Page 55 of 197 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
    Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Last couple of posts moved to the promotion/marketing thread:

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14590

Also made it sticky...

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook

Juzzza;

Have I read that story, either I have or seen your thoughts/ outline glad to see it has seen the light of day and that the book is forging ahead....

You are going to finish DB,FH then??? I do hope so......
    Yea, I think I sent you the rough draft of the first few pages.

DB, FH will happen, but I think 'Bastards' will be the first novel-length project to see the light of day, and the prologue will appear in my anthology.

As to writing progress: I'm up to chapter seven in book two of The Saga of the Riven Blade. My agent is taking book one out to publishers (Tor first) in mid-September, and until then I'm inviting everyone to my site therivenbladesaga.com to read the synopsis and first three chapters and give me some feedback. Almost 1,000 visitors in the first month and some great comments!

jscottnelson--welcome, good job, congrats, and ... why does it feel like we've been here before?

Hope to see you around.

B5

BoA Manager

Update!

General update.

My solo production is going well. Two weeks until opening night.And it is nearly completed. May post a copy on here some time in the very near future.

Am currently back reading for a friend. She is working on a new full length 2hour script so it is a priviledge for me to read it so early on in the process.

My own script has sort of come to a temporary hault while I focus on school work and exams etc.

~ Tari

Agent queries are out for RoseThorn, so I guess I have some time to work on my next project.

Next project: A duology anticipated at ~300k words. Percent done: 1% (initial concept, tentative titles, beginnings of an outline).

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    Good luck with that Brian.

I would have liked to have read your whole manuscript but unfortunately couldn't commit to it; I barely have enough time to write as it is.

Blog Entries
    Fingers crossed for you, Brian.

Blog Entries
    Oh the joy of submitting manuscripts.

Such is my progress to date;

Ok; fired off a reminder to the agent that has Oracle at present. (He is number 13, so bound to fail lol) Had a nice email back saying should hear by Wednesday, so suspect rejection shortly... Don't mind, par for the course, but will be giving Oracle a rest (well will send it off to Mundania Press and forget about it, they take about four months)

I will then start sending out my magus opus, Llafn Meistr, to agents. Now that will be fun! Who wants a traditional Epic Fantasy without wizards or elves!!! ROFL!!!! A book of over 250,000 words about the forging of a sword for a King lol.... Damn this book took me years to research and write and I have been frightened to death about sending it out. Now I must bite the bullet and see the "great dream" fall flat on its face into the waste basket of agents and publishers. I will trawl through the first 13 on my list of agents then give that a rest. At the current rate of my rejections, that should take me till this time next year.

So that gives me plenty of time to get my current project written. Which is Hand of Glory...... Gorden Bennett! The research for this is killing me, not just the WWI stuff, that I can hack, it's the local history. (Stupid me I am setting it in a fictional village set between the one I live in and the one next too, a sort of hybrid lol... So local knowledge of the time period is vital, besides I want the villan to go off Essex Bridge into the Trent!!
    Last edited by Holbrook; September 3rd, 2006 at 10:08 AM.

Holy cramoli, Holbrock! sounds like you been busy. Oh, do you keep your rejections in an album for each project, kind of like a baby book you can look back on

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlinkat
    Holy cramoli, Holbrock! sounds like you been busy. Oh, do you keep your rejections in an album for each project, kind of like a baby book you can look back on
    Yes....... But I don't look at them often

Not like anyone really cares, but it takes something off of my chest when I say that I'm on my last revision of my short story, "Smuggler's Run."

It's about a crew of once-upon-a-time famous smugglers that are in the pits when the captain, Merrill Halloway, takes on a lowly transport run without informing the others. After the crew (Lilly, the childhood friend of Merrill; Ram, the brains-behind-the-plans; Ged, the arrogant translator; Frimm, the eccentric and witless pilot and engineer) inadvertantly finds out about the plan, they protest. That is, until they find out exactly what kind of danger they're headed for.

