Page 42 of 199 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    And another rejection....*sigh* This agent is not taking on any new clients this year... but the letter was nice.

That's number seven!

Sorry to hear that. Glad to hear 'twas a nice letter, though.

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    Alas, I received a rejection slip from Interzone this morning for my short fantasy that I recently submitted.

I'm disappointed but I know that Interzone is a very hard mag to get published in, so I'm not particularly surprised. The note was a standard slip...would have been nice even to have a single line of feedback on it.

Still, at least the response was swift - I only submitted the story a week ago!

I think I might try my luck with Black Gate magazine.

I'm sorry to hear that, but did someone once say (or am I making this up), 'Every rejection is just one step closer to success'? You'll get the acceptance in the end!

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    Gee... that sounds familiar.

Just keep it out there Hol! One day your genius will be recognized.

Just keep following Heinlein's rules and writing...

Blog Entries
    I will keep trying Maus, Dawnstorm, whitesilkbreeze (till I run out of agents to send it too lol)

Though I do find when I am sending stuff out, that for the first month or two I can't bring myself to write anything. Even emails and posts seem to be a chore I don't want to do.

Sorry to hear about your rejection James.

SHADOWCRAFT
    Did you ever try VOYAGER BOOKS' parent company, i can't quite remember the name but if you try the voyager site the link will be there. They said that although they recieve alot of writing, they do sometimes take on people who are without agents andif you send to them they will read it and send it back (if you want it back), and you will get feedback. Or if you're lucky an 'success notice'.
    Just thought that could help. Good luck with your work.

I finally broke 40k words, something I've never done. I'm nearing the half-way point in The Traveler, with 13 completed chapters linked on this site for purusal. I'm starting to believe that I will indeed finish this book! It's very exciting.

Good luck on the rest of the book, Reginald Gordon! We'll be looking forward to its completion!

Blog Entries
    Errr Shadowcraft, I beg to differ.

I assume you mean the Voyager Books that publish Eddings, Martin, Goodkind, Feist, Hobbs to name but a few, here in the UK.

The parent company is HarperCollins and this is from their website with regards to unsolicited manuscripts.

Due to the large number of unsolicited manuscripts we receive, and the small number of works published from those submissions, we do not accept unsolicited material. This includes online manuscript submissions and web site proposals.

The publishing needs of HarperCollinsPublishers are currently met with material submitted by literary agents and published authors and those accompanied by a positive assessment from a manuscript assessment agency.

In fact most publishers are tightening up on this, some, who I know two years ago were running a slush pile now send your manuscript back unread and cite "get an agent"

As to using a manuscript assessment agency, those are fine if you have upwards of £500 to spare to get the job done.
    Last edited by Holbrook; March 5th, 2006 at 01:05 PM.

SHADOWCRAFT
    Sorry if i've obviously angered you.
    I saw the site a while ago and either read it wrong or things have changed, i remember reading one of the parent companies to either voyager or orbit and that they would take in certain people.
    I just saw everyone with so much hassle and thought that i had something that could help.
    I'll check orbit's parent company to be sure.
    Sorry about any problems i caused i was just trying to help.

SHADOWCRAFT
    Okay i searched and found out who it was i was talking about.
    I had gotten mixed up, it was TIME WARNER publishing, the parent company to Orbit Publishing. They're realising alot of the newer fantasy authors.
    Like the magician's guild series.

http://www.twbg.co.uk/index.html

Here's the site, it took a while to find, just look under company and submission guide.
    I hope this does help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SHADOWCRAFT
    Sorry if i've obviously angered you.
    Sorry about any problems i caused i was just trying to help.

What gave you the impression you had angered me??

Yes, Time Warner does accept unsolicited manuscripts, but they still prefer agent presented ones.

SHADOWCRAFT
    i just felt like quite an onslaught you gave me. I had the idea that maybe someone had suggested something like it before. And with all the hassle people seem to be getting it might be bothering people.
    Not to mention that its getting me down a bit.

I know they prefer agented work, but at least there's someone looking at the work and replying, whereas others just send the basic copy and paste slip and don't even read it.
    So i thought i could be a step forward for someone.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    I don't think Holbrook was getting at you Shadowcraft, but you may have been preaching to the choir in here.

If you read more of this thread you will see that we have some seasoned writers as members, many already published. Most are well-versed in the submission process and some could probably write books on the rejection process!

As we all know, getting rejections is all part of the game, Stephen King and Matt Stover decorated their home offices with rejection slips.

I'm sure when Holbrook talks in his sleep, he recites the submission guidelines of most of the major publishing houses.

Anyway, if you are here to share your progress with writing fiction or your ambitious movie scripts, Shadowcraft, you are more than welcome to the writing forum.