Page 85 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 2965
    Juzzza, the Big Kahuna on the Channel Islands!

Blog Entries
    Had the most lovely, personal rejection I have ever had (It was for Hat Man)

I honestly don't know whether to jump for joy or burst into tears. It confirms to me that I can write and write well, but I am not producing what this agent (A top door UK one) believes the publishers are looking for at the moment. They went on to give pointers, advice and examples.

As to Hand of Glory, that is plodding on, though I doubt will do any today and the weekend. Hopefully next week.

Sold a story, Innocent, to Alienskin Magazine for the Oct/Nov issue. Feels doubly good because this is the one that did not get into Flashspec II, so I'm glad that it found a home.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
    Sold a story, Innocent, to Alienskin Magazine for the Oct/Nov issue. Feels doubly good because this is the one that did not get into Flashspec II, so I'm glad that it found a home.
    Way to go Brian!!!! Superb news!!!

Congrats, Brian!

Hol, you are gettign closer and closer to that elusive yes.

Today was a very, very good day for me.

-Poem, "Smoke" accepted to be published

-WIP hit 20,000 words, and still going strong

-No response on "Shards" yet. 70-day response times are trying on nerves.

girl searching for magic
    Hi guys, its been a long time since I was last on the site, and so many things to catch up on! Congrats to all of you that have managed to get things published, its definitely given me a kick to continue writing!
    Since last on this site I've started on a new story idea, and have managed to write 25,000 words on it so far.
    Unlike other storylines, I have actually done some planning for this one, and I think it has a lot of potential. It is going really well at the moment, and the story is flowing nicely; all I have to do now is make sure I don't give up on it halfway through as I have done with other stories.
    Hopefully I will be able to get on this site more often, its a huge boost to be surrounded by people who love writing as much as you do!
    Anyway, can't stay on for long, otherwise I'll never get my story written!

Blog Entries
    Another personal rejection. This time for a flash fiction story.

They called it high quality and would love to see any other stories I have...

But there was a but as always....

You know these "personalised" rejections hit harder than the bog standard, badly printed rejection letter! lol!

As to outstanding submissions;

Oracle;

2 UK agents (sample chapters UK slush pile norm) 1 US agent query letter. 1 publisher full manuscript (slush pile submission) 1 small press (1 chapter slush pile.) 1 small press requested 5 chapters after query letter.

Hat Man;

3 US agents query letter. 1 UK publisher whole manuscript (slush pile)

Short stories.

Full Circle = considering this submission dead. I know all the held authors have been notified.

Jac = Still being held pending decision.

Giving of Aldra = still under consideration.

One flash fiction still out there....
    Last edited by Holbrook; July 30th, 2007 at 01:16 AM.

My current WIP has been in the plotting and research phase for about a month and a half now, and it's been quite a pain in the ass to find time to do all this research. It's been very tempting to just say screw the research and start writing, but I've promised myself that I will have all my detailed plotting and major research done before I ever put pen to paper, and I don't intend to let myself break that promise.

I hope to get the last of my major research done within the next two weeks, and then will come the significant world building and plot outlining phase. Wish me luck.

author:chroniclesofsoone James Somers's Avatar

Smile

Hey guys, cool thread.

My current work in progress is a young adult fantasy titled A WORLD WITHIN. To see the short story preview which has been recently accepted to an upcoming fantasy anthology CLICK HERE: A WORLD WITHIN.

I'm nearing completion of the first novel in this planned trilogy, which has a sort of NARNIA-esque feel to it (but only if you were trying to categorize it). I'm filling it with as many cool character types as possible including: dragons, griffins, cyborgs, pirates, Elves, Cherubs, giant spiders, Big Cats, Elemental Warriors, shapeshifters called "Wils", and Death himself, among others.

My other projects include one Sci-fi fantasy novel published by an independent publisher "Breakneck Books" and the second book in this "Chronicles of Soone" series is currently under review with several Christian publishers including BETHANY HOUSE which has requested the full manuscript for review.

I have one other series: PERDITIONS GATE which has one finished novel and the other plotted out. I'm waiting to move further with this Christian action/thriller until I know whether Chronicles of Soone is going to be published with one of these christian publishers.

I've got plotting that needs to be done on the third "Chronicles of Soone" and the second "A World Within" novel--once I finish the first, that is.

I'm the type who bare bones plots and then organizes each scene once I get to it. It might even take me in a different direction than planned. I try to let the scenes dictate where they should go and what will happen next so that it flows better and doesn't seem forced. As long as I get to the desired ending or find a new more desirable ending, it works for me.

James

girl searching for magic

Talking

Back again, and so soon after my last post. Whew, amazing! Won't last long though, I'll probably end up only posting once a month or something.
    Anyway, progress report.

My fantasy novel is still going well, I got 10 pages written yesterday and finished off another chapter! Yippee!!! (It helps that I'm home sick from school with no homework=>).

I have planned a few more chapters out in more detail, and hope to get lots done today (still really sick and feeling horrible, so off school for one more day. Darn! Lots to catch up on when I do go back to school!). I have also gotten a few more ideas for the books that follow this one, and so am feeling really excited. Hope writing's going well for you guys (and ladies) as well.

Holbrook -- don't give up. There's bound to be a "home run" in there somewhere. (feel free to exchange british equivalent.)

Shane -- I could never keep that promise.

Elspeth -- good work.

Hey James Sommers, it looks like you have a lot going on.

Me? Glad you asked. Last night I hit 40K in my current WIP. -Have a round on me.- I even know how it ends now.

This is actually my third novel. In two words, the first one was awww-ful. The second got bogged down in rewrites, mostly because I changed the name of one of my characters, three times. So far so good on this one.

B5

www.questwriter.blogspot. flightmom's Avatar
    I'm working on the first book of a fantasy series (untitled). I'm into the 9'th chapter by pen and the 8'th by computer.

I'm in the middle of applying for a grant and have just received notice that I have my second reference person (a published author)! Hurray!

I am critiquing a chapter a week for a friend, and 200 words per week on critters.org-tiring but fun. I learn lots too.

I wrote a prologue this week for my story. A good descision, I think.

And...I'm off to bed so I can write tomorow.

Talking Kudos from the editor!

I just got my MSS back from the editor, and here is what she had to say about my novel:

"...excellent, truly wonderful book, a real pleasure to work with."

"This was an extremely well written manuscript, without too much in the way of errors; other than minor punctuation ones and simple spelling mistakes.

"The story was truly excellent, a really good read, with just about everything a book could need; the romance, and unrequited love is the foundation; but suffering on all levels, and from all characters, in one way or another, really builds into a very good story. The initial chapters where Cullen is first introduced makes the reader wonder if it will become "another Harry Potter" story; where the boy becomes a wizard, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Then when you realize that the boy is not going to get any pleasant birthday surprise, and the way you have changed it, yes, he does become a wizard, but in a totally different way; that's an instant attraction for the reader, and really pulls them in. I can't think of anything negative to say at all, and I am hoping you have written/ will write Book 2. Will they meet again? What happens to Cullen, Maddy, April and Max? Oh, and Moody, he's such a sweet man. If you haven't already, please start writing, you have a great talent.

"In summary, it was a pleasure to edit your book and I wish you well with this project."

I would love for anyone to read the first 3 chapters and give me their thoughts!

And my "critique" thread here.

Just started my new science fiction story.

Kinda new to writing, I posted the beginning on here but I've got next to no critique. If you guys could help out, go to this link..

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17501