I'm planning on sending it to the L. Ron Hubbard's "Writers of the Future" contest. Yeah, yeah, the guy who created scientology. I don't know if it's a very entertaining story or not. I mean, a couple of people that checked it out said it was, but... It seems a little too short. I mean, it's 17,000 words, and some would say that one can hardly consider that short (in fact, it's a novella, but that's acceptable), but in my opinion it shuts off too quick; leaving me with the feeling that the story was meant to be something bigger. Oh well... I'm NEVER satisfied with my own work. I've been cutting and cutting and cutting for a long time. Perhaps after I've gotten rid of the fat I can add more salt to it, but the deadline is at the end of this month and I need to send it FAR AWAY in a VERY LARGE envelope. It was crazy how I started writing this story. I just sat down, and began typing. I mean, it was so wierd, the first words are "What's the holdup, folks?" and those words weren't meant for anything, they just began the whole plot. Odd... Anyway, the point is that my self-esteem has been the constant toll of my toil, and I fear that, by the end, I'll be completely sapped of my talent. I'm prepared for a rejection - although I am not writing with that intention in mind - because I'm a simple amateur with a fresh mind. I just hope that this is my future career, I really do. I just can't seem to stick with the common rules of writing and writing style. For instance, I can't stop blabbering....

It's about a crew of once-upon-a-time famous smugglers that are in the pits when the captain, Merrill Halloway, takes on a lowly transport run without informing the others. After the crew (Lilly, the childhood friend of Merrill; Ram, the brains-behind-the-plans; Ged, the arrogant translator; Frimm, the eccentric and witless pilot and engineer) inadvertantly finds out about the plan, they protest. That is, until they find out exactly what kind of danger they're headed for.
    Interesting. With the current taste for pirates and other picaresque fare, you might be right on target. But I'm curious, what's the SF angle? Also, wasn't Ged the name of the protagonist in the Earthsea series?

I'm planning on sending it to the L. Ron Hubbard's "Writers of the Future" contest. Yeah, yeah, the guy who created scientology.
    Nothing wrong with that. Yeah Hubbard is the scientology dude, but the contest is probably the one legacy of his that is least touched by that shame. It's a legit contest, with some very valuable prizes. Besides, , I've submitted a story for the present quarterly contest, so "Smuggler's Run" will be going up against my "The Sword is Mightier than the Pen" .

Re: "The Mission," reached q-finals in WOTF, sent it out again, this time to Asimov. It's the first humorous story I have written, so I'm going to keep sending it out and revising it until either it finds a place or I write something funnier

I'm working on a rewrite of a story I first wrote over a year ago, called "Rocinante." It's about a space ship, but it draws more from Don Quixote than from Rush's "Cygnus X-1"

Interesting. With the current taste for pirates and other picaresque fare, you might be right on target. But I'm curious, what's the SF angle? Also, wasn't Ged the name of the protagonist in the Earthsea series?
    The SF angle (in that question I could figure that you as well had submitted, because I never mentioned it HAD an SF angle, HA!) is quite simply the fact that it is in space! Boy, that sounds uninteresting, but there's more behind it. I made it almost satirical, but it doesn't delve too deep in phsycological standards. And I've never read the Earthsea series, so I wouldn't know. To be honest, all of those names just POPPED into my head, and I wrote them down. They are all nonsense names constructed spur-of-the-moment.

Yes, very valuable prizes, which is why I am certain I will lose. Out of all the thousands (heck, you are a RANDOM person that is coincidentally submitting in the same quarter that I am, although I had intended on submitting LAST quarter) of people that will submit, only the better can win. I doubt HIGHLY that I'm better, but I'm giving it my best, as I'm sure you are as well. Tell me, what is "The Sword is Mightier than the Pen" about?

P.S. I hardly see it as "going up against" as though they are two cockfighters with unique strengths and weaknesses . Actually, I see it as which story "grows up." If I lose, I'll make it better and submit it again until it becomes it's potential. Chances are that it's going to lose, but I hope I find out WHY.