Page 77 of 197 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 2954
    Blog Entries
    Good luck, Juzzza, fingers crossed for you.

And well on a personal note, considering the level/quality of submissions to date I am fair chuffed....

http://www.flashspec.equilibriumbooks.com/authors2.htm

I'm psyched myself. I sent five stories in to FlashSpec and one made it in, last year I submitted one. I don't know if this might indicate a quality level adjustment on their part or mine.

Also, since I have the floor. I'm seriously considering (or attempting) changing one of my longer short stories (actually, it would be called a Novelette--9600 words) into a full novel. I just need another 25,000 or so words.

B5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBF1V3 View Post
    I'm psyched myself. I sent five stories in to FlashSpec and one made it in, last year I submitted one. I don't know if this might indicate a quality level adjustment on their part or mine.

Also, since I have the floor. I'm seriously considering (or attempting) changing one of my longer short stories (actually, it would be called a Novelette--9600 words) into a full novel. I just need another 25,000 or so words.

B5
    Well, I submitted three, and the one I didn't feel was the strongest, made it. I think Neil is looking for what he feels is the strongest story and fits his remit for the anthology. That is the bottom line with all submissions.

Blog Entries
    My short story "Jac" has made it through the first of three readings for a Gothic Romance Anthology. Fingers crossed for the second round which should be done during May.

Have two other short stories out at present, plus all three novels.

Present progess on HOG is that of a snail, but least it is going forward each week. Done only about 2000 words since I returned from Eastercon. I have the story more or less sorted out, just need to get it down on paper, where it will change and grow. I do need to get this first draft done by July.

Just wanted to mention, Hol, how much your tenacity is appreciated by those on the sidelines. You're doing all the rights things to get yourself out there, and it can at times be a terribly depressing and unforgiving road. But you show by example how it needs to be done, and the need to keep pushing the rock up the hill until you reach the pinnacle (which I have no doubt you will do). Keep up the good work!

Blog Entries
    Rad, That rock has slipped through my hands a few times and flattened me.

The strange thing is that all the stories I am sending out have been written awhile. Some submitted, rejected then edited, submitted and on. This time I seem to be hitting the mark, whether the latest edits have made them tighter and sharper, or I am getting better at targeting my market who can say. I am also feeling good about the agent that asked for the chapters of Oracle, it is the type of work she is selling. Fantasy written by females with a female lead story line... we shall see. I hope she requests the whole thing.

I've just realized that I've got ten shorts and one review out there in submission-land. But, aargh, the agent who has had the manuscript of Rosethorn for 6+ months just changed the response time guidelines on her website from six months for full manuscripts to "6 to 12 months". Jeez. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just cut bait with her. because [1] there was no notice of this lengthy and one-sided extension of time (I expect to be able to rely on the response guidelines given to me at the time that I submitted my manuscript, or at least to be consulted and/or notified that she needed an extension), and [2] the agent has not even acknowledged receiving a status-query e-mail that I sent on April 3rd (before the response guidelines were unilaterally extended). If this is the kind of responsiveness and level of courtesy that I can expect in the future, then I'm not certain if this is the agent for me. Does anyone have any similar or contrasting experiences?
    Last edited by BrianC; April 19th, 2007 at 03:20 PM.

Ranke Lidyek

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    I've just realized that I've got ten shorts and one review out there in submission-land. But, aargh, the agent who has had the manuscript of Rosethorn for 6+ months just changed the response time guidelines on her website from six months for full manuscripts to "6 to 12 months". Jeez. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just cut bait with her. because [1] there was no notice of this lengthy and one-sided extension of time (I expect to be able to rely on the response guidelines given to me at the time that I submitted my manuscript, or at least to be consulted and/or notified that she needed an extension), and [2] the agent has not even acknowledged receiving a status-query e-mail that I sent on April 3rd (before the response guidelines were unilaterally extended). If this is the kind of responsiveness and level of courtesy that I can expect in the future, then I'm not certain if this is the agent for me. Does anyone have any similar or contrasting experiences?
    Brian,
    Did she request the manuscript? If so, then email or contact her. If she does not respond, then start querying other agents and send out to them. If she cannot respond NOW, what makes you think she'll respond when/if she signs you? You may want to ask Kat to make sure. But it's certainly not fair to you to let her hang you up for a whole year.

