Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kelley Armstrong

Has anyone read this authors books?

I think they would fall into the horror section. I've only read Bitten, but quite enjoyed it

I picked up Dime Store Magic by her, but haven't read it yet. I liked the cover and the content reminded me of Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking (which was good but yet another Anita Blake wanna be). I didn't get Bitten cause I don't like werewolves - though a friend read it and said it was good.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FicusFan
    I picked up Dime Store Magic by her, but haven't read it yet. I liked the cover and the content reminded me of Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking (which was good but yet another Anita Blake wanna be). I didn't get Bitten cause I don't like werewolves - though a friend read it and said it was good.
    Depending on what you didn't like about werewolves, you might actually like this one.

I would have classified KA's books as more modern fantasy rather than Horror, but I know that is were the local bookstore has shelved them, so who am I to question them!

Stolen is the second part of Elena and Clayton's story (the werewolves). The link leads to the author's site, where you can view a preview (prologue and first chapter) of the book.

The third book is Dime Store Magic (where they started to change the cover art, unless you are in Canada, and they changed the entire format of the book *shakes fist*, but at least they re-released them so they all match now). This is a story about Paige (whom you meet in Stolen), and Industrial Magic
    continues her story. While you may hate Paige with a burning passion in Stolen, you will most likely change your mind about her in these two books. We all (I used to be a member of Kelley's online community) complained about the next book being about Paige, but in the end we loved it just as well.

Haunted is the fourth book in the series, from the point of view of Eve, whom you also met in Stolen. This is one of the most interesting books, IMO, as it's written from a ghost's point of view.

The next book out is Broken (due in May 2006, in Canada and possibly the USA) which returns to Elena the werewolf, as well as some other minor characters that you meet in Stolen. I am looking forward to this book with about as much anticipation as I could for any book (save A Feast For Crows). I will definitely be picking it up as soon as I can, and devouring it in one sitting.

Over all, I love Kelley's work. She is so dedicated to her fans, that she lets them run crazy on her message board, she writes online novella's with new chapters every month, she runs an online book club, has contests all the time, and so many extras on her website. You can find her here.

We've got a great topic over in the Fantasy forum focusing on "modern fantasy," as you name it, Katya. You might want to check it out and perhaps add some thoughts or look into some of the books mentioned there.

Here's the topic: Supernatural Fantasy: Ghosts, Vampires, Werefolk and Wizards

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B
    We've got a great topic over in the Fantasy forum focusing on "modern fantasy," as you name it, Katya. You might want to check it out and perhaps add some thoughts or look into some of the books mentioned there.

Here's the topic: Supernatural Fantasy: Ghosts, Vampires, Werefolk and Wizards
    Thanks Rob, apparently, I have an opinion on that (who knew? ).

Thumbs up Kelly Armstrong

i only like the pack stories with elena and clay - i have tried the witchy ones with paige but it wasn't my thing
    a brand new book - broken - has only just been released with the main character elena being pregnant - however, i found the book lacking it's usual humour and really missed elena's careless nature
    but the ending was cute, and a bit sad - but i won't divulge anymore

I have Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic on my TBR pile. I haven't read anything by her yet, I hope I will like them.

I finally read Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic. They were both great.

I want to be a princess sic's mom's Avatar
    A friend of mine at work that I got into the Dresden Files recommended these books to me. I picked up Bitten, Stolen, and Dime Store Magic the other day. I am almost through Bitten and have to admit that I like it very much and am looking forward to the rest of them. I really like Elena and Clay together. She treats him so badly sometimes but you know she really loves him. I will be glad when she finally realizes that and realizes she likes being a werewolf. That is when she just finally accepts who she really is.

I was shopping for Kelley Armstrong books the other week. I had my heart set on Bitten but I couldn't find a copy. Had to settle for Stolen instead.

She has a new YA series now, Im currently reading the Summoning and its quite good
    Hope to read book 2 next
    Anyone else tried this YA series

I've read the first two books in her Women of the Otherworld series - Bitten and Stolen - and I think she's one of the best urban fantasy authors of the aughts. I don't know, she just seems to be a tad more... clever than the average Joe/Jane.

I couldn't get Bitten either and so read Stolen, cause I like to start at the beginning if I can. It was pretty good. It had sort of a television feel to it, with the prison setting of part of this particular book. She juggled her characters well and the different novels will feature different main characters. She's very good at action. Plotting I thought could be a bit tighter here and there. The nuances of the werewolf dynamics were a bit lost on me, I felt, because I hadn't read the first one, Bitten. I'm kind of interested in reading Dime Store Magic, Industrial Magic, etc., which goes a different direction with another main character. She's fairly hard-boiled, so if you don't like that, someone like Charlaine Harris may be better for you. Elena, the main werewolf character of Stolen, reminded me very much of Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone detective character, only more werewolfy/superheroey of course. It doesn't have a lot of humor to it, though there's a bit here and there.

I'm going to be testing the Kelley Armstrong waters at some point next year.

I would highly recomend kelly armstrong. she reminded me at first of laurel k hamilton with out the XXX rating and has since grown as a writer.