my work stands at 19,000 words long. A lot for someone to read quickly. Maybe I'll hear from more people yet.

That being said, the comments I have gotten from this one person have been incredibally helpful. Picked out a few plot inconsistancies and overal problems that I hadn't noticed during my innumerable readthroughs. And they liked it, which was really great to hear.

I've been trying to write part two of my story for over a year now, and just keep hitting dead ends. I'll write the first 2 or 3 chapters, then it'll all come to a crashing halt and no matter what I try, I'm just stuck. I've tried skipping part two and writing something from much later in the story, but I'm the sort of writer that just *cannot* plan (not to any great depth, anyways) and though (once again) I've managed to write 2 or 3 chapters, things inevitably suffer the same fate and come crashing to a halt once again.

So, although I'd been content to leave my part one as being a "satisfactory draft copy", I figured that all these dead ends have managed to "throw me out of the story" and I'm really struggling to get back into my character's heads and achieve the same tone of writing as I once had. Therefore, I decided to find somewhere that would critique my work and give me something with which to work on so that I can (hopefully) improve on part one and also get me back into things again so that I can finally write part two as well.

"Love At First Fight", a tale of a burly magic-hating female bodyguard forced to team up with a mage, is up at Blazing Adventures Magazine: http://blazingadventuresmagazine.com...lly%20Wong.pdf

Blog Entries
    Back in the beginning of January I sent a snail mail submission to A.M Heath (a top UK agent). Not having heard from them, and their turn round time stated as being 4 weeks I thought it had gotten lost or been binned.

But it seems I got through the "assistants" lol, as I just had a lovely personalised rejection from one of their top agents, oh well lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
    But it seems I got through the "assistants" lol, as I just had a lovely personalised rejection from one of their top agents, oh well lol.....
    Er... Yay? (What's the appropriate response to a nice, unexpected rejection?)

What did you send them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
    Er... Yay? (What's the appropriate response to a nice, unexpected rejection?)

What did you send them?
    Hand of Glory....

Just spent two days working on a revised version of my novel's first chapter, only to be told by my proof reader that he much prefers the original version. After a lengthy amount of analyzing and discussing "what was wrong" with the new version, I'm very much inclined to agree that he is absuloubtly right.

So it's back to hitting my head against the keyboard---uh, I mean re-writing once again. Most of the time, I love re-writing. But getting the start of my story just right is proving to be hard work. Trying to capture the mystical element of the setting whilst also keeping the reader from getting lost and confused... is proving something of a challange.
    Last edited by BrightStar; May 30th, 2008 at 11:47 AM.

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    After a break of several months, I've started writing again. My last project fizzled out at around 30k words as it just wasn't working. It's taken me a long time to figure out exactly what I wanted to write. Now I've got a solid plot outline and I'm raring to go again. The plot itself is kind of a hybrid of my previous project, so mostly it's familiar ground. Sometimes it just takes a while for things to come together. After letting these ideas ferment in my brain for a while, I'm ready to start.

So far, I've hit my 500 words-a-day target. 1000 words down, about 149,000 to go. W00t.

Good for you, James. Doesn't it feel good to even know a paragraph of new words has been achieved?

I rashly aim at 2,000 fresh words per day but rarely achieve it. Most of my time is spent editing other people's work, but at least I get paid for that. My own writing barely pays for new bits on my bike!

Geoff