Page 64 of 199 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast
    .......... ............

I feel so out of my league here.

Blog Entries
    Do...Do... and another one bites the dust!

Oracle rejected by UK publisher.

So that leaves;

Oracle on slush pile of US publisher 6 weeks and counting, by past rejection times expect the letter/email any time.

Queries out to two agents for Oracle (those forms on websites thingys) One I have almost given up on, been six weeks, so sent the other this week.

Llafn Meistr six chapter with UK agent, don't expect to hear back this side of Christmas, most likely rejection. This gent is big time and I don't think I come within a mile of some of his clients.

The Hat Man with an up and coming small press, expect to hear maybe before Christmas if they wish to read any more.

All Things Seen short story with US anthology, Touched by Wonder. fingers crossed here, it seems to match what they are looking for. Expect a reply by end of November, beginning of December.

Now toying with the idea of either sending Oracle out to another UK publisher or an agent...

Also in a fit of madness am toying with the idea of sending out Hand of Glory, two chapters and an outline..... ROFL!

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radthorne View Post
    Hopefully that was supposed to be slick cover...

Keep up with the lingo, Rad, 'Sick' means awesome!

Jeez, Hol, how many completed MS's are you sitting on?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by juzzza View Post
    Keep up with the lingo, Rad, 'Sick' means awesome!

Jeez, Hol, how many completed MS's are you sitting on?

Three novels, a good half dozen short stories, and about four flash fiction.(Though have about three maybe four half started novels that run out of steam about 10,000 words in)

Hand of Glory is my fourth novel Got two chapters fairly well edited and a solid outline, plus most research now done.

Have outlines for four more in Oracle's world. One pre-sequel, three sequels. Started pre-sequel though not more than a couple of pages.

Have outline done for sequel to Llafn Meistr, written prologue and started chapter one.

Though of late not done much writing, working extra hours at work. I do more thinking about writing than writing at present.

Ranke Lidyek

keep it up

Holbrook,
    You're kicking tail! Don't let the futility of submitting discourage you. Keep finishing projects. Most authors take years to succeed. When you do with some project, you'll have others already ready to go when they ask. A lot of the time it is fortune. The right editor reading your piece at the right time, having had the right call from a marketing weasel from a big book chain. It's hard to make a dent when the end of the funnel is so small. I still contend you should stick at it.

I believe in my novel, Her Dress is Darkness. While the series will be a chronology (with self-contained, yet overarching plot detailing different phases of a character's life), I realize that it's best to set it aside with the one novel finished and focus on an SF piece.

I am proud of my novel, but I know that it might be a difficult sell. I've had interest and was turned down by a publisher who mentioned it had strong writing and an interesting concept, but that they were taking on very little during the year. Some author told me that was code for "send it again" later on. Who knows. I'll keep trying.

I've decided to just finish novels. At this point I have two complete, one half-written, as well as two feature length movie scripts and various projects. More things plotted than I can handle, actually, but that's how it goes for most people.

The point is that I'll be sending things out there and hope maybe something will catch an eye, and that perhaps other projects will be picked up as a result. And with each book I finish, I have a new delusion to cling on to! I'm still in the "I know they can't deny this is brilliant" schtick with On Raven's Wings. Crazy, but it keeps me typing!

If not, at least I had fun writing them, and at least I am proud of more than one.

Keep writing!

In the wise words of avi morgan,

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Morgan View Post
    .......... ............

I feel so out of my league here.
    Anyway, just recently finished a historical fiction short story following the ups and downs of a WWII Merchant Marine. A literary magazine around my area has asked if they can publish it in there, and i have of course agreed.

I have about 100 Chapter one's stored in miscellaneous parts of my computer and notebook. Ideas and outlines galore. Two (for the moment) abandoned fantasy novels, and one that's going pretty well. about 20K words. I have two outlines, each with their corresponding piece of binder paper with ideas scribbled all over, that i'd really like to start writing.

But, my current project is my late entry into NaNoWriMo. Just started it last night and i have a little over 2K words in actual text, a piece of binder paper with ideas scribbled all over it, and the beginning of an outline. Going for 50K words, and completion of the story, by November 30th. Anyone else doing NaNo want to challenge me? Same username on NaNoWriMo.org if ur interested.

