Page 13 of 197 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by juzzza
    Notice how I smoothly, ignore Holbrook's question
    As expected. lol check your PM's that list I promised.

I played live on BBC Radio recently and also in our local TV Studio, the Radio session is at my Website along with an interview and the TV session will be available soon.

Also, a film maker based in the States, is using one of my songs in his latest project's soundtrack, which is great news.
    Awesome! I'm happy things are going so well for you. I'll keep you in mind for soundtracks when (and if) I make a film. The closest thing I have right now is a concept for a series of web animations. The characters are designed and ready, the first two scripts are written, I know the software, I even have the website thoroughly planned out. All I need is oodles of free time.

But right now, I'm doing a messy hack & slash job on my novel, hoping to have it glistening and ready in time for the World Fantasy Convention this October. I figure even if it's not ready, the old/current version is decent, even polished. It just needs pacing improvement. I keep running into unforseen problems with that--so the rest of my work is suffering. I know the common cure is to take time off from the novel and work on other stuff . . . and I'm sorely tempted to do that . . . but that won't work with this project. I've already taken months and even years off. I still feel too close to it. Now I just want to get it finished and ready, and never touch it again unless it's slated to be published.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Ooh the roller coaster ride that is Andromeda Spaceways:

It seems as well as the blog, they still send you emails to keep you up to date, now that is service!!!

'Just a note to let you know that your submission has passed its initial
    reading, and we are now considering it for inclusion in the Andromeda
    Spaceways Inflight Magazine.'
    Last edited by juzzza; September 30th, 2004 at 05:14 AM.

I was going to post the cover of my second novel, Stands the Archer. But I can't seen to get it to come through. I'll try it again later.
    Last edited by user123; October 1st, 2004 at 05:28 AM.

It seems I'm not the only one who's doing pretty well at the moment...

I have been in discussions with a publisher regarding a non-fiction work I've been putting together for some time. It will be some time before it resembles anything booklike but they want it regardless.

Best get writing!

Aged Literary Seagull
    I've just posted "Isis Maxis, Investie not for Hire" in the community. I've gotten a lot of good feedback elsewhere about the story, and I posted part one up here just to get an idea of what some people here might think before I actually go and submit it. Love to hear some thoughts. The first part isn't long as far as reading, and there's a lot more of the story to go that I haven't posted, but would just like some first impressions

Blog Entries
    Submission update;

Short story "Jac" submitted to a horror anthology on the 10th September... closing date for submissions is 31st December. Have received notification that I will receive a yes or no, within a week after that.

Novel "The Hat Man" full manuscript in the hands of a small US publisher... first email dated 13th Sept, very encouraging... gave me a time scale of 90 days in which they will let me know their decision.

Novel "Llafn Meistr"

First three chapters sent to UK agent a month ago... Reply recieved this morning.

"Nicely written- but so full with fantasy I could not squeeze this in as not different enough to the rest."

Ok admit the beginning is "not that different" but it builds, least I think so... anyway not a bad reply... least they think I can write...

A very full synopsis and first 100 pages has been sent to a US agent, who has shown interest in my work before... Hope they request the full manuscript. Until I hear otherwise, its not going any where else...

Submitting "All Things Seen" to Andromeda Spaceways later today... this has been edited recently and made tighter... we shall see...

Fingers crossed for you Jacquin.....
    Last edited by Holbrook; October 2nd, 2004 at 04:19 AM.

Aged Literary Seagull
    I'm going to ATTEMPT to publish my first short story "Frequencies" with Storyteller Magazine. Yeah it's not a huge distribution, and they only pay like 1/2 cent a word, but for me right now I think just getting published as something to put on a resume would be great-one has to start somewhere, and that's more important than trying to get the best "deal". That's how I see it, anyone have any advice(already gotten some from Rocketsheep, thank you very much for it, I'll keep it in mind! If you have more I'd love to hear it!)

Still in round 2 of the slush process with Andromeda Spaceways, as sheepy said, quick to reject but take ages to accept.

In round two of the slush process, their software sends your story to three readers, who score the story between 1 and 5, 1 being excellent, 5 being poor. After it has received three reviews (including comments) the story is either pushed through to round 3 (you are emailed a 'hold' request whilst it is considered by editors) or you get a rejection email with the comments from the 3 reviews. I still think this is wicked and go ASIM for trying to make the mag 'writer friendly' as they say

BTW Holbrook, they also state that only the top 10% of submitted stories make it to a 'hold' request, so that should take the sting out of the final rejection for ATS (if it was ATS that made it to the 3 month 'hold' you mentioned?). Way to go Sheepie for being in the top 2% of acceptances!!!

I still have a story with TTA Press for consideration, I am overdue a response now and I sent one (a short story)today to Midnight Street.
    Last edited by juzzza; October 18th, 2004 at 10:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    BTW Holbrook, they also state that only the top 10% of submitted stories make it to a 'hold' request, so that should take the sting out of the final rejection for ATS (if it was ATS that made it to the 3 month 'hold' you mentioned?). Way to go Sheepie for being in the top 2% of acceptances!!!
    Yep it was ATS that made it and Arrows as well..... ATS holds my record for being held by upto five mags for "consideration" lol....

One of my poems has been accepted for a forthcoming anthology, also have finished the article for Medieval History Magazine. Is it my imagination or do these things seem to come in waves?

Aged Literary Seagull
    I just wanted to mention to the Canadian writers on this board that believe it or not there are Govt programs to help out emerging and established writers in Canada as far as grants, ect. (I just discovered this myself, quite by accident) so whatever your progress is, there is help(you wont be able to retire on it, but every little bit helps! )

Right now I am gathering ideas for Chapter 2 in ' Untitled '.

This morning I finished touching up chapter 1 for now and printed it so I wont lose the idea.

Got the dreaded sorry email from ASIM...

But the system works, got plenty of comments, nothing too surprising to be fair. I submitted my flash piece from the 700 words thread, one reader didn't like the preachy ending, two wanted some closure and a fourth reader (I thought only three got to see each story in round 2) didn't think it had enough SF or F elements, which is true enough...

The cool thing, is that I get to submit something else to the system!!! It's like a free professional feedback service, send in your story, get some useful pointers from pros, and if you are as good as sheepie... You actually get a publish credit too!!!

Onward!!!

Blog Entries
    Jacquin; well done! keep going

Juzzza, sorry to hear you had the sorry but email The comments are good, I have found on the most part, gives you an idea what they are looking for..... But one on my last "arrows", they sort of half questioned my historical detail (The story was linked to Agincourt) As I had my personal History Nazi (Jacquin ) go over it I was a bit put out! lol....