Page 103 of 197 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2947
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by juzzza View Post
    Just banked my first royalty cheque (check for my US buddies).

Alas, I won't be strutting into work tomorrow to retire, but it's a buzz all the same!

Way to go Juzzza!

I find it both interesting and motivating to read about others' writing here, so I'll make a post too.

When I was much younger I wanted to be a writer when I "grew up". I went through three type-writers before the age of ten, all short stories, but often trying to "re-write" pages of novels in my own style. Happy memories.

My parents bought me a computer for my 10th birthday, thinking it was like a glorified typewriter I suppose, and I started to learn computer programming - and subsequently stopped writing.

By my teenage years, I wanted to write computer games. Despite my best subjects at school being English, my only A* grades..I went to college and did maths and physics. Here I am, 10 years later, programming for a living..not writing..

However, I wrote some short stories a couple of years back and enjoyed it. Then drifted into the world of coding again. Now I am getting a little tired with the logic and banality of programming, and am writing again...and I am loving it! It's like coming home after a long journey abroad, it feels so familiar, and creative.

I have written some short stories, and am now trying my hand at my first novella length tale. I am consistently writing 500-1500 words a day, seven days a week, not concentrating on getting things exact, just trying to get the words down and the first draft done.

That's all, I will not bore you with any more detail just yet. =)

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza View Post
    Just banked my first royalty cheque (check for my US buddies).

Alas, I won't be strutting into work tomorrow to retire, but it's a buzz all the same!

Congrats. Now you can introduce yourself as a professional. Promise you'll remember all of us little people.

Neyska, it sounds like you've been busy. Getting meaningful feedback is really important, but you can sometimes find it here. Make yourself at home.

That's all, I will not bore you with any more detail just yet. =)
    --- was that a teaser?

B5

Currently, I'm working on revising my novel's first draft of part one. Progress is slow. I've realized my biggest failing whilst I'm trying to revise my first draft is actually in sucumbing to the temptation to rewrite the thing. Problem being: people *like* what I've shown them, and the problems they've pointed out don't need a rewrite to fix.

But, I'm so used to reading the same words, again and again, that I've been falling into the trap of trying to make things "more interesting", and consequently, doing the opposite by overwhelming the reader with too much all at once. This is a terrible bad habbit of mine, and one that I wish I could learn to control.

Quote Originally Posted by spiralguru3d View Post
    However, I wrote some short stories a couple of years back and enjoyed it. Then drifted into the world of coding again. Now I am getting a little tired with the logic and banality of programming, and am writing again...and I am loving it! It's like coming home after a long journey abroad, it feels so familiar, and creative.
    Something I'm beginning to wonder whether there's a pattern in: people who have experience with computer programming often have a tendancy to try writing at some point. I, personally, don't think that there's that much difference between writing computer code, and writing a story. Stories, are, afterall, a sequence of events which eventually reach an outcome based upon the solution chosen (just like programming). And again, just like programming, stories generally have to be logical. Magic, worldbuilding, plot, all of it has to be logical in order for it to be believable.

When I'm not writing, I'm often programming. Personally, I've always found it interesting how alike the two are in certain ways.

New story out

"Royal Pain", a fun little romp about a reckless princess turning a serious wound to her advantage, is now up at http://members.cavtel.net/msouth847/royal.html Enjoy!

Great story glutton. Congrats.

B5

I got another agent rejection. Time to break out the Ben & Jerry's, at least for a day or two.

Otherwise, I've been doing more editing than writing over the last few days. I have to do it sometimes, and it's what I'm in the mood to do.

More later, I hope.

B5

Mainly trying to sort out the miss-mash of ideas atm. I had written 14,000 words (or there abouts I forget) of a previous attempt. However, due to being highly critical of my own work, and it actually being rubbish I abandoned it.

I'm now about halfway through chapter #1 of *insert really cool name for a epic(ish) fantasy book* and hoping to write that slowly over the next decade if i'm lucky

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Nothing to do with writing, but I am VERY excited to be opening for

In August...

If you've never heard of him, check out his site - to see him live is a spectacle, he plays didgeridoo, guitar and percussion at the same time!

I had a really productive day last Friday, which was encouraging. Didn't really feel like doing any "new" writing, but I've mostly been working on editing my first draft anyways. So I decided to work on the minor nit-picks for a change (they've mostly been set aside up until now because I have "so many other more important things to fix").

Managed to shorten part one by an entire chapter (equates to about three pages of writing). It doesn't sound like a lot, but I think that the cut is a vast improvement. I need to change a few details in other scenes to make allowances for things I've cut out, but overall what's been removed hasn't had any effect on much at all. Possibly a sign that it did, indeed, need removing.

Here's Worthwhile Sacrifice, a new story in which a loyal daughter tries to stop a swordsman's revenge against her father. Enjoy!
    http://goldenvisionsmagazine.biz/July08-more.html

my attention was caught by spiralguru3d ' s post about programing and writing.

Since i was (am and will be) a programer deep within, although i am doing very little programing these days, i think you have something wrong with your thinking. Let me elaborate:

First writing code and writing a story have very similar points. For example: you can write both very fast, but none will be any good. Both need some thinking and planing before you write. Otherwise you will end with a core dump en either case.

Second. Watch out for the word count. A story, just like code, isn't about lenght. If it is too long it looses it's point. If it is too short you may be the only one to understand it. You must find the lenght where it is efficient and it is clear for everyone to understand.

and last, keep in mind that, like most things in life, you get a better result and take less effort by doing it right once and not wrong twice.

I have written a book that i thought was complete and finished until I was very quickly reminded that my 60K words were too few for a novel. So i am reviewing/correcting/rewriting my novel. If you like you can take a peak in the stories section under Federico Patané. My novel is called Tantelar. or just follow the link:

http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/3043p0.html

Unfortunately these days i don't have enought time to dedicate to my novel so it may take a while to see what comes out of second version. If anyone is interested in reading the whole thing just PM me and i'll send it over.

Hello and about coding

Hello all, I am new (aarrggh, I hate saying...typing?...no, saying that). I have been writing for ten years and am currently trying to complete my first novel. It's about warlocks in space who use math to hunt demons.

Interesting side note on the coding/writing connection. Ireland has long been considered one of the most literate nations in the world, but until the 1980s was so poor that it was almost a third world country. They are now doing quite well as one of the largest producers of software in the world. Hmmm?

Hi, titangnome: I must say that the idea of warlocks in space who use math to hunt demons certainly sounds original.

My story is about Gods and angels, but it's not set in our world or based around any of our own religions. It's an entirely new creation story, set on a fantasy world. My main character just happens to be a fallen angel. The "twist" (if you want to consider it such) is that the angel did not choose to fall. God betrayed him and cast him from paradise. The plot is about his search for answers.

But, I haven't done anything at all with my writing for a week or so now. After having quite a productive day, I had a few busy days and just haven't found the time or the motivation since then to return back and do more work.
    Last edited by BrightStar; July 1st, 2008 at 06:10 AM.

Angels and Gods

You might want to check out "To Reign in Hell" I think it was by Brust; you might like it. That's a great idea that you can do a lot with.