Page 6 of 197 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Made you shiver?

What's wrong with me? I write something I think is funny and people shiver. I write a horror and people laugh their heads off!

It started out as a writing challenge from that little Fey person over in the playroom. I scratched the story together in five minutes then blew its nose, wiped its bum and sent it out. You see... we're not wasting time over there... not really...

Well...I've been dusting off the cobwebs from Bortag's Curse, the companion novel to my Erebus Equilibrium trilogy, (which will now actually be a four-part series...when I get around to writing book 4). In the meantime, Bortag's Curse, which has been shelved on and off over the last year or so, given my busy schedule at present, is finally taking shape. The entire book has now been outlined and some story lines changed to enable the Equilibrium series to continue to its fourth book, which will be called Beloved Sons.

I'm left now with the time-comsuming task of fleshing out the remaining two-thirds of the book, and then on to editing of course. EQ Books has been eating up most of my spare time, which is great, as it's wonderful to assist new and deserving authors getting their works into print! If only I didn't have to have a real job as well to pay the bills...

In the meantime though, I bought out a new edition of my Tale Spin collection, which contained a new short story, Restless Harts (correct spelling), which is the most recent work I've finished. I have a few new short stories in concept stage, but I guess I really need to get Bortag's Curse finished first.

Disney do Tale Spins don't they... or is that Tail Spins?

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Sheep
    Made you shiver?

What's wrong with me? I write something I think is funny and people shiver. I write a horror and people laugh their heads off!
    I was going to say gave me the willies but decided that'd be a really bad pun. . It was funny. Just thought I'd let you know.

Disney do Tale Spins don't they... or is that Tail Spins?
    Disney did Tail Spins with Chip and Dale, and a few other characters including a large bloke from down your way, Sheepie.

Sorry to get off topic, just wanted to clear those up.

P.S. Hey Sheepie, send me some of you horror. I got some laughs from this one. . .Nightmare? Here Comes the Beast Again. Actually a couple laughs and one 'That was cute.' *sigh*
    Last edited by JRMurdock; June 21st, 2004 at 02:26 PM.

Hmmmm... I dunno if you'd like my horror. We're a bit rough here downunder. One is about furniture made from body parts... with lots of fleshy details and a few funnies... actually no, that one's got too many convolutions that don't work yet... and another... well no... that one probably shouldn't see the light of day.

Andromeda Spaceways are publishing my sf horror in their next issue... they've never liked my funny stories... so I'm a bit confused... but pleased that I was lucky enough to strike an editor that likes odd horror.

I think anytime you have a monster that likes to eat chihuahuas, and torture the mentally unstable, you're going to make people laugh. It is good idea tho... and almost weird enough.

Hi,

I'm working on a couple of projects at the moment. One is a crossworlds fantasy/horror/whodunnit novel that starts in Grozny, Chechnya in 1995 during the bombing of the presidential palace there. I'm only about ten pages in and I'm kind of grinding through it. I just thought I'd post anonymously to demonstrate my continued commitment to actually writing it. The other project is a short story about two guys that work in a dump. One of them is incredibly lucky and the other one is incredibly unlucky-it's kind of a noir morality tale with a really dark ending. Also, I've written five synopses with page by page plans of novels I never intend to write. I think it's a useful technique for improving my sense of plot and narrative flow.

Anyway, thanks for listening. You've been great.

Have you already read Downtown Grozny, by Mironov, Meep Meep?

Have you already read Downtown Grozny, by Mironov, Meep Meep?
    No, I haven't. I just had a look on Amazon for it, but no cigar. Is it an ebook?

I haven't been to Grozny but there's some great in depth description in 'My War Gone By, I Miss it So' by Anthony Lloyd. Actually, that's a pretty gritty book overall and I'd recommend it.

I am currently having the seventh volume of the Forgotten Legacy series edited, and I am just about finished writing the 8th and final volume of the series.

Even as the final chapters of Forgotten Legacy fall into place, I find that my mind is already beginning to focus on a sequel to the Sword of Heavens series. I wonder if anyone has coined a name for this disease yet?

They have, but it's not polite to repeat in public.

Mwahahah! I've heard of you, Mr Tuttle!

