Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldanuumea
    I've had my appetite whetted for ages by the trailers....never heard of the first one, "Pitch Black," would I need to see it first to understand everything?
    I think you would enjoy Pitch Black over Chronicles, Big E.

I thought Chronicles was ok. Good mindless fun. I did like the characters of Krya and Riddick. The villians were blah, however.

I really liked this movie - it was cool - I only just watched Pitch Black so I knew the details of it before going and seeing Riddick and it was worth it just for those awesome ships and armour - I mean how awesome did they look - that and Karl Urban was in it so I was happy

It's true that it is good mindless fun

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not out here in the UK for a few more weeks yet, but I understand that this has done very badly in the US - not quite as bad as Catwoman, but still very bad. I understand that there are plans for a trilogy, though whether that now happens I would think is under debate. I have a feeling it won't even make up the money on DVD sales, though I could be wrong.

According to the latest SFX Magazine there were people who walked out of the press screening; they tried to give it a good review, but couldn't. (If you were looking at target audience I guess they would be them!)

The TV adverts are doing some heavy rotation here - looks very Dune-ish to me, but far too much CGI and dodgy dialogue for my liking; Judi Dench looks very out of place.

Though I thought the original Pitch Black here was OK, it was very much done on the cheap, and no more than that. (Mono's summed up my view quite nicely, I think.) They've rereleased the DVD here to tie in with the new movie and included the first 9 minutes of the new film as an extra. Not sure if this trend is a good thing or a bad thing myself.

Looking forward to The Village and HellBoy more myself - even Sky Captain, so may give this one a miss...

Hobbit
    Mark

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ....but I've managed to find a positive review here so I thought I'd pass it on. MAY BE SPOILERS there though.

Hobbit
    Mark

Haven't seen the film yet, wondering if I should out of principle; show my support for the space-opera and general sci-fan genre. If Riddick isn't "all of that" (as we say down t' hood) maybe at least the trend of making genre films will continue and somebody will make a good 'un.

A little theory about why some of these films fall down. It's the music! The laboured classical instrumental stuff affects the vibe of the film. You wouldn't hear that kind of stuff in Pitch Black. Not just the music but what it represents, the weightiness, the pretension...

I liked Pitch Black, and I thought the mentions of Mercs, Brigs, and a rather grotty universe in general were good concepts for further movies to elaborate upon (never suspected it would come to pass but).

Perhaps though Pitch Black worked for its understatement. I'll probably rent Riddick when possible in the meantime...

If you offer a penny for my thoughts and I put my two cents in, where did the other penny come from? But, I digress.
    I liked Pitch Black. I found myself yelling at the TV . . ."Run! Hide! Wait, No, not in THERE!" The characters that lived for very long ended up being not what they appeared to be. I'll take low budget any day, it forces the producers to be creative.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    I resisted going to the cinema for Chronicles, instead I waited for the DVD.

I now wish I had seen it at the flicks as I really enjoyed it.

Massive sets and SFX, I loved the necromancers props and wardrobe and thought Diesel played the indestructible, macho, hero well. Not as bleak or intriguing as Pitch Black but good, solid fun.

I really hope that they make a sequel, now that Riddick is in charge... LOL, where will they take that?

Hey juzzz, did it not seem as though they'd made him the sci-fi Conan by the end there?

Yes! Especially they way he sat in the throne, very Conanesque.

Narcoleptic Insomniac
    Sorry that I didn't read the whole thread starting months ago, but I have some news.

Riddick has been picked up for 3 (!) more films. Pitch Black and CoR are going to be prequels to the Riddick Trilogy.

Sounds good to me!

I can't dig up the info now, but IIRC, I read it online somewhere (not just from some random forum guy either).

I'll try and find it for those of you that need proof!

EDIT: How's this sound - http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/n...?news_id=16084
    Last edited by Drew; December 23rd, 2004 at 04:14 PM.

Yes!!!

Bring it on, I'm looking forward to it.

Even though I thought it was enjoyable, it would be even better if they take on board some of the critiscism for CoR and make the trilogy the Sci Fi equivalent of LoTR.

That'd be good.

EDIT:

I just read the article, are we reading the same thing? It says that Pitch Black is the prequel and CoR is the first of the trilogy, the second will focus on the Underverse and the third, Riddick's return to his home planet. It also states that whilst the Director and Diesel are keen on the trilogy idea, there has been no greenlight from the studios as yet.
    Last edited by juzzza; December 24th, 2004 at 05:57 AM.

I like both Pitch Black and the Chronicles. Riddick is a great character.

I finally got round to seeing this movie and loved it. IMO it was better than Pitch Black and the reviews it got (which weren't great) didn't do it justice. I thought Vin Diesel was much more in character and played the role far better.

Just one question: Was it originally a book?

The problem with always thinking you are right about things is that when you are wrong, you are really really wrong.

Watched this over the weekend - I loved it. I pretended not to notice the obviously stupid bits (the whole Crematoria bit, not even I as a deeply non scientist person could believe that whole scene), but other than that, it was great!! Riddick was great, Dame Judi too, and noone mentioned bloke in Lord of the Rings, Rider of Rohan bloke whose name I have obviously forgotten. Anyway, it was great fun!

I did wonder what else they could do with these films - I figured a trip to his home planet would be the most obvious move. What are they called again? I keep thinking he is from a race of Freesians which quite clearly cannot be right