Thread: Doctor Who

Doctor Who

Any Whovians in the audience???

somebody's gotta reply I 'spose.
    Eh, I wouldn't say I'm fanatical about it
    more like I appreciate it. It was re-run over here last year for a long time, I was unemployed for a while and Dr. Who was an absolute ritual for me during my hectic and
    eventful days.
    With John Pertwee( I know there were others)
    , and that sexy blonde 60's chick what was her name (Ms. Grant?). The plots were often good, especially for the time, and the Tardis was a lot more descrete than the Enterprise. The master, man, was he evil, the moustache did it I think. The theme music is excellent (I wan't to buy an old Theremin)but the actual music thru-out the show is BAD! Effects 2, they were bad, but I still remember a time when you could get away with bad effects.
    Dr. Who indeed!

I like Dr. Who, good BBC TV sci-fi, but I'm not a fanatic. I'm not a fanatic about really anything.

I think my favorite 'Who' girls were the stewardess (the one who left the Doctor carrying the plant, the little petite brunette, the one who was with him when the Dr. was working with UNIT) and the warrior savage "Leela"(sp).

I liked the episode where the Doctor found Leela and her tribe, descendants of the crashed space ship, where the guy was dancing around with the 'disruptor' like it was a holy artifact and the Dr. told him "You better hope that thing doesn't have a charge in it or you'll blow us all up." or something like that.

Campy, some of the creatures really were 'man in a rubber suit', but some of the stuff was creepy and thought provoking. I liked the 'keys' mini-series where they had to track down the three or four keys to stop some galactic catastrophe (can't remember), but it was the one with the refinery being attacked by the giant squid, etc.

I also thought that the sonic screwdriver and the (neat) K9 unit were a little too 'readily available' to 'save the day'. Kind of like the transporter and the mysterious 'neutrino' in Star Trek, where depending on the week and episode, they were either going to have problems with the transporter and need a stream of neutrinos to get them out of trouble, or they were having problems with streams of neutrinos and going to need the transporters to get them out of trouble.

Good series. I like Tom Baker the *BEST*, after that, it kind of went downhill. I really liked the Fox TV remake of Dr. Who and was hoping it would be a series, but it wasn't. That one stared Eric Roberts as "The Master".

i love doctor who.
    especially today's version with david tennant.

First look at Matt Smith in the new costume. Nice change-up from Tennant's trench coat, and it make Smith look a little older.

Gentleman and Scholar Wulfa_Jones's Avatar
    New Who looks interesting. Whilst I was a big fan of David Tennant, I look forward to see this new Doctor. Still disappointed that, at least from the look fo things, his new assistant is again from contemporary times.

Lots more little/unclear spoilers at: http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/

but to ramble and summarise....

Spoiler:
    A rebuilt TARDIS (now suitable for HD). New sonic screwdriver design. Return of Alex Kingston as River Song. And as pointed out at blogtorwho, the ruins of the ship in these shots have the name Byzantium on them and during River Song's first appearance last season she asks the Doctor "Crash of the Byzantium, have we done that yet?" However, with the character being handcuffed and seemingly threatening the Doctor in one scene... will she turn out to the a goodie or a badie? Also seems to have a costume change... from military uniform to some sort of dress. I'm thinking maybe she's a Time Lordess? Would explain a lot...

End of ramble. Getting quite excited about it now... a year without Who has been a great disappointment. Torchwood nearly made up for it and looking forward to November or whenever the Waters of Mars is on.

Funny that we are resurrecting a topic begun nearly ...

wait for it...

no

really

wait

for

it

A DECADE AGO

when there's some more current and active discussion on the good Doctor:

Doctor Who: Season 4/30
    Doctor Who - OMG! It's true! It's true!
    New New Doctor.... New Doctor Who, Second Season[SPOILERS!]
    Questions about Season 1 Doctor Who finale