Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar

The Last Guardian of Everness

Has anyone picked it up yet? It's the Fantasy book by John C. Wright, author of the recent and highly acclaimed Sci-fi trilogy " The Golden Age". This book is the first of two parts, the second of which will be released in March. I've been looking forward to this book enormously and it's been delivered at my doorstep at last.

A synopsis for those who've not heard of the book yet:

Young Galen Waylock is the last watchman of the dream-gate beyond which ancient evils wait, hungry for the human world. For a thousand years, Galen's family stood guard, scorned by a world which dismissed the danger as myth. Now, the minions of Darkness stir in the deep, and the long, long watch is over. Galen's patient loyalty seems vindicated.

That loyalty is misplaced. The so-called Power of Light is hostile to modern ideas of human dignity and liberty. No matter who wins the final war between darkness and light, mankind is doomed either to a benevolent dictatorship or a malevolent one. And so Galen makes a third choice: the sleeping Champions of Light are left to sleep. Galen and his companions take the forbidden fairy-weapons themselves. Treason, murder, and disaster follow. The mortals must face the rising Darkness alone.

Or, as the author puts it:

" Everyone from the Archangel Uriel to the Faerie-Queen Titania to Merlin the Magician shows up in this wild epic, with guest appearances by various titans, lunar monsters, unicorns, and demigods, selkie, frost-giants, a pulp-magazine super-hero, not to mention the Most Holy Grail. " [/i]

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
    Last edited by Mithfânion; August 26th, 2004 at 01:36 PM.

Abstainer from Foolosophy
    Its okay. Wright's style really isn't my cup of tea. I don't dislike it mind you. I just find his prose stumbles a bit and is a little too dry in others. You have some pretty peculiar tastes, though. So you might like.

Please let us know what you think of it. I looked for reviews after reading your post, but only found Harriet on a kajillion sites. It sounds good...I'm going to wait until it's all finished, then dive in if it's still sounding good at that point. I'll never run out of serieseseses to read in the meantime.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    But Harriet says it's good! So, what are you waiting for? She's a expert at reviews.....I trust her soooo much.

Keyoke

(Sarcasm was intended in message)

PS This book does look interesting.

I have to clear this up now! I meant it sounds good from what Mithfânion wrote, omg, roflmao, not Harriet!!!

I'll never be able to post here again <hangs head in humiliation>

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Well, I'm reading this book right now, halfway through and I have to say it's every bit as good as I hoped it would be. The story is decidely multi-layered, quite complex, one of those rarer fantasies which is clearly focused on an adult adience. A lot of hidden meanings. Several very interesting plot twists sofar and the characterization has been upto par as well.

The author writes on the back that it might appeal to fans of Gaiman's Sandman and Zelazny's Amber stories but personally the book I am most reminded of is Gaiman's " American Gods". He also reminds me quite a bit of Wolfe with the double meanings and characters from mythology coming into play in the real world.