Page 50 of 197 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
    Ah, thank you Monty. It shall be done!

And don't get me started about head-voices. You are warned, GreyMantle, that writing can seriously decrease your sanity. You think I'm kidding, you're in for a shock!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnstorm
    @Holbrook: An Oracle Prequal? Should be interesting.
    Will only get written if I sell Oracle. To be honest I don't think I could drag myself through writing about those characters again just to file them away with Oracle.

Had another rejection to day, plainly told they could not see a market for it.....Oh hum.... Sent another out, email submission this time, save on the postage. A month turn-a-round.

The new idea/story is getting sorted in my head. I am starting to draft out scenes, but being a historical fiction of sorts, the amount of detail I need to research even for the smallest things is daunting. I have gaps and notes like; find out which reg was on the front line at Whipers on this date. Did a sniper sit in no-mans-land or peek over the trench....It goes on and on....
    Last edited by Holbrook; June 22nd, 2006 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook
    Will only get written if I sell Oracle. To be honest I don't think I could drag myself through writing about those characters again just to file them away with Oracle.
    That's interesting. I've never thought about what to write in terms of what I could sell. I pretty much take for granted that whatever I write gets shelved. It's liberating, as you can write whatever you want.

Had another rejection to day, plainly told they could not see a market for it.....Oh hum.... Sent another out, email submission this time, save on the postage. A month turn-a-round.
    I wonder if it's such pre-conceptions that keep good stuff from the market, and then - as a feed-back loop - create preconceptions in the publishers, which in turn conditions readers...

The new idea/story is getting sorted in my head. I am starting to draft out scenes, but being a historical fiction of sorts, the amount of detail I need to research even for the smallest things is daunting. I have gaps and notes like; find out which reg was on the front line at Whipers on this date. Did a sniper sit in on-mans-land or peek over the trench....It goes on and on....
    That does sound daunting. Question: Are you aiming to please even the last surviving veterans?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnstorm
    That's interesting. I've never thought about what to write in terms of what I could sell. I pretty much take for granted that whatever I write gets shelved. It's liberating, as you can write whatever you want.
    Honestly I would find it too heart breaking to write more.

I wonder if it's such pre-conceptions that keep good stuff from the market, and then - as a feed-back loop - create preconceptions in the publishers, which in turn conditions readers...
    The more I find out about the business the more i realise it is a very ruthless one.

That does sound daunting. Question: Are you aiming to please even the last surviving veterans?
    No, the anal history buffs out there. They are the spawn of evil

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook
    Did a sniper sit in no-mans-land or peek over the trench....It goes on and on....
    This is World War I-based? I think the snipers did both, though they didn't have scopes, so it might be easier in No-Man's-Land, as you're closer to the target. Have you seen All Quiet On the Western Front? (Haven't read the book.) The main character . . . Well, just watch the end of it; who cares about the rest of the movie?

Hey! I'm a history buff, and I'm not anal! (Not that you're in my field right now; maybe them First World War peeps are anal.)
    Last edited by Mock; June 22nd, 2006 at 08:06 AM.

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    Holbrook, if you are serious about this wartime short story, I suggest reading both All Quiet on the Western Front, and Birdsong by Sebastien Faulks.

You should get a very good idea of what it was like in the trenches from these.

If you need a more non-fictional approach, try Eye-Deep in Hell, which is a very readable account of trench warfare in WW1.

Blog Entries
    Just finished a rough copy of a fantasy story called "Stubborn" that I was hoping to use in the SFF story contest. I am also over a chapter into the conclusion of my Dragon "Dreams" trillogy. Several other stories are waiting in the wings, but I want to finish DD first.

Hello, I'm Brian Lauer. I'm a first time author and I'm still in the process of completing my first book, which I've titled Heroes of Ardellia. There are 12 completed chapters so far and I have about 170 pages typed. I've really tried to focus on character and plot development. I think it is important to have characters that people can identify with and a plot that that intertwines through people and places keeping a reader interested from cover to cover. At the beginning of the book I added a backstory of events that lead up to where the actual events take place explaining the situation and it also introduces the main characters. The synopsis is an all-powerful crystal has been fragmented and scattered across the known world. A council from the largest city decides to dispatch five of their best to seek out these fragments before a powerful wizard can assemble it and use it for "how original" world domination. Politics and deception lead to several twist and their travels often end up encountering things that usually tend a make an already difficult predicament worse. The plot begins thick and only gets thicker as the story progresses. I can prepare the first 9 to 10 chapters to be sent over e-mail if there is anyone interested in taking a look. Please send your opinions to my email at lauer7983@hotmail.com
    Thanks for listening,
    Brian Lauer

Brian -- I'll take a quick look

It's so tough to get folks to help out.

One science fiction site gave me free advertising for a year; another is publishing a great review of my first novel sometime in early August. An ebook precedent for the site.

