Page 127 of 193 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137177 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2887
    My latest story is up at Short-Story.Me! It's a sad tale about a warrior who takes his sister (the brutal and adorable Rhona the Wild Axe featured in past stories) home after a war, only to his life devastatingly changed forever. Don't worry though, Rhona still provides some lighthearted and kickass entertainment! Enjoy:

http://www.short-story.me/fantasy-st...reams-die.html

Just a quick update - two more of my stories are now available, making #29 and 30 respectively. The first, Dedication, is a Norse-inspired, flash-length dark fantasy you can read or hear; the second, One Big Drinker, a tale of wuxia style heroes taking on a giant tentacled beast featured in... you guessed it, The Book of Tentacles anthology! Here are the links, enjoy!

http://hypersonictales.com/hypersoni...lab=dedication

http://tentaclepower.com/

The story Iím currently working on is called Come aboard the Vagabond. Itís a Science-Fantasy with a light, slightly comedic tone. It is about the journeys and adventures of the crew of the pirate spaceship Vagabond. Said crew being composed of deserters, misfits, criminals, hippies, outcasts, rednecks, oddballs and hooligans.

In a nut shell, the story is about their fight against the totalitarian government of the Intergalactic Federation. Thought bringing down the Federation is not their goal, itís inevitable that they fight with them since they are pirates and most of them are deserters of the Federation Forces. The Vagabond itself, a prototype high-end pocket Dreadnaught, is the result of a top secret (and latter declared illegal) project of the Weapons Development Department.

Itís very much inspired by anime, the main ones being : Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Gurren Laggan, Gundam, Macross and Captain Harlock.

There are several elements taken from fantasy, like magic, and most of the races that populate the galaxies are typical fantasy races. (elves, gnolls, goblins, orcs, etc.).

Itís my first story, and Iím not very far in the writing. It would surprise me if it got published other than on FictionPress.

I finished the first draft of my trilogy on Saturday night. Now all I need to do is edit all three books...so yah...writing them all at once doesn't seem like such a good idea as I once thought it was. (Total of the three is 700K words...which makes a rather intimdating pile of unedited story.)

Whatever...I'm just thrilled that I'm living my dream. A year ago I was so convinced I'd never finish it that I couldn't bring myself to start - even though my ideas were slowly consuming me. Now it's out, and it only took 11 months. Regardless of whether I can convince someone to give it a chance I can go to my grave knowing that I did it.

Bonus - my wife didn't leave me either whilst I wrote...I owe her big time for putting up with me. No wonder most first time authors thank their wife in the dedication...not doing so would probably be grounds for divorce.

Dude - you just inspired me! Congrats. I finally took the plunge myself to get going on those same consuming ideas and got a chapter out and now cant leave it alone. I need to do what you did - big editing job or no.

Go for it Daddy Darth. You've started at least so your over the first obstacle...my one piece of advice would be now that you've started don't ever let yourself stop. I was tempted many, many times to quit when it felt I was spewing worthless drivel but I pushed through...my insecuriteis were the biggest and most constant obstacle I had to overcome. (My wife also helped...she read it as I wrote and her positive feedback helped a lot.) This was something like my 10th attempt of my life to write and the first in over a decade so needless to say I'm rather thrilled to at last have reached those magic words "the end."

I actually really, really love my story. I wept through the last hour or so as I wrote the last part...I wanted to continue on even though the story was most certainly done...for now. I'm very proud of how well it come out and really hope that I can get it published.

Thats cool man - go for it. My wife is one part cheer leader one part reality check. She makes me better. Good luck with the editing. One page at a time eh!

Oh my Stars and Garters! Black.Rose.Sin's Avatar

Unhappy

I am currently juggling three different novels. One, I've been writing for at least a year and a half. The other, I started months after the first. And the last, just a baby, was going to be my NaNoWriMo entry, before I realized that I didn't have enough time to write it.

So, my dilemma: enter, the horrific Writer's Block. It has attacked my Muse and I quite mercilessly, and my poor stories have unfortunately taken the full blunt of it.

For my first story, I'm on one of those slow moments where anything can happen, but I'm too lazy to try and sort it out.

Story number two is going through the same thing, only I don't know what will happen next.

Story number three, my dear special case, is going swimmingly, only I haven't been around to actually writing it.

And so, I'm stuck, trying to figure out which story needs my attention the most: Story number one, two, or three? *grips head* Why are they making me choose? Damn you, Muse. *shakes fist in the air*

-Rant FIN-

girl searching for magic
    Well, now I actually have time to write, I am getting back into it with a vengance! Or at least, I plan to haha. Today's my first real day of freedom and so of course my first day to cram as much writing into 24 hours as possible... Oh the joy! It's been way way too long.

Am working on two pieces, with no idea where either are going to lead. One is on the computer, the other in my writing book. I find it refreshing changing from computer to hand-writing. I finds there's benefits to both, and this way no matter what I don't have an excuse for not writing!

Hopefully I actually finish both, rather than move on to some other story as I always do. It is a little annoying at times, this inability to finish work. And I mean to try and break the habit. Then I can edit, and actually bear someone to look at my work!

Anyway, I have stories to write, and am impatient to be writing them. Good luck everyone!

And good luck Black.Rose.Sin. I hope you get over your block and soon. Have you tried writing with music, and let the music influence your writing? I find if I am stuck with writer's block that sometimes letting the emotions in the music take over is really beneficial in getting me writing again. Just a thought, and hope its helpful in some way.

My third SF novel just got released by my publisher. That's worth a quick crow (grin).

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by kmtolan View Post
    My third SF novel just got released by my publisher. That's worth a quick crow (grin).

Kerry
    Hey congrats!!

Congratulations Kerry!
    So, is the third time as exciting as the first ?

What does "That's worth a quick crow" mean?

Speaks fluent Bawehrf zachariah's Avatar
    It's english rhyming slang for money - like a monkey or a pony. A crow is an unspecified small amount less than ten pounds, such as one might spend on a paperback book.

None of the above is true. But it ought to be.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Congratulations Kerry!
    So, is the third time as exciting as the first ?

What does "That's worth a quick crow" mean?
    I think "to crow" about something, is to boast of it.

Edit: Although zachariah's answer was extremely close.

–verb (used without object)
    1. to utter the characteristic cry of a rooster.
    2. to gloat, boast, or exult (often fol. by over).
    3. to utter an inarticulate cry of pleasure, as an infant does.

Oh! I thought it was an idiom.
    Thanks Zach and Pete.