Page 11 of 197 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Aged Literary Seagull
    I'd love to be like Michael Crichton, and get oodles of cash for a book I've barely started(anyone remember the whopping millions he got for giving movie rights to the movie 'Airframe'?-apparently he wasn't even halfway done when he sold the rights, and they STILL haven't made the movie Talk about laughing all the way to the bank) I think ditto could go for J.K Rowling

Blog Entries
    The Hat Man re-submitted, took me all weekend to redo the synopsis, chapterbreakdown(well, add the new last chapter) format it for this publisher and prepare the supporting information attachment as they call it. Not got my hopes up... See how we go.

Short story "Jac" re-submitted to an anthology, got a feeling about this, might at last got the right market for it.

"All things seen" is still on an editor's desk so need to drop them an email.

I am half way through printing out my submission of "Llafn Meistr" but my printer died.(only 12 months old, took it back to the shop and they are puzzled about it, shouldn't happen ha!) Is this a sign?

Anyway got to finish Llafn Meistr edit... the first three chapters are clean and have been grammar proofed by a mate, just need to get the rest done...

Chapter breakdown to finish on another project and more editing on another... with luck maybe some forum writing sometime this week if the Gods allow....

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Never mind that! How's the hamster?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Sheep
    Never mind that! How's the hamster?

Still alive, I think.... I untrapped it (goes into the other room to check) Yep, just taken a few sunflower seeds off my hand....

Blog Entries
    Got my submission for Llafn Meistr done... off to agent tomorrow.

Heard back from pubisher about Hat Man... being looked at, will let me know within 90 days IF and it is a big if, it goes any further. Making noises about it being read and pondered over. Least I seem to get off the slush pile pretty quick these days...

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Actually written something new!!!

'The medium is the message' is inspired by actual events.

I will get my test readers to give it the once over and then submit to magazines for publication.

I am also following up on a lead from last year, a story was actually accepted then I hear no more.

Sent off my very first short story for publication, not sure if market is right. Its a horror story about a boy who has very realistic dreams about a demon. Waiting for the bad news before starting on my next one.

Aged Literary Seagull
    Just wanted to update that I finally got "Frequencies" off the ground, and would love to have some opinions on it. It's the first story I've posted on this site, so go easy on me Although it's published in a first write type of phase(I usually rewrite and rewrite 2 or 3 times) But I would love to get some idea of what the thoughts of the story itself are.

I read your story "Frequencies" (although a bit quickly, it's getting late here). I liked the writing style, but death and afterlife are not topics I like too much, so I don't think I would be qualified to comment on the story. (I'm not qualified to comment on the writing style either, but oh well.) I would appreciate if you would comment on my story "Maxwell's Adventure" (which is my first story ever, so don't be too hard on it .

Aged Literary Seagull
    Great beginning of the story there, mieckowski I always like a plot device that spurs curiousity(the fair), but even small stuff like mentioning the "bet"without going into details-Max must have a heckuva lost bet to make up for.

For your first story I really enjoyed it(Forgot to put comments on the story)and I'm intrigued, wondering what's going to happen at the fair. Looking forward to the next part!

Blog Entries
    Dropped an email to the magazine that has "All things seen" This is, I think, my favourite short story...... It is the one folks seem to like as well...

Just need to get it placed somewhere...

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    My first stab at spec fiction will be PUBLISHED in issue 5 of HERE & NOW MAGAZINE!!!

'Choices' is about a guy who wakes up to find his girlfriend (looking a bit older) standing over him, ranting and waving around a kitchen knife... He turns over as he senses someone beside him in bed... And there is his still sleeping (younger) girlfriend.

I am very pleased, I thought I was going mad, I was sure it had been accepted for publication a while ago.

Also sent off my most recent short 'The medium is the message' to 'The Third Alternative', one of the best mags for quality and content imho, check it out www.ttapress.com

Also edited the first four chapters of my novel-length project 'Distant breeze, falling hair' and am raring to go on writing it to Novella length, then full-novel length. I have a revelation that can take the story and end it at novella length (25,000 ish) and then if I want to 'save the girl' I can take it to novel length (75,000 - 100,000). Does that make sense? Anyway, I have a quality control person reading the 4 chapters to make sure I don't lose them, I head hop intentionally during certain segments as it's important I reckon to the pacing, but if it doesn't work i will try something else. Fun ain't it.

Nice to have a publish credit in 2004 and with new work.

Blog Entries
    Juzzza; Congrats!!

All Things Seen is actually waiting on the senior editor's yes or no...... Hmmmmmmmm... hope....

As to other work/work in porgress...

Hat Man is "being dealt with" by a small but up and coming publisher, they have informed me, that they shall inform me in the next 90 days...

Llafn Meistr, the first three chapters and snyopsis/chapter breakdown is with a British agent.

I have to finish polishing Llafn Meistr, edit more of Map and finish the chapter breakdown of LRI.

No new work written for a couple of months save for the half attempt stories on the community, which are really not that polished....

I am trying to focus on getting the "editing" done... Need that clean sheet I feel, also the health is not good at the moment so "creating" is the last thing on my mind.

Aged Literary Seagull
    Congrats Juzzza!

While I'll be getting mine ready for submission, I have to congrat someone else on it Anyadvice for a newbie like me who's never submitted before?

I'll be looking forward to the magazine, congrats again!

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Run away! I'm not joking... that's the best advice you'll ever get.

But since even I don't take my advice... get at least five people who read and write in the genre to give you feedback on the story. If you don't know five people, join an online crit group... critters, otherworlds, onlinewriting, etc. Send it when you're sure it's the best it can be.

Make a list of the best publisher or magazine that publishes your style down to the least best (read in and know your market) and then decide how long you will wait between submissions (you won't always get a reply and it is unrealistic to wait months for a reply).

Then, if the process is too daunting/demeaning/frustrating... run away!