Thread: The Village

Registered as What?

The Village

I just got back from seeing this wonderfully sedate, yet chilling movie. As I watched the events unfold, I was reminded of several fantasy novels(I'll get to that later) and fairy tales. I'm sure that many of you have read the reviews and this is not one, well in a way yes, but not like you would get in your papaer.

I was pulled into the deception of it all, the village, the creatures, the people. Ivy Walker, the heroine of the piece(if there is one), is blind, yet sees more than most. I see Ivy as a symbol of man's willingness to be blind, yet still see what is what. As the movie goes along things that at first, you ignored, can no longer be ignored. One, the houses are WAY too clean and well built, the villagers are too clean, everything is too pristine and after Ivy completes her journey. You understand why. When the final deception is uncovered, I didn't go , wow or I knew it, but I felt a sadness for the people of the village. There willingness to BE decieved might come off as pathetic, but truely I heard the calling of shattered souls.

I recommend this movie and hope that all will go see it.

[spoil] It is ALL a lie, everything![/spoil]

Frosty The Snowman... Frostmourne's Avatar
    Reading your spolier makes me want to see this movie more. I'm seeing it tommorow, and I'll fight my way through the hordes of Shyamalan fans with a shovel if I have to.

Hehe, tommorow is starting to look pretty cool.

Thumbs up I think I've guessed the ending anyway Priestvyrce

and I think that well read genre fans will have a pretty good inking BUT I am itching to see the film. MNS is a true master - my daughter and I rave about him often over the phone...

She was only about 15 when she first saw the 6th Sense and Unbreakable - I remember how she blew me away talking about the directors use of colour to presage anxiety or foreshadow events. It was also Tiff who pointed out to me (cos I'm a bit slow sometimes! ) the fact that the colours grow stronger through the course of Unbreakable, warmth slowly creeps in... (shucks, I'm such a proud mum! )

So the Village is a must see - then I get the double joy of a mum-daughter review afterwards!

Cheers
    Funky

Blog Entries
    I saw it last night. The acting was superb, it covered the holes in the script and made you believe for a little while.

Thoughts on it;

You can't run or hide from "reality" or rather pain, because hiding often brings about pain and what can destroy fear, one thing love...

It is not a horror story, it is a love story. About what love can do and make an individual do and what the destruction of those we love can force you to want to do, hide...

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I thought it was an incredible cop-out. Probably the biggest theatre disappointment of the year.

Unbreakable - gets better the more I see it.

Signs - love that film. Love it.

Sixth Sense - the twist thru me sideways, a great film.

The Village - gutted. What a disappointment. Strangely, I even guessed the end simply thru reading the (mixed) reviews. When the 'twist' turned up both me and my girlfriend sat there with looks of disdain on our faces.

But, that's all just personal opinion and a lot of my friends really enjoyed it.

Solaar
    judge for yourselves

I didn't like it. It was very slow-moving and dull movie. The actors played well and it was a beautiful movie, but hollow.

I was deeply disappointed, and I challenge what you say Priestvyrce, as the only people to be deceived had no real choice in the matter. I don't think that what the story was eventually about was explored enough, and I certainly could not understand how it could be left at that. My whole issue with the film was the plot, and the twist was a) annoyingly obvious b) deeply dissatisfying. I would write more but I can't figure out where the spoiler tag is.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    I liked it, but I kept expecting a supernatural twist at some point. I felt a little let down by the ending but I think the tension in the first half of the movie was really good. The creatures were VERY creepy.

I liked the premise of the deception, but agree that they could have explored this theme with much more depth, for example, if those being deceived had found out, how would they feel and how would they have reacted? I would have been much more satisfying if they all knew the truth and decided (or not) to keep it going for future generations.

I was half expecting the belief to manifest the horror for real, sadly my belief, didn't manifest that in the movie.

I still like Night's style, despite the lack of the supernatural in this example, his characters are written well and I have really enjoyed every movie he has made. I think The Village will be looked back upon in future years as underrated.

You kinda have to know what to expect going into a Night movie. I really enjoy how Night uses music in his films and makes things suspenseful in ways that are somewhat uncharacteristic. The Village was ok as a movie, but Shyamalan's style was def evident. I don't think I would see it again, but it was somewhat entertaining when I did see it.

I just rented this, might watch it tonight. I've heard the 'twist' is really easy to guess though.