Thread: Shadowmancer

An imaginary place in my brain where creativity is appreciated!

Shadowmancer

I just bought Shadowmancer by G.P.Taylor, and wondered if anyone else has read it. I'm only a few chapters in at the moment. I think its aimed at a young audience, but like Harry Potter, can be enjoyed by anyone. Its atmospheric right now, if simplistic. It seems to be a mixture of fantasy and reality. I think its set in southern England, and right now this evil vicar is trying to steal the power of God, by using these magic Keruvim statues or something,(perculiar, I know). Fortunately this African priest has turned up with this rock. He's gonna sort it out, I think. Lol I'm not making a good advert for it here, but it isnt bad. I'll put a proper review here in about a week.

An imaginary place in my brain where creativity is appreciated!
    Well I see no-one's posted here, but nevermind. The book is good, and would especially appeal to fans of Harry Potter and the Phillip Pullman series. Rather than fantasy, its more a 'reality expansion' of Christian view of the battle between good and evil.

Obadiah Demurral is the Vicar of Thorpe. He takes tithes, possessions and unfair rent of the peasants and is a very rich man. Though he preaches terrible punishment and 'hell and brimstone' for all sinners, he is secretly a sorceror and would be his own God.

His aim is to aquire the Keruvim, two objects of great power that he believes will allow him to aquire ultimate power and overthrow God. All that stands in the way is a young African priest of Riathamon. A pious servant of God, he has been given powers to fight Demurral and all his evil servants. Unexpected aid comes from the charismatic smuggler Jacob Crane, who always has firearms and cannons when their more subtle defenses do not suffice. Much of the story is told through the eyes of Thomas, a young orphan who is wrapped up in an event bigger than he knows.

This is a fast-paced adventure story, full of both moments of airy fantasy, and all too real moral dialemmas. Nothing is sure, and things are kept in suspense; such as the appearance of Demurrals true master, and the heavenly help sent to the hero's aid.

It is a dark and gritty tale, with rich description despite its primary age range being teenagers. As with many books aimed at a younger audience, it has as much if not more to say for itself. An intriuging storyline combined with a floorless writing stlye makes it, imo, 'hotter than Potter' Hmm, I'm sorry. I challenge someone to write a cheesier phrase than that!

I haven't read the book yet, but I'd like to. It sounds really very interesting.