Page 16 of 197 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby
    WHOOOAAAAAA!!!!!!
    Congratulations, Holbrook! Keep up posted if your get taken on as a client.

Thanks Abby, never had "very promising" and "definitely want to see" on a letter before. Just got to alter a point/theme they picked up in the first 100 words. Could all fade away, but it is another step up, least they are looking at it and I am grateful and pleased that I got it this far.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Wow H, this is amazing stuff... Very promising.

Is the agent Welsh?

Come on HOLBROOK, do it for the TEAM!!!

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Good luck Holbrook!

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Synopsis and first 5 chapters of novel off to publisher claiming 8-10 week response time. Long time to cross fingers and toes.

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar

Talking

Dang. Hol and HE publish their own book together and look what happens. It only takes time for greatness to rise to the top. You both are worthy of all you gain from your endeavors.

Ok, enough sap. Hot Dang you two! That is too awesome! I'm green with envy

Blog Entries
    Thanks folks, whole manuscript goes to day... I am shattered!

HE, fingers crossed for you. The publisher won't know what hit them

I will be gone myself tomorrow, having a short break at an expensive hotel, no computers, no writing..... At my advanced age I need this.... lol.. When I get back the manuscript will be in the hands of the agent (as long as some postman does not decide to lose it!) Then the waiting begins... how long before an answer I haven't got a clue, still one step further than I have got before....

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Uncross your fingers and toes, they will get atrophied waiting for the determination of success. From 6-8 weeks to:

"Apologies for the form letter--the only saving grace is that it's better
    than nothing.
    Your submission has been logged into my reading queue. Please be advised
    I am running behind schedule so it will likely be 5-6 months before I
    can respond, and that I am presently reading for publication in 2008.
    Sincerely,"

I appreciate the immediate feedback from the editor. Much better than waiting for 2 months, hearing nothing, then being unable to get any word on what' is hapenning.

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    I've been busy again. I also decided to do an annual word count check to see where I'm at. Here's my most recent progress report

1) Still waiting for responses on 20+ stories.
    2) Finished writing Me, Myself, and I...and I...and I (actually finished that last week and got it rejected fairly quickly from ASIM), Galactic Twilight, and Cloak and Dagger (not a spy story, just a story about a cloak and a dagger).
    3) Got a really good start on A Life of Lists (a murder mystery), and Rental Property (a horror story that's flopping about miserably).
    4) Got a few chapters into a new novel and polished up the few chapters of A Boy and His Dragon before realizing that they suck and decided to put that one aside for the time being.

My writing tonality has changed as of late. It's hard to explain. My humorous stories are subtly more funny, my serious stories are more intense. I don't know what it is. I can't explain it. It's a very strange feeling. Has anyone else gone through this? A point where your writing suddenly and drastically takes shape on its own and you find yourself not worrying about the story telling but worrying if you're overdoing it? I'm starting to second guess myself I think because my style suddenly changed and I'm not 100% sure if it's for the better or not.

If you need something to read, PM me and I'll send you one of my latest stories and you can help me decide. Of course I'll read one for one. That's only fair.

J.R.

This isn't really on topic, but the other day I was contacted by a publisher, Not my usual publisher. How they got my address I have no idea, but they have asked me to submit a story. My question is, Is this a usual thing with publishing companies? And did they know where to find me?

Maus99:
    If you are starting to second guess yourself, maybe you should put whatever you are working on aside for now. Try writing something completely different from what you have been doing and see if the changes in you writing are still there. It could simply be that you have become comfortable, more relaxed with setting your ideas to paper.

User123, what publisher was this? I'd be suspicious. Even if they have no evil intent, they may not be willing to pay you or give your story good circulation.

Maus99, in answer to your question, my writing style has never drastically changed over a short period of time . . . but then, I've never written as many stories as you have in a short period of time. Your keyboard is smoking!

Blog Entries
    Wow. It sounds like a few folks here deserve congrats. I haven't been on the board for a week or so because I was finishing the draft of my WIP. It's now officially a WIR, which is the first time I've reached that state. Next month, after I proof the ms and add a few things, I'll be sending it to my collaborator for revision.

Yippy Yippy Yay Yay Yay!

I'm happy because a literary agent requested my manuscript.
    This is a first for me--the first time an agent will read my novel, and the first time that my novel is being considered "fairly", meaning that it will be judged on its own merits rather than by my poor social skills, shaky query letter, and lack of sales-pitch ability.

This is BY FAR the furthest I've ever been toward getting a novel published. I'll hear her response in a month or so. I don't want to get my hopes too high, but I consider this request in itself to be a major accomplishment.

Blog Entries
    Superb Abby! Fingers crossed for you!!!

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    It is a major accomplishment indeed Abby!!!

WELL DONE

Now we have Holbrook and Abby so close they can tast it

re:

Beginning my first novel in the next few months. Currently writing a few shorts to be published in a prozine. The most current is a fantasy story about a King who gets alzeheimers and the results that follow. This is a revival of sorts for me seeing that I haven't written a word of fiction in the past five years.

Nisim