Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

The Day after Tomorrow

I went into this movie thinking I wouldn't like it and was pleasently surprised .

It was a pretty powerful movie imo and well worth a looksee. The one thing I could have done without though was the blatant dig at Bush after the LA storm.

Also I didn't know the statue of liberty was built so strongly .

Anyway i'd give it 9 outa 10 on my scale.

I was thinking about seeing this, now I will if Cal likes it so much.

Dig at Bush? I could go into a long rant on political/moral messages in films, but I'm tired, and the mods probably wouldn't like it....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I there are plenty of films that have political messages etc and the strong enviromental message in this movie didn't bother me but the Bush thing was imo a personal attack and in quite frankly i'm getting sick of it all. It's everywhere!(cept here ofcourse)

mb i'm just paranoid.
    Last edited by Caldazar; May 27th, 2004 at 06:12 AM.

Well, maybe a little, but I'm fairly certain that view won't be so paranoid in the near future.....

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    I just saw the movie, and while I did enjoy it I do have one major issue.

Now, I will throw away all scientific mumbo jumbo to the wind to enjoy a movie, and you kinda have to on this one. And, I did love the 'Enviromental' message the movie sent out.

But..

My Pick..

Which really annoys..

And a Spoiler ahead..

When they decide to stay in the library, they make the decision to use the books as fuel. HELLO!?!?!??!!? There in the library. Every shot had wooden tables, wooden chairs, wooden desks, wooden floor, wooden doors, wooden book shelves.. And they think they oughta just burn the books? WOOD BURNS! My god, how could they not burn the wood?

Everything was fine, because, well, it's a movie, it entertains.. but, WOOD BURNS!

Argh.

Small note, most likely the people of Canada all survived that major storm. Why? Well, we know that wood burns!

Keyoke

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyoke
    Small note, most likely the people of Canada all survived that major storm. Why? Well, we know that wood burns!

Keyoke
    Perhaps they did not understand that a library had other uses than going in to use the free internet connections? You see they understood wooden chairs were important because you sat on them to watch the TV and play computer games....

spoiler;

#

#

#

I liked the idea that the Royal Family froze

WOOD BURNS! My god, how could they not burn the wood?
    I had the same thought. Maybe the furniture had been coated with something which would make burning it harder. Or something...

Hey, did you also know that cold can't come through doors?

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Really? I didn't know that. Why can't it?? Explain it to us, Mr. Science Guy!

Keyoke

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwing
    Hey, did you also know that cold can't come through doors?
    What about the gap between the door and the floor?
    What if you haven't got a draft excluder?

Really? I didn't know that. Why can't it?? Explain it to us, Mr. Science Guy!

Keyoke
    Why, it's not science, sir! It's pure common sense! See, doors are built to keep things out. No matter what the "things" are.
    Last edited by Blackwing; June 9th, 2004 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwing
    Why, it's not science, sir! It's pure common sense! See, doors are built to keep things out. No matter what the "things" are.
    Unless the door is completely sealed and air tight, cold can easily get through. A wooden door itself can keep out the cold because wood is an insulator but all it takes is a breeze to let in the cold air through the cracks.

I know that, NeverMore. I live in the Frozen North, Finland. I was just trying to give a break to the film writers.

I also like the movie.
    I have to say, what intrigued me was the potential for a sequel.

Probably not a movie though. Perhaps a quality book.

I was wondering about the political implications of a "once" super power now deposed of its land and resources.

How would the government rectify this situation. Would the US government eventually move to subjagate the mexican govt?
    Would the Mexican govt eventually attempt to impose its will on the now vulnerable US sovereignty?

Good questions that may make a decent book.

IMO

I liked it, but it wasn't great or anything. The special effect were really cool though!! The overall story wasn't that interresting and kind of old.

The environmental message was ok i guess, it's just that I don't agree with the cuase for global warming most people warn you about. Doesn't the earth warm up and cool down as it doesn't go around the sun in an equal circle? So you get an ice age and after the coldest peak in that age, it starts warming up again. The last ice age was about 20.000 years ago. So now we are just getting to the point where the earth is getting really warm, after which, I think it will cooldown again. In another couple of (tens of) thousand years people will be going around warning for global freezing !! ( If Greenpeace saves it's document carefully, hopefully they too will see the irony )
    To set my point I don't think cutting back on toxic fumes and all that sort of things will change the process of global warming much, although ofcourse it's still a worthy cuase to fight for.

So that's probably why the movie wasn't all that great to me.

BTW, I think books burn better then wood (the furnished kind anyway). Because it's made from different thin pieces of burnable material, oxygen can easily get between the pages. I'm not sure though, just seems logical to me .

I have to say I disagree Tay.

If the sun is getting closer to earth every year, then it will increase earth's tempature.
    So once we get close enough to the sun, snow probably want stay on the ground for maybe more than 30 seconds ( opinion of course), but logically when we reach the colder side of the sun it will be impossible for another ice age ( even a scientist who watched the movie and agreed with the ice age impossible thing) due to the fact that the sun will still warm the earth, making the ice melt soon after it gathers.

Unless something big like somehow an giant meteor somehow manages to knock earth off orbit we may expierence a dramatic tempature change.

But if every things goes as they are now with the world, I would think that by 2075 earth would be in its 100*F every summer almost eveyr day.

It really makes me depressed to think about the future of the world, but I say it is not my judgement to determine its fate or future.