Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chronicles of Riddick

I really enjoyed Pitch Black (just rented it again as a refresher..and to copy it) and though this movie looks like it veers quite sharply away from the original, it looks very, very cool. One of the best things about Riddick is that he's an anti-hero, something Hollywood doesn't do much (note: I haven't seen every movie), it's mostly either good guys with some vigilante in them, or bad guys that do bad stuff, but not horrid stuff, so you still like them, Riddick, though, does good things, but usually only because they serve some purpose for him, which will be interesting to see how that works in this movie. The Sci-Fi Channel is doing an in-depth look at it this Wed., which should be cool as they have interviews with the cast and crew and get to see more previews. Anyway, definitely looks like this is a movie I'm going to dig.

I saw a trailer on Monday when I went to see Troy....sorry, I got distracted there remembering the fine display of men. Anyway, I thought it looked awful. I have never seen a Vin Diesel film, as I am too chicken to watch Pitch Black,and the others looked a bit pants. The chronicles did not look like it had much in the way of plot. And Dame Judy in a sci fi flick...that's just odd. (she wasn't one of the ladies in Dune was she?!)

All that said. I'd be interested to know what the general view is.

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    I'm anxious to see it though it does have the possibility of being a 'Battlefield Earth' with lots of effects, big name actors, and little plot.

And Pitch Black really wasn't that scary. It was good, but predictable.

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I thought Pitch Black was pretty good, one of the best SF films I've seen. (that isn't saying much of course). Still, an SF movie which gets my overall rating of 7 out of 10 is rare. I saw an early trailer for CoR and it actually looks better; what were these humongous statues we saw?

Yes, I'm quite looking forward to this one.

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    The humungous statues, if I'm interperting correclty, are monuments on worlds these people are destorying.

Blog Entries
    I've had my appetite whetted for ages by the trailers....never heard of the first one, "Pitch Black," would I need to see it first to understand everything?

Future suicide victim
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldanuumea
    I've had my appetite whetted for ages by the trailers....never heard of the first one, "Pitch Black," would I need to see it first to understand everything?

Probably not. The movie was sorta like Aliens/Starship Troopers. Not much in terms of storyline. We are introduced to Riddick who is a criminal/prisoner on board the ship. People just found his character really cool I guess, which is why they made this new movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Quagmire
    Probably not. The movie was sorta like Aliens/Starship Troopers. Not much in terms of storyline. We are introduced to Riddick who is a criminal/prisoner on board the ship. People just found his character really cool I guess, which is why they made this new movie.
    I sort of guessed it was a vehicle for Vin Diesel.

David Twohy's films are a guilty pleasure for me. A identify him in the same lineage of b-movie directors as John Carpenter. I enjoyed Pitch Black, despite the fact that it was a little formulaic and the riddled with dodgy science - a planet with three suns would be torn a part by gravity; and creatures like that really would not evolve on a planet with such conditions. I liked the fact it wasn't just Americans in space with the haj and all. I also enjoyed Below, which was a well structured ghost story on a WWII submarine. I'll certainly see Riddick but I'm nervous -- this is Twohy's first big budget movie and I'm hoping he doesn't loose some of the elements I liked in his earlier low budget, "b-movie" efforts.

I decided to be brave and watch Pitch Black which I thoroughly enjoyed. Will be interested to see how the Chronicles of Riddick compares. Big Budget does not usually equal any good though.... And I can see the original idea running out of steam pretty quickly.

I dunno, part of riddick's appeal in Pitch Black was that he was this killer with creepy eyes, nothing too special, just some violent dude who winds up stranded in the middle of nowhere, in this movie they've got him (in the trailer at least) in the middle of some huge pogrom, swinging on ropes in front of walls of fire and such like, I dunno, it seems like they yanked him completely out of his idiom or something, if that makes sense. I just have doubts that he'll work in the middle of an epic sort of storyline. whatever, my buddy's gone to see it tonight, I'll pick his brain about it .

Registered as What?

The Word IS...DUMB!

Not even the special effects could save this very dumb movie. For a group of super powerful invaders, The Necromongers were a sad lot. This prophecy of the last Fury, made me cringe in my seat. Dame Dench was wasted as the air elemental seeress, Vin Diesel gave his normal one note performance and the rest,fah!

I was in the mood for a dumb movie, but not this dumb! The names of the planets were a hoot! Cremortia(sp?) sounded like some type dehydrated coffee creamer. In these type of cowboy movies, I don't expect alot sense, but at least, stay consistant.

Riddick suddenly had the ability to calm a raging beast, which I understand was suppose to be some type of joke or something. The final fight between Riddick and the Field Marshall was weak and drawn out. Maybe I should stop watching these SFX movies and stick with more 'real' movies, though not before I see Spiderman 2 !

Haven't seen the movie, and I thought Pitch Black was good but far from great.

One good thing to come out it though is a very game. One of the best movie-to-game adaptions for some time.

Actually, the best if you go by some magazines. Xbox Mag gave it a 9 something, which is unheard of for movie-game. I'll probably pick it up when I return my Python films.

Quote Originally Posted by Priestvyrce
    Not even the special effects could save this very dumb movie !
    I knew it!!!! Pah, big budgets = no one bothering with the script or plot. So I won't bother watching it on the big screen!

Well, just got back from seeing it, and I thought it was awesome. The Necromongers had a really cool visual style to them, Jack/Kyra was really hot, the fights were awesome, and it was overall just really, really cool. I was entertained, so I didn't really care about the lacking plot or whatnot, it's not like I expected it to be some groundbreaking classic or something. Anyway, I hope they make another one.