Tell us how goes business? How does it work, this full time writing? And how does it sell, this e-marketing?

They have, but it's not polite to repeat in public.

Tell us how goes business? How does it work, this full time writing? And how does it sell, this e-marketing?
    Hi Rocket Sheep.
    Writing is full time bliss for me. The only thing that beats it is spending time with the family, which is becomming increasingly difficult as my girls spread their wings. There is nothing better than getting up on the morning(?) and diving into another world filled with excitement and adventure.

As for the business end, the emarket is still in its infancy, but growth this last year has been impressive with each month setting new sales records.

Marketing is something that I do not do well, and I do not spend much time doing it. If I was good at it, I would be selling million-dollar homes instead of books, and that would be a shame because I love writing too much to spend that much time on something that wouldn't be anything more than a job.

Writing is a good thing to fit in around raising small children.

You've written so many novels, you must be generating good sales, but how many copies have you sold?

Any recognition, awards, any made into games, sold any publication rights etc by marketing this way.

Also what are your quality control processes and do you see this ever generating an income above a part time job?

Writing is a good thing to fit in around raising small children.
    Actually, my girls are no longer small. Both graduated college this Spring. I did start writing fantasy novels for them in the 90's, and it sort of blossomed into this all-consuming monster that occupies my days now.

You've written so many novels, you must be generating good sales, but how many copies have you sold?
    I am not sure that I would categorize my sales as 'good', certainly not by professional standards, but I am pleased with the response from the public. Sales are in the triple digits monthly and growing each month. When I reach a thousand per month I will be throwing a party! Want to come?

Any recognition, awards, any made into games, sold any publication rights etc by marketing this way.
    Marketing this way? Actually, I don't do marketing. In fact, I wouldn't know where to begin. I write the novels and send them off to be sold. The only marketing that gets done is word-of-mouth from readers, and that is something beyond my control. If you have ideas for marketing, I would love to hear them, but I am afraid that is a skill that is beyond me. As for recognition, I have had great reviews, and I have a fantastic rate of readers coming back for more. Typically, the sales for any book in a series are running about 80% of the sales for the first volume in the series, so I guess the trick is to get people to read the first volume of a series. I have also been listed among the highest-rated by readers at booksellers on the web, but I have not received any formal recognition, nor do I expect to receive any. I don't fancy myself as a great writer. I am more of a storyteller who tries to create a story that readers will enjoy.

Also what are your quality control processes and do you see this ever generating an income above a part time job?
    Quality control is always a problem. I have a group of readers who edit before publication, but I still find mistakes in the finished product. The nice thing about ebooks is that the text can be updated without a great deal of fuss. Theoretically, POD shoud be the same, but in practice it doesn't work as well. As for the earnings, I will continue to write full-time regardless of the earnings, but I do see a time when it will provide a nice income. The ebook market is very small right now, but it will grow tremendously. Based on the reader loyalty that I am seeing right now, I do expect to grow with the market. Here in the states we have libraries coming online with ebooks, and my books are are showing up on the most-popular lists at the libraries carrying them. It may take time, but there is nothing more pleasing to a writer than having readers that enjoy the books.

Now you have me curious. Where did you hear of me? And do I want to know what you heard? LOL

Ahhh... now that would be telling... and telling involves remembering and I may be a sheep but I have the memory of a goldfish. I just know I've heard your name and seen your site before. Let's assume it was from a fan and it was all good.

Nice to see you're confident in the e-revolution but don't be surprised if a publisher does hear of you and decide to put you in print. Some lucky writers turn traditional this way.

Plonking things on a site for sale is marketing. Max Barry (@ maxbarry.com) says he doesn't market either but he has made up a game for 'Jennifer Government' that has proved to be more addictive than his books and has attracted more buyers to his site than any other form of advertising. Now he whallops them with dollops of blog and doses of newsletters as well. What works on the net is still a bit of an unknown.

Nice to see you're confident in the e-revolution but don't be surprised if a publisher does hear of you and decide to put you in print. Some lucky writers turn traditional this way.
    While that is a nice thought, I am not going to wait around for it. Life is short, and we must make the most of it while we can. As long as my books continue to bring joy to readers, I will keep writing them and offering them up to the e-world.