Page 176 of 198 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 2965
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBF1V3 View Post
    As some of you know I'm epublished, but accd. to contract I'm supposed to get some kind of royalty in the Sept/Oct time frame. --nothing. No answer to my emails.B5
    Also, remember that each layer of your author-publisher-distributor stream has its own schedule. Let's say a book was sold through Sony, and let's say Sony reports to Smashwords every two months, but actually pays Smashwords thirty days after that; then Smashwords reports every quarter, but pays thirty days after that. Then your e-publisher (unless you're self published) is reporting all third party sales back to you twice a year, and probably paying thirty days after that.

It's quite possible for the delays to mount, one atop the other, and to keep your money from you for up to a year. More layers mean more delays, so this is a case where self-published authors have an advantage over those with a publishing contract. The other advantage that self published e-book authors have is that every additional layer will keep some of the revenue. They must, or they wouldn't survive.

(This might be the moment when it's time to ask: Is your e-publisher actually doing anything for you? Both Smashwords and Amazon are so easy to work with directly, and they are the true publishers. So is there a reason to put a payment-hungry publisher between you and your money? The answer is yes only if the publisher truly earns its keep via aggressive marketing. And remember, if they go bankrupt while holding your royalties, you're SOL.)

--WB

post removed by contributor...
    Last edited by nealdooley; March 18th, 2012 at 08:28 AM.

My co-author and I are two chapters in to the sequel of our 1st novel. And Iím 4,000 words into the 1st novel of the epic fantasy Iíve been world-building for years. Strange to finally begin writing it. Except Iím not really beginning it, since one of the ďthreadsĒ of my first, and horrific, attempt at a novel works great for this one. Iíll have to re-write it, but at least I basically have the outline of that thread done.

Now to the bizarre.

Was Googling my book and had a surreal Goosebumpy experience: found out it was a Kirkus ďCriticís Pick.Ē (I guess they donít notify you.) in Science Fiction and Fantasy. Itís listed up there right next to Brandon Sanderson, Terry Pratchett, L.E. Modessit Jr., Dave Duncan, Richard Morgan, F. Paul Wilson and Stephen-Freaking-King.

Grats on the recongnition, C.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by nealdooley View Post
    Hey Window. It is my alternative address so I don't read it daily:-)
    Neal, I've sent along some info, so good luck with it. Ignore the fact that I said you already had a series; I was confusing you with someone else.

Also, if you don't want to leave your e-mail on line, you can go back and edit your post.

Buena suerte -- WB

Quote Originally Posted by Carlyle Clark View Post
    found out it was a Kirkus ďCriticís Pick.Ē (I guess they donít notify you.) in Science Fiction and Fantasy. Itís listed up there right next to Brandon Sanderson, Terry Pratchett, L.E. Modessit Jr., Dave Duncan, Richard Morgan, F. Paul Wilson and Stephen-Freaking-King.
    Nice debut! This should help the momentum considerably.

-- WB

I often find that the quartly sales take an entire new quarter to get into your hands, that is if you have sold any at all. I have made money on every quarter since my book went on sale until second quarter this year, still selling them myself and some stores as well...sometimes it takes weeks even months to get those people to listen. I guess we just have to claw our way to the top, get noticed then they will take our calls and emails. Carefully worded, hell threaten them if they won't atleast respond...what the heck. It is your book, you did most of the work, they just published it! Are they promoting for you or do you have to pay extra for that?

I some times wish I was found...like JK Rowling or something like that.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the support. Window Bar, none of those things would bother me, except for the silence. If they don't answer my e-mails I imagine the worst. They haven't been great on the marketing thing, and weren't so good on the editing which I chalked up to being new. I don't sense money hungry, I sense inexperience.

I'll shoot of another email in a couple of weeks. In the mean time I've sent my newest magnum opus to beta readers... and I'm collecting some of my best and most audacious shorts to publish on smashwords. We'll see how it goes.

B5

RD, I don't think they find you unless you make some noise.

Things have been going along steadily and quickly this morning. I've done almost 2000 words in the past couple of hours. However, I must admit, that I've been sidetracked by an excellent and interesting article about harnessing guidelines for single donkey carts. I had a donkey freaking out, and needed to know what it would be kicking at. Little did I know how interesting this sort of thing actually is.
    Last edited by NickeeCoco; November 10th, 2011 at 12:08 PM.

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just hit 50,000 words with current WIP. I generally come out at 100,000 words per book so half way there!

Blog Entries
    We e-published my husband's novel today! I did some of the writing and a lot of the editing, so I feel a lot of ownership. Woohoo! It's out on Amazon and smashwords and now we're trying to get the word out, and hoping people buy it and like it. An exciting day! The book is called Once We Were Human, if anyone is interested.

The short description is: Carol, a housewife in the 1960s, catches Transform Sickness and from this, changes into a predator. Held against her will, she must figure out how to survive, then choose her destiny.

Wish us luck!

Finally hammered out the third chapter of my WIP's first draft - damn, I forgot how hard it is not having a ready-made world to take advantage of like in my last series. Thinking is SO over-rated. Gonna go play Skyrim now.

Kerry

Formatting my first book, Rise and Fall, this week. Editing a novella I want to have out in April and about 58K into the second book of my trilogy. Feels good to be writing new material again!

I r curious cuttlefish BlueAngel's Avatar
    I estimate that I've got a third of my Order of Chaos novel done. Over 16,000 words so far, and if 55,000 is an average for novels, that's about a third of the way through.
    I've hit a point where I'm not sure where else to go with the story though. I'm guessing I either need to let it sit for a while, or draw up a couple chapter outline ideas.

I have a two other projects: One unfinished short story, and an idea that I'm collecting notes on. Not sure if the latter will become a short story or something longer.

Also been wanting to send some submissions out to ezines, but can't figure a sure schedule of when to do it between my other projects and life in general. Should I do this once a month? Once a week? Any ideas how to straighten this out?

Thanks in advance, guys.

~Angela

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAngel View Post
    I estimate that I've got a third of my Order of Chaos novel done. Over 16,000 words so far, and if 55,000 is an average for novels, that's about a third of the way through.
    I don't think 55k is really long enough to qualify as a novel - most sub guidelines I've seen expect anwhere from 70k to 90k as a minimum.