I owe. Send it but I'm probably not very good at crits. I'll try.

Robert Eggleton
    "Rarity from the Hollow"
    robert_t@charter.net

Big thanks Robert!

Robert, I'll have the first 9 or 10 chapters ready for you sometime tomorrow. It ends at a good pivotal point in the book where some drastic changes take place that greatly affect the characters. Take your time reading it and I look forward to heraing your feedback.

Thanks alot,

Brian

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    Hi all!

I've finally started work on a novel, and have started a new blog to keep a record of my progress. I'll be discussing the trials and tribulations of writing as I encounter them, as well as making various observations (hopefully of a reasonably intellectual nature!). In addition to this I'll post snippets from my draft, and talk a bit about the world I'm creating and the characters I'm writing about. I'll also post book reviews, give recommendations and generally rant and rave about the genre in general. The occasional foray into the "real" world will probably also crop up from time to time.

Be sure to pop over from time to time and exactly how crazy I'm being driven by my attempts at novel writing!

http://theorderofmidnight.blogspot.com/

Good luck James!

Please check out my essay on self-promotion: I Found God in Cyberspace at www.wingspanquarterly.com.

I'll check out your new blog.

-- Robert Eggleton
    Rarity from the Hollow

That's a great idea James. I've been thinking of doing the same as means of getting my thoughts on writing and my projects somewhere before I forget them. :P Blogger seems like a decent site since i can keep that seperate from my day-to-day dramas on livejournal.

I have a great many projects I'm working on at the moment - far too many in fact that I often jump from one to the other and sadly I often leave them abandoned for some time. It's been two and half years since I've written anything worthwhile and I think it's about time that I actually put my foot down and do something about it. I've always wanted to write since 5 years of age so I might as well live up to my dream. =)

These are the pieces I'm either writing or thinking about:

* Major scifi story 1 - This is the prize gem of all my writing projects. I've written nearly 20 pages on background and timeline and currently working on chapter 2. I'm thinking of making this a 9 book series with each 3 being a different time and characters but set in the same universe. What really inspires me to write this story is its vast history and the openness that it presents. Right now, I have at least 78 short story ideas that I can write from this epic but when I get round to them is a matter of time.

* Major fantasy story 1 - 3 book series set in an industrial world that is conflicted by science, religion and the existence of magic. It has a fair bit of steampunk in it. Got a couple of notes regarding names and places and written a brief prologue but haven't really touched on this much.

* Major fantasy story 2 - Was a spur of the moment idea I had after watching a few documentaries on Japan and other Asian cultures. I love the mysticism and natural feel about some of the Japanese myths and I feel that I can explore some contemporary issues through these elements as well. I'm thinking about just making this a single novel, perhaps even the first that I intend to have published.

* Forum type fantasy story - Even though I write this for fun and includes a few forum friends in it, I actually went to the effort to make a map and include a history of the planet that the events take place. At the moment I'm planning to make this a 3 book series as well. This is probably my priority now since I neglected to finish it when I had the chance 2 years ago and I owe it to my friends to do so. :)

* Minor stories - Even though I have some 'vague' plot ideas I'm not very experienced when it comes to short stories to be honest. I like writing BIG and exploring a number of ideas over 120k+ words so it would take me a bit of practice to writing in a smaller frame. Not quite sure how to begin these really. =/

Yeah, I realise these are pretty ambitious and I'm probably overestimating what I can realistically achieve but I like to set goals to aim for. =)

Brian your story sounds really interesting. I'd love to read some sample chapters if you like. ^^
    Last edited by Nightblade; August 1st, 2006 at 01:06 AM.

Some Guy Who Likes Books White Owl's Avatar
    Im new to writing and at the moment writing my very first fiction piece. Its a short story and It borderlines between fantasy and historic. Ive got the planning done on it and now Im just writing it up.

Wow it takes a lot more work to write a small story then I thought it would. It's still fun though. Wow thankfully I took other people's advice and started writing short stories before jumping into a novel.

Short Stories May Be Harder To Write

White Owl,

Some nice folks with experience in publishing have commented to me (email) that it's harder to write a good short story than a novel. Personally, I did probably everything backwards in this business and got a novel published first. I've got two short stories that I'm working on, both of which I got excited and sent out before they were ready -- rejected.

One thing that is really hard about a novel is self-promotion. While most people have been nice, some have been downright mean when I've told them about my novel. The way I figure it though, these people would have never even noticed my novel if I hadn't told them about it. So, it is not hurting sales, and the ones that responded favorably to my efforts might consider buying it. I don't think you have to do nearly as much self-promotion with a short story that is published and, in that way, it may be easier.

Good luck and maintain the high expectations.

-- Robert Eggleton
    "Rarity from the Hollow"