F*** i'm procrastinating again, aren't i.
    Muse: GET BACK TO WORK! *lashes with whip*
    Me: Yes mistress...(controlling b****)

-Kreschyboy

I'm currently around word 2940 something on my current WIP,(short story) and I'm in the process of adding another 'thread' to the story. For the surprise at the end to work, I have to lay the groundwork all throughout.

Also, am in the middle of rewriting another story, and taking off in a whole new direction in the middle.

Hey, nothing huge, but I'm having fun.

B5

Speculative Horizons Moderator JamesL's Avatar
    I've just passed the 40,000 word point on my WIP, The Ashes of Autumn.
    It's coming along nicely, you can of course keep up to date with my rants and revelations about the writing process by visiting my live jounal (see left).

Poet, Pagan, Philosopher
    On the 13th of this month, I posted several of my stories (name: Joe Dees). Please feel free to shred them to your hearts' content so that I may improve them.

AAkk, rejection number three was just another: we dont what this story ... sigh.

Hello, victim number four, something is headed your way

Awaiting The Inevitable Liathano's Avatar
    Lost somewhere in the Great Prairies of Canada
    Hang in there Dazz, hopefully one of them will pick it up.

I wish I was to that point already. I seem to have stalled out at 20,000 words. I am continuously dividing my time between research (which seems to make me alter my outline more and more), reading and thinking about what would fit better. Has anyone else encountered this type of porblem and how did you overcome it. Do you forsake accuracy for story or visa versa! The constant reshaping seems to make for a better story but should I quit over thinking and just write. . Arrrrrg

Holbrook always does well.

I'm still writing The Owl & The Eagle. If you had told me 2 years ago I'd STILL be working on it, I would have laughed in your face. Yet here I am. It's starting to actually come together strongly now, so I guess that counts for SOMETHING. Good to know people I recognize from this board are still kicking tail!

Quote Originally Posted by Liathano View Post
    Has anyone else encountered this type of problem and how did you overcome it. Do you forsake accuracy for story or visa versa!
    The easy answer is, it depends on the story. If what you are writing is in every aspect a work of fiction, you can fudge on the accuracy. If you are calling it historical fiction, you should do everything to be more accurate.

Her royal higness queenmegumi, nice to hear from you again. The first novel I wrote took about five years, including two complete rewrites. In my case I have abandoned the whole thing, and it's sitting in the back of my file cabinet, but I don't regret any of it. You learn by doing. (I'm not in any way saying you will abandon yours, or that it won't sell, I'm saying sometimes it takes a long time to write. Okay. )

Dazz--sometimes you have to deal with a lot of rejections. I was happy when I graduated from "You may want to spend some time learning the English langauge." to "Feel free to submit to us again."

Question

Speaking of progress, when is it appropriate to start submitting to an agent? How "finished" does a work have to be? Well obviously ideally it should be have a begaining and an ending (i.e. a full manuscript) that you can submit, but in terms of editing, etc. does it HAVE to be as perfect as it can be? It seems some people aren't entirely happy with their work but send it in anyway, hoping the agent/editor will like it enough to help them out with kinks as the author goes along.

I'm not sure I should send my work in yet, but admit it would give me more motivation to edit/work if I knew an agent or editor were willing to give me advice on what to add, subtract etc.

I hope this makes sense...

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by queenmegumi View Post
    Speaking of progress, when is it appropriate to start submitting to an agent? How "finished" does a work have to be? Well obviously ideally it should be have a begaining and an ending (i.e. a full manuscript) that you can submit, but in terms of editing, etc. does it HAVE to be as perfect as it can be? It seems some people aren't entirely happy with their work but send it in anyway, hoping the agent/editor will like it enough to help them out with kinks as the author goes along.

I'm not sure I should send my work in yet, but admit it would give me more motivation to edit/work if I knew an agent or editor were willing to give me advice on what to add, subtract etc.

I hope this makes sense...
    It has to be finished. Period.

And you should always make sure it is the best it can be, why send it if it isn't?

Miss Snark has stated in her blog that she instantly rejects an MS if the author mentions in the query letter that it is the first draft.

Agents don't really have the time to give advice on what to add or subtract, unless they have taken you on as a client and they won't do that if you send in half finished, or half polished work.