Page 51 of 198 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL
    Hi all!

I've finally started work on a novel, and have started a new blog to keep a record of my progress. I'll be discussing the trials and tribulations of writing as I encounter them, as well as making various observations (hopefully of a reasonably intellectual nature!). In addition to this I'll post snippets from my draft, and talk a bit about the world I'm creating and the characters I'm writing about. I'll also post book reviews, give recommendations and generally rant and rave about the genre in general. The occasional foray into the "real" world will probably also crop up from time to time.

Be sure to pop over from time to time and exactly how crazy I'm being driven by my attempts at novel writing!

http://theorderofmidnight.blogspot.com/
    Congratulations on your hard work, JamesL! I'm reading your blog right now, and the story looks damn cool/exciting/interesting. A fight on a crumbling tower . . . nice! One thing, though . . . Check Wikipedia.org for "Soulstone." It's a common name. I dunno if this will be a problem if you're gonna try to publish your book . . .

On second thought, ignore what I just said. Focus on finishing. Good luck!

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    Mage, cheers for your input. I'll have to have a think about the soulstone issue - thanks for pointing that out!

As for the crumbling tower, that's now been changed. I've almost finished the first draft of the prologue, I'll post some of when I'm done. We'll see. I'll also reveal a bit more about the background to the novel in the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL
    As for the crumbling tower, that's now been changed.
    Aw. Better stick it in though, or I might have to steal it. Nah, but it was a nice idea imo. Anyway…yeah have fun.

Uh-oh I'm distracting you. GET OFF THE INTERNET AND TURN OUT THE LIGHTS AND BLOCK OUT THE WORLD AND WRITE!! !! !! !! !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Mage-
    Congratulations on your hard work, JamesL! I'm reading your blog right now, and the story looks damn cool/exciting/interesting. A fight on a crumbling tower . . . nice! One thing, though . . . Check Wikipedia.org for "Soulstone." It's a common name. I dunno if this will be a problem if you're gonna try to publish your book . . .

On second thought, ignore what I just said. Focus on finishing. Good luck!
    Talk about common names -- I've been Bob Eggleton all my life, but the editor recommended that I change it to Robert Eggleton to avoid any identity confusion with the famous artist who has done wonderful science fiction covers. Mybe I should have checked Wikipedia! LOL

Robert Eggleton
    "Rarity from the Hollow"

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roberteggleton
    Talk about common names -- I've been Bob Eggleton all my life, but the editor recommended that I change it to Robert Eggleton to avoid any identity confusion with the famous artist who has done wonderful science fiction covers. Mybe I should have checked Wikipedia! LOL

Robert Eggleton
    "Rarity from the Hollow"
    Aha! I did wonder whether you were one and the same!

I'll have a read of your article today, Bob, sounds good.
    Last edited by JamesL; August 6th, 2006 at 05:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Oracle is out with an agent, has been since 22nd June. If I haven't heard anything by the 22nd of Sept, will drop him a line.

As for my new writing. I am stalled, or rather avoiding writing anything. Even emails and posts seem an effort. The brain is frozen, I think. I need to re-structure my day. I have gotten lazy about doing things. I did twice as much when the girls were younger.

Been glancing through my "ideas" folder and decided to make an effort to work on each one for a while each day.

As for Hand of Glory, I am drowning in research!!! lol... so many books to read!

Thanks for the Read -- Rarity from the Hollow

[QUOTE=JamesL]Aha! I did wonder whether you were one and the same!

I'll have a read of your article today, Bob, sounds good. [/QU

I emiled the famous artist, Bob Eggleton, and he replied. We both thought that the name Bob Eggleton should be rare. However, it's not as uncommon, apparently, as suspected.

Several years ago, I was in the check out line of Kroger (grocery store chain) and the woman behind me said to the cashier, "I wouldn't take that check," about the one I was writing. It turned out, when I went with her to the laudromat that she owned next door, a person with the same name had written her a bad check.

Last week, a Bob Eggleton obituary was in the local paper. I'm glad it wasn't me.

And, a few years ago I was part owner of a recording studio that somehow turned into a teen hotspot on weekends. A cop patrolling the front was kind of impolite to the kids (underage smoking, etc. -- you know...). When I went to the front sidewalk to intervene, everything changed after I read his name, mine, above his badge and showed him my driver's license.

I thought it would have been really cool if Bob Eggleton, the artist, would have done the cover for "Rarity from the Hollow" written by Bob Eggleton, me. Of course, he didn't reply to that email. I'm sure that he's way to busy to fool around with a novice in the fiction marketplace. However, Jag Lall, English comic book artist, volunteered to do the cover pro bono because he liked the book and the cause (child abuse prevention). I love the cover, but it's unusual for a science fiction novel (surrealistic), unlike my name.

Robert Eggleton (Bob)

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Heh!

Justin Thorne isn't unique either...

I'm a character played by Jimmy Smits in a movie about a liberal arts professor who is accused of sexually harrassing one of his students!

I am also the star of a 'Learn to hip-hop' DVD, which comes in two volumes.

I am also a published author, having written a teen psychology book called 'Dragonology'... a manual for parents with kids about to enter high school!

I am also the creator and author of 'The Dubya Speak Compendium' - a collection of classic George Dubya Bush quotes available now on CD as well as in print!

I'm also a guy who triple-majored in Modern Language!

I am also, sadly, a guy who passed away in 2005, the day before my birthday!

I'm also a top-scoring soccer player for St Helens. And a cross-county athlete in Newfoundland!

Worst or all... I am a teenager who insists on periodically harrassing the 'real' Justin Thorne for owning the url www.justinthorne.com, because I am clearly 'much cooler' and 'the best Justin Thorne'.

Everyone knows the REAL Justin Thorne is a loveable rogue musican and writer!

I have three chapters of my novel with a publisher along with a few of my short stories.

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza
    Everyone knows the REAL Justin Thorne is a loveable rogue musican and writer!
    I bet he paid you to say that.

Best of luck for the submissions, Juzzza.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by juzzza
    I have three chapters of my novel with a publisher along with a few of my short stories.

Fingers crossed or you....

Luck, Juzza

Good luck Justin. I think you are another of the yet to be discovered significant talents on these boards, and you've put in the work and time.
    Hope it goes well!

Good luck!

Maybe you could change you name to Bob. LOL Good luck with the submission.

Good Luck to Everyone who has submissions pending!

I have my new website, A.J. Roberts, where I put my stories that aren't being submitted anywhere and updates.

I have one short story submitted for a Zombie Anthology and one short story submitted at a few Horror Magazines - Print and Online.

Nice Website

My youngest son, 32, said he would make me a website for Lacy Dawn Adventures (Rarity from the Hollow is the first of a series.). He's a genius (verified by former public school testing -- not just my opinion) but so busy that it's hard to get him on the phone. I like your site, unlike some that are unattractive or use bright color contrasts that are too hard to read. However, I tried your "contact" and it didn't work. What would you charge to make me a website that works really good? What would it cost me to keep it up? I work with abused kids for a fraction of what I used to make when I administered agencies. So, I'm kind of down on funds, but I can afford something.