Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality TV

Reality TV

I watch Survivor every week and don't think it's too bad, but for the last two days i've been watching Big Brother and it's really, really terrible. What do you guys think of Reality TV? and Big Brother?

Personally, I think it all sucks. Just throwing really annoying people together to see what happens isn't entertaining, IMHO.

It all started with MTV's Real World.

[This message has been edited by FitzFlagg (edited April 25, 2001).]

A servant of Lord Arioch FitzChivalry's Avatar
    Survivor is good, the rest of the reality shows that i've seen aren't really fun.

It seems to be getting a big audience though. I most people are like me and don't like it but watch it anyway because they're curious.

I want them to start making the "Running man" sort of reality TV. That would really piss off the censors.

These shows are tedious and boring, and are just a way of making money from VERY cheap shows, because there's no denying that for some obscure reason, people love this stuff.
    I also object to the term "reality TV". the minute you put cameras in front of people, they'll never act REAL. so it's a pretentious concept, too.

[This message has been edited by lior (edited April 26, 2001).]

Cheap?
    It's hardly cheap to fly 16 people to Australia, film them for more than a month, a million dollars prize money plus all the prizes for winning challenges. It isn't cheap.
    And it is more real than anything else, of course people will modify their behaviour in front of the camera, but at least their behaviour isn't written by screenwriters that you saw their usual reoutines a thousand times before.
    I admit that the inner-social nuances can sometimes fly right above certain people, maybe that's why you find it tedious and boring.

Sometimes it interesting to see how all the annoying people on these shows will react to all the other annoying people.

As for the reality factor, these shows air weeks or months after they are actually shot on camera. One word: Editing

We had Big Brother in the U.K and it was truly awful. It was so boring! The contestants were acting phoney and as nice as can be to win the price, there was no real desire for a 'social experiment' behind it, which is sad as there are so many possibilities to create a fascinating social study using a simialar situation.

In the end the show just became boring, the contestants would lay about all day until the time for the weekly task came when they would be active for a day then it was sunbathing for the rest of the week.

The contestants would not hold to their true character, it was all one huge act, not reality T.V in the end.

The saddest thing was that there was a barrage of my school friends hooked. The topic of nearly every conversation was who will be thrown out this week.

I'm also thinking of conducting a small test amongst these people to see how many fifteen year olds realise that Big Brother was something from a novel and not something made for the T.V show. I wonder how many would be correct?

We had Big Brother in the U.K and it was truly awful. It was so boring! The contestants were acting phoney and as nice as can be to win the price, there was no real desire for a 'social experiment' behind it, which is sad as there are so many possibilities to create a fascinating social study using a simialar situation.

In the end the show just became boring, the contestants would lay about all day until the time for the weekly task came when they would be active for a day then it was sunbathing for the rest of the week.

The contestants would not hold to their true character, it was all one huge act, not reality T.V in the end.

The saddest thing was that there was a barrage of my school friends hooked. The topic of nearly every conversation was who will be thrown out this week.

I'm also thinking of conducting a small test amongst these people to see how many fifteen year olds realise that Big Brother was something from a novel and not something made for the T.V show. I wonder how many would be correct?

In the amount it costs to make a one hour drama episode, you could make ten "survivor" chapters. it's cheap in relevance to fiction tv production.

Big Brother is meant to be live. That's probably why it's so bad because they don't have enough time to edit it and make it interesting. As for the social experiment, I think we're the ones that are being experimented on. The TV companies are all seeing how much crap they can shove down our throats before we finally stop watching poor quality programs. Although this experiment might have been going on since Television was invented....

What makes a good television? Entertainment is a major factor, if it entertains me i don't give a damn if it educates me too or open my mind to new things or whatever.
    And Survivor entertains..
    The other reality shows i find boring, but that's just me, and if other people find them interesting i can't say it's crap.
    Even shows on Discovery or National Geographic that i watch a lot and have "value" i wouldn't be watching if they didn't have a factor of entertainment for me, i only watch the shows that interest me.
    So who are you to decide for other people which show is good and which is bad?
    If it made you forget your shitty day at work for 30 minutes, that's enough.

[This message has been edited by FitzChivlary (edited April 27, 2001).]

I think the appeal has something to do with seeing other people get into arguments and have bad days making you feel better about your own day.
    Personally I watch survivor not because it's particularly good but because I've watched it from the beginning and I feel like I know all the people and I wanna see who wins.
    Some of the stuff was pretty dramatic i'll admit, like when that Mike guy fell into the fire.
    I was really shocked by that. I reckon He would have won. Part of the fun is arguing with you friends about who you think will end up winning.

With Big Brother only been on TV for just over two weeks here in Australia I have to say I love it!
    Why?
    I dont know.
    Maybe it has tapped into some hidden part of my brain that enjoys this type of voyeurism.
    Which is strange because I hate all other"Reality TV",and I dont watch that much TV anyway.
    I see most of it over the net LIVE and after a while I try to leave but I can not turn away.
    Yes I don need help,so send money now.

Anyone here started watching BOOT CAMP.
    Haha! Being a fan of Stanly Kubricks Full Metal Jacket I find this show hilarious.