Page 189 of 198 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 2966
    Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    They say in order to become a good writer you must write 1,000,000 words first. I have never done this before, but I built a spread sheet. Went through each and every short story, book, novella, partial story, and did a word count. Since 2000 I've written at least 992,167. This doesn't count re-writes, blog posts, or anything prior to 2000 (I spent most of the 90s writing the same book over and over and over.)

I think this means I'm getting closer to being a good writer. Hopefully I haven't gotten worse

I can't believe I'm 8000 words away from that million. I really can't. I think I'll go write some more!

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    Congrats! That's fantastic! I hope I can be a real, 1 million words written, writer someday too

Hi I am a newbie.
    I am have just finished draft four of my very first ever novel. It is an urban paranormal fantasy. I need to write a publishers pitch or even just get a better blurb to tell people about it. I am dedicated to writing and am not easily distracted but I am wondering why I am struggling to do this new task? What am I afraid of?

Speaks fluent Bawehrf zachariah's Avatar
    *Puts on Sigmund Freud outfit* You are afraid of completion. You are afraid that by performing these final tasks, the project which has occupied your personal life for so long and has so much of your soul inside it will be no longer under your control and will be laid bare in front of a rude, uncaring audience. It is completely natural and normal to feel like this. You are already ahead of most people who call themselves writers - you have a finished book. Take a look at some of the many threads here and elsewhere which give advice on the submission process, we'll be happy to give our unqualified help on your queries and so on. Well done!

Smile

Thank you for your kind words. You are right. Exposing my inner workings and thoughts through my creative piece. Vulnerabilty. But if I want to be published I need to have a cup of concrete and harden up! I will look at other forums

Hi Kim - first of all, many congratulations on having a finished manuscript. Something I read when I was grappling with the same issue about producing a blurb/synopsis was that writers often find it a challenge because it requires you to look at your work in a completely different way. Rather than thinking, as you will have been for quite a while if you have got through four drafts, about detailed questions of characterisation and plotting, writing a blurb requires you to take a step back and think about the overall theme of the story - trying to condense all of those important elements you have slaved so long over into a few short sentences. It may be - it was for me - that it had been a long time since you have thought about the overall theme of the story, and that you need to remind yourself of what fundamentally it is about. Anyway, best of luck for this next challenge!

Thanks Word Druid. You have definitely given me something to think about and do over the xmas break. Merry Christmas!

Registered User theonefirestorm's Avatar
    Completed 2 Chapters in the 2nd Book of a alien super hero book series. I'm on Chapter 3.

Still trying to think of one more activity a Criminal Syndicate would do that makes the Mafias look unimpressive, also need a name for the Criminal Syndicate that would be used in the Alien Super Hero book series.

I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    I've just finished and proofed a new novel, entitled Sarcology, a sexy and romantic detective-adventure set in 2040s Atlanta. I'm beginning the marketing process now, to release the book in Spring 2013.

After six months of endless distractions (not all bad ones), tomorrow I return to writing the end of The D Generation vol. III. which is a month overdue and people have been asking for it. Ooops! And my mind is already plotting volume IV--it will be good to catch up to it. No more distractions.

Blog Entries
    Here's my progress After submitting several stories to TMSO's writing contest for "The End," three times people said "I don't think English is the author's first language," even though English is my ONLY language LMAO! And.... I'm so bullheaded I'm still writing anyways.

So perhaps one could dub me insane, or throw out a few more pathology-related terms to describe me, but I call that progress, because a writer must absolutely refuse to quit.

(Also, I do often kid that I can hardly speak English, let alone a second language. This gives the statement credence.)

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So I'm starting to write a new series...exciting times...I've yet to write the first sentence but have spent the last 12 days with world building and I really like how it is coming together.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by virangelus View Post
    ...three times people said "I don't think English is the author's first language," even though English is my ONLY language LMAO!
    I've been accused of the same. Though, unfortunate for you, Spanish was my first language. But! English really is the only language I write in.

But you are right. You are every bit of a writer. I hope you submit something to this year's anthology.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    So I'm starting to write a new series...exciting times...I've yet to write the first sentence but have spent the last 12 days with world building and I really like how it is coming together.
    Sounds like fun, Michael. I look forward to reading more about this new project of yours. Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by sullivan_riyria View Post
    To echo tmso, can't wait to hear more!