Page 2 of 193 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Let's see...

Currently have one novel in re-write. I decided that I didn't like the way it started, so I deleted the first chapter entirely and am doing a complete re-write of chapters 2-3. Otherwise, the other 14 chapters seem to be fine, we'll see how it reads.

Have another novel about 80% completed and I really like where it's gone. Oddly enough, I just read a book by a friend of mine and a lot of the details in his book are very similar to mine, although not enough to make a difference, and we never talked about any of it so it's just coincidence.

Still have two novels complete and sitting on them, waiting for the right time to publish, if the time ever comes.

Probably another 4-5 novels in some state of plotting.

Two non-fiction projects that may or may not ever get finished, simply because I don't have time to work on them.

I think that about sums things up.

I want to see the one with the wizard having a heart attack. Nobody has heart attacks in fantasy. This opens up a whole new vista -- diabetes, cancerous tumors, tuberculosis.

That, Maus, is what Ironchef was trying to get started on the Talent thread. Thanks for being inspirational and congrats on another sale.

Originally posted by KatG
    ...cancerous tumors...
    Actually, in the novel I'm currently conceptualizing there's a healer with leucemia; it's her motivation to go on that terribly dangerous quest...

And yes, it's going to be (if it's going to be at all) a fantasy novel.

(I've got a Prologue and 1st chapter written; but I doubt they'll be in the finished product.)

Zelazny Wannabe
    Good day today. I've kinda picked up a good head of steam lately.

I tuned up Withdrawal after I got some positive feedback from my website, fleshed out the ending a little because I felt it was a bit weak.

I finally gave in to the temptation on my latest idea. I'm not breaking my 3-story rule, I'm just bending it a little bit. I decided to write a series of character-introducing short stories that will prequel the main trilogy. Since we're talking about immortals in a semi-modern world I can explore some aspects of history that I like a lot. The one I started today is about Bernard ( aka Bernard of Clairvaux, semi-founder of the Knights Templar) and it's set during the Crusades. I'm lovin' it.

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    What did I do today (after a good Easter off). I wrote Chapter 4 in my new book (KatG, drop me a PM and I'll send you the rough draft of my Heart Attack Victim). The story is forming in my head as I go and I hope to write a couple more chapters tomorrow. I didn't have as much time to write as I would have liked. Why? Editing takes as much if not more time than writing.

I edited ALL unsubmitted works. I also submitted all those works save one -- I queried a potential place for Note from a Castle's Dungeon.

Time and postage, that's what my writing costs. I do hope that some day it'll start to at least pay for itself in paper, ink and postage.

For those who submit, I've a question.

Do you use a standard submission method?

What I mean is this. When I submit something via e-mail, the .rtf files (99% don't accept .doc or anything else) I have them formatted with a template I've constructed. This saves time. LOTS of precious writing time.
    If I submit via the mail, I have envelopes (large manilla) that keep the paper flat. I have envelopes that have pull and stick adhesive (so editors don't have to lick anything). Every address is on a label. I purchased ink jet labels from Avery for normal envelopes and the large manilla envelopes. MY address has my logo (the one you see next to my name here) on each envelope. I also print labels for the publisher's address sans logo.

I'm not cinfident, but I've gotten a written response from EVERY mailed submission. I've heard many who get form letters. I don't know if it's my 'style' or writing that gets the personal response -vs- form letter, but I'm hoping it's a combination of both.

My curious question again (if you forgot) do you submit the same way every time?

My second question: Do you send thank you letters when you're rejected?

The reason I ask this: I've heard that editors remember people who said thank you as they're few and far between. If you send them another story, they may actually read it the next time around.

It warms my heart.

I know some would consider me a 'hack' because I pump out work left and right. Yes, I'm fast. I don't disagree. But I can say I'm getting better with each work I write.

My latest publication. The Empty Letter. Aoife's Kiss has picked up this work for publication in Spetember! WOO~HOO!

This has inspired me to write another story, or two, or three...hehehe.

It's possible. I'd love to see more in this thread getting published. The first step is to get your work out there and read. It's a tough wait and rejections suck, but I'll take 10 rejections right now with one acceptance! Nothing can knock me down.

Ok, I'm happy. Just want to let all ya'all know that.

Prolific is good if the quality shines through.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Originally posted by KatG
    I want to see the one with the wizard having a heart attack. Nobody has heart attacks in fantasy. This opens up a whole new vista -- diabetes, cancerous tumors, tuberculosis.

That, Maus, is what Ironchef was trying to get started on the Talent thread. Thanks for being inspirational and congrats on another sale.
    David Gemmell often writes about heart attacks and tumors, in fact, in White Wolf he has both!!! Druss, his best character by far, a giant axe-man is getting old and his heart struggles with his age and size and the magic used in his world can cause tumors, a siamese twin separated from his twin at the waist using a combination of magic and knowledge, sadly is riddled with cancer, from the magic... Very interesting. I like the way Gemmell often writes about how nature fights back against magic in this way.

