Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Vampires vs. Werewolves

I don't know if this has been debated here before, but it probably already has. I'd like to know who everybody thinks is cooler, vampires or werewolves.
    Also, what are some of your favorite vampires/werewolves in the horror genre?

The slugs have gone mad! dragondrool's Avatar
    I'm not big on vampires at all, though I did like Dracula. I like werewolves better, but have no idea why they appeal more. Easily my favorite is McCammon's The Wolf's Hour.

I've never thought of comparing vampires and werewolves. There are so many different kinds of each -- makes it hard to compare them.

I liked the werewolves in Donna Boyd's books, The Passion and The Promise. Very upscale, elegant, smart, and sexy.

I liked the vampires in Anne Rice's early books -- Lestat, Armand, Claudia.

Dragondrool's favorite werewolf book is mine too.

Not werewolves, but the creatures in Wolfen by Whitley Streiber were interesting, intelligent and deadly.

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntiePam
    Not werewolves, but the creatures in Wolfen by Whitley Streiber were interesting, intelligent and deadly.
    Too bad that the movie version was so divorced from the text. It could've been a very cool movie, but Albert Finney and the whole political diatribe made this movie so boring and lacking in the scary department.

I agree. It was like the movie wanted to be something else, that it should have "relevance" or something. It's worth watching though, if only for the nifty camera work, from the wolves' point of view.

I liked Streiber's vampire book too, The Hunger, but alas, that movie sucked big time.

Registered as What?
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntiePam
    I agree. It was like the movie wanted to be something else, that it should have "relevance" or something. It's worth watching though, if only for the nifty camera work, from the wolves' point of view.

I liked Streiber's vampire book too, The Hunger, but alas, that movie sucked big time.
    Yes, but at least the guys watching the movie had the Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon love scene!

Werewolves, definitely

Much prefer Native American legends of shon:gili:i. The vampies can't take cold weather and like to sneak around. Werewolves here, though, can change at will so long as the sun is down. Skinwalkers? Laughable. As my grandmother used to say, We like skinwalkers, they're delicious (old Nana was something of ... herself ;)

No, the vampire has been worshipped here for app. 15,000 years, but never made it into more than mild horror. Drac, lord of Death, bah. My grandmother was scarier.

I do have to wonder, though, that the Mexicans do not talk of the dark god easily. And, if you want to clear a room of Native Americans, start talking about shon:gili:i.

tsimahei
    Longhouse Gili Yu

empress

Question um...

i can't decide! they're both really cool!

Depending on which particular mythos you decide to believe, the vampire is capable of everything the werewolf is and more.

As such, a clear winner on the "Special Powers" category.

And, if you want to clear a room of Native Americans, start talking about shon:gili:i.
    Or carry the ol' stars and stripes claiming, "We come in peace"

vampires

i personally like vampires better...i dont know its just somethin about how they liv or their abilities that draws me to them!

Talking Vampire definitely

Obviously, everyone can tell that I'm a vampire fan. Given the choice I'd be a vampire... There are definitely drawbacks but as I've so gushed about the book The Vampire Within: The Beginning... at this present time in history - genectics and dna manipulation can eliminate those issues.

vampires vs werewolves

There have been soooo many decently made vampire movies as opposed to the werewolf ones. Can anyone remommend some really good werewolf movies? Doesn't seem to be many out there.

This thread is not for self-promotion.

RE: werewolf movies, as cheesy as the movie is, Silver Bullet is one I fondly remember.
    Last edited by Rob B; June 26th, 2006 at 08:32 PM.

Werewolf movies

My two old favorites are The Howling and An American Werewolf in London. Of course it was in the eighties and special effects were improving by leaps and bounds... okay maybe not leaps and bounds but they were improving.

Quote Originally Posted by lycanthrope1218
    There have been soooo many decently made vampire movies as opposed to the werewolf ones. Can anyone remommend some really good werewolf movies? Doesn't seem to be many out there.
    A Hammer movie from the '60s starring Oliver Reed: Curse of the Werewolf. It's based loosely on Guy Endore's Werewolf in Paris.

If you don't mind old black & white movies, the obvious answers are Werewolf of London and The Wolfman. Slightly off to the side of werewolves, but obviously inspired by them, the Val Lewton produced, Jacques Tourneur directed, Cat People is a terrifically atmospheric movie, the '80s remake much less so.

I've heard very good things about Ginger Snaps and hope to find out more for myself sometime in the near future.

Randy M.