Do you research on these agents and make sure they are a good fit? Who agented the last five novels you liked?

Don't feel bad, though. This sort of treatment is common, from what I hear. The rules of decorum only really apply to the writer. I think a part of the "cold shoulder" routine helps to make writers desperate and therefore more controllable after the fact. Stand strong and keep moving forward. In reality, they should be working for YOU.

Luck,

Ranke

Wow. A perfect thread.

I made two pages today. I was around 10,000 words into a novel using a first person perspective, but found it too limiting, so started the book again. I just found that first person was both tiresome to write and to read--the only books I've read that make it work are novels that use it in short bursts: your Adrian Moles/Bridget Jones. It takes a very good writer to make it work--Joe Lansdale makes it look far easier than it is.

Ranke Lidyek

First person

Quote Originally Posted by KidDork View Post
    Wow. A perfect thread.

I made two pages today. I was around 10,000 words into a novel using a first person perspective, but found it too limiting, so started the book again. I just found that first person was both tiresome to write and to read--the only books I've read that make it work are novels that use it in short bursts: your Adrian Moles/Bridget Jones. It takes a very good writer to make it work--Joe Lansdale makes it look far easier than it is.
    First person works well for many people and genres (particularly mysteries). Some of my favorite novels are in first person (Morningstar by David Gemmell, Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazney, Armour by John Steakley--though I might remember wrong there. I think Crow's section was first person, not sure.), but it lives and dies by the strength of the POV character's personality and observations. What I like about it is that it often forces a writer to be taut and focused in terms of plot.

That said, I applaud you for being dedicated enough to rewrite using a different approach. Oftentimes, we're afraid to take those measures. Good luck and keep plugging away.

The newest SF novel (On Raven's Wings) I'm writing is in first person, which is a radical departure from Her Dress is Darkness--a third person fantasy. There are some advantages to first person (I happen to be writing it in present tense as well). You can fragment thoughts and images and change rhythms more naturally. You can approach poetry in many respects, and it has fit my theme dealing with the nature of perception and reality. It also feels more immediate much of the time--like it's "happening" right then.

That's just my two cents, anyway!

Keep up posted on how things are moving along. It's exciting to make progress. I'm hoping to get moving again now that I'm healing from complications of an appendectomy. It's nice to be feeling better and to dive in.

Write on,

Ranke

Just finished doing the map of my current project. Now that that's done I can proceed with the the rest of my prologue which I've left to linger for a couple of months. Should be exciting to finally get it started.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Things are getting exciting now, as I gear-up for my launch end of May.

My publisher is coming over from the States for the official launch of the limited edition UK version of In the Shadows, and I have had agreement from Waterstones to hold the signing (and launch) in their store. Posters, flyers and giant play-outs of the cover are at the printers for the Waterstones window and ARCs are on their way for reviewers (Jac, yours too!)

Quote Originally Posted by juzzza View Post
    Things are getting exciting now, as I gear-up for my launch end of May.

My publisher is coming over from the States for the official launch of the limited edition UK version of In the Shadows, and I have had agreement from Waterstones to hold the signing (and launch) in their store. Posters, flyers and giant play-outs of the cover are at the printers for the Waterstones window and ARCs are on their way for reviewers (Jac, yours too!)
    Ooh, giant play-outs of the cover. I like that idea...

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Ha! I should think so!

Blog Entries
    Way to go, Juzzza!!!!

Does the Waterstones have a coffee shop?? The one my daughter used to work at did. (with sofa chairs!) it would be ideal for a more relaxed approach. Nothing worse than an author sitting behind a desk watching you approach with the book for signing. ROFL!