Sorry to go off topic, my next post will be back on track, DG is VERY underrated.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Worms ~ Published (Writers, a literary journal)
    It's good to be back ~ Published (Dragon Soup)
    The only constant ~ Published (Here & Now)
    Arthur's Tavern ~ Published (Legend)
    Choices ~ Accepted (Here & Now, but I think they have forgotten)
    Common Sense (AKA 700 Words) ~ Loved by the masses, hated by the people with the printing machines

The Spirit Sword of Lee-Taga ~ Complete fantasy novel (75,000 words) needs editing and few 'groans' removed... Like the black armour ...

Falling hair, distant breeze ~ Dark Fantasy in progress (about 4 chapters complete and plot outline) this has potential and is not like anything in fantasy I have read, not that, that means it is good of course, just different.

Eaters of death ~ Short story I have almost finished, anyone who has read my non-fantasy work knows I like to keep things weird and let the reader fill many of the gaps... This is VERY strange.

Dotted line ~ Short story almost complete. This is an interesting one because the sections are written in reverse, I.E. the story starts and then the next section occured 20 minutes earlier, the next 15 minutes before that and so on. It is my take on the 'sell your soul' concept.

Loveable Rogue Inc. ~ Collab story, turning into a rather fun quest-fantasy romp... When Dawnstorm lays off the drugs!!!

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by juzzza
    Loveable Rogue Inc. ~ Collab story, turning into a rather fun quest-fantasy romp... When Dawnstorm lays off the drugs!!!
    Can we have cleanup on keyboard number four please! ROLFLMAO!

Originally posted by maus99

What I mean is this. When I submit something via e-mail, the .rtf files (99% don't accept .doc or anything else) I have them formatted with a template I've constructed. This saves time. LOTS of precious writing time.

"I don't know about short story authors, but i do know that novels are normally sent to the publisher on a floppy or CD in the Microsoft Word program. Sometimes they also ask for the typed manuscript. Or are you inquiring from other short story authors?"

in regards to second question: "No. Why should I thank them for rejecting my work?"
    Last edited by Gregg Bradley; April 13th, 2004 at 07:09 AM.

Originally posted by maus99

It's been awhile. Back many years ago, I had some short sf/f stories I sent out. I apparently had a knack for picking magazines that went out of business just as I submitted to them. One magazine was going to buy a story, then had to go out of business due to editor illness. Then other things got busy and I stopped submitting. Now I'm just getting back to short stories while trying to do some novel projects. I had a standard form -- short story in a pocket folder w/ brief cover letter and SASE, name and address on the first page, name and phone number on other pages -- and it seemed to work if there was someone there to receive the submission. Mostly, you try to follow the submission guidelines of the magazine, if you can obtain them, which might cause a little variance in submission procedures. Some magazines don't want cover letters at all, for instance.

Your method seems to be working fine and you're getting good responses, which comes from your writing, not your formatting. It pays to remember that the editors of most of these magazines or anthologies are doing a labor of love, are overwhelmed and not necessarily extremely professional and organized. A writer giving a neat, organized submission, whether print or electronic, is always appreciated even if they don't like your stuff.

The reason I ask this: I've heard that editors remember people who said thank you as they're few and far between. If you send them another story, they may actually read it the next time around.
    Editors do appreciate the thanks, but they aren't necessarily going to remember you for it. There are too many people sending them manuscripts, and while they read and assess stories and may remember the details of those stories, the identities of authors they don't want tend to blur together. The ones that they are most likely to remember are the writers of stories they really liked and thought were done well but for one reason or another, decided not to take. Those are the stories that tend to get written responses in rejecting and offers to submit another story down the road. Which you're already getting, so you're memorable all on your own. If you send them a thank-you, you'll just be adding to their mail pile, which they don't really need.

However, if an editor sent you back detailed and somewhat enthusiastic notes on the rejected story, encouraged you to try the magazine again with other stories, and was generally positive, you could, especially with email submissions, send a little note saying how much you appreciate the feedback and that you'll definitely be contacting the magazine again in the future. Couldn't hurt.

Originally posted by juzzza
    Consider'em laid off.

Btw, did I mention I'm taking downers?

Juzz -- Haven't had the chance to read Gemmell, though he is on my reading list.

Of course, I'm sure that there are plenty of illnesses running around fantasy -- the Deryni books spring to mind, though it's been awhile since I read those -- but usually, illnesses are either plagues or are magic-induced. Something as prosaic as a non-magic-related heart attack is relatively rare, I think.

Gemmel is on my 'to buy' list which is ever growing.

My Heart attack victim will be slightly modified in the re-write to a congestive heart failure victim. Why? Nitro Gliceryn pills treat the pain common associated with congestive heart failure. Nitro is very easy to make with a combination of acids. A wizard would have access to these?

Well it makes sense in the story anyway.

I got through chapter 6 today and wrote The Bridge. It's a fantasy short story and once edited, I'll be looking for